DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

I fucking love James Marsden in trash movies. That dude goes ALLLLLLL IN on whatever he's doing and I love it. 

I would say I'm going to watch this because it's Sonic and I was a SEGA kid - but - it doesn't feel like it has anything to do with the Sonic games I played so it doesn't illicit much nostalgia. BUT I'd watch it for James Marsden for sure.

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well Holy Shit

F. Gary Gray will direct a Saints Row movie

Hopefully the Leader of the Saints will be played by Wesley Snipes. And then go for surgery halfway through the movie, after which they will be played by Angelina Jolie.

• Haha 2

On 4/30/2019 at 9:27 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I always loved that his complaint was "this song is about something serious. It's not like Beat It"

Because Beat It wasn't literally about the same thing...

A lot of that was ginned up by VH1 because they were desperate to find some sort of conflict or drama in Al's career.

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Not like it'll fix the movie, but hopefully they'll just make him look like...I dunno...Sonic the Hedgehog.

That's a decent start.

11 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

That ones gone over my head I’m afraid @Curt McGirt!

Couldn't find a clip that wasn't more of it than I wanted to show but the Tall Man says "No, it's not" at the end of Phantasm II. And we can't be friends either haha

Edited by Curt McGirt

Rim of the World

Director: McG

It really comes across as a poor poor poor man's Attack the Block but then they dropped that random Insane in the Brain remix and I am all "God Dammit - I am going to have to watch this"

• Haha 1

McG's Babysitter movie on Netflix is really fun. My family had a hoot and a half watching it. So if this is more of the same, I'm for it.

Reposting the trailer for BOOKSMART because I actually got to see it last week in a free screening. 

While it's a fair comparison to say female Superbad,  I don't think this movie felt compelled to push its R rating.   It's comfortable talking about sex, relationships, and the character interactions in a frank, and realistic way. It's also nice having 2 openly LGBT characters - one of whom is a lead. It's treated very much as just a matter of fact, not a big deal.

It's (as of today) sitting at 100% on RT, and is above an 8 on Metacritic.   While, I frankly wouldn't go anywhere near that high, it's not a bad way to spend 1:45 in a nice cool theater on a hot day.   Solid B film. 

• Like 1

The Farewell

Starring Awkwafina

Written and directed by Lulu Wang. The film’s story was based on Wang’s her own family experience that she first shared on an episode of This American Life.

Premiered at Sundance which is where A24 acquired the rights

Here's Disney's slate of movies through 2027!

Hope you like Avatar.

(Also, I believe that March '21 "Live Action Disney" movie is Lady and The Tramp.    (Yes, they're going to remake everything.)

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

(Also, I believe that March '21 "Live Action Disney" movie is Lady and The Tramp.    (Yes, they're going to remake everything.)

Lady and The Tramp has been announced as a Disney+ series.  It seems like the end times for Disney with all the remakes, but I doubt they'd double dip like that.