DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Call of the Wild

Harrison Ford and the most CGIed dog ever

Call of the Wild ... what would have happened if Han Solo hadn't died.  Continues to get old, loses his eyesight, retires to a lush planet with a dog who he thinks is Chewy.

Edited by CSC
  • Haha 6

An actual, honest, unflinching look at MJ's life, from the child abuse he grew up with to the absurd levels of stardom he achieved starting as a kid, to the abuse he perpetuated on children... Could be a fascinating, sobering movie on both the price of stardom and cycles of abuse.

Somehow, I doubt that's the movie they end up making.

1 hour ago, Ace said:

I'd expect this to be as bullshitty as Bohemian Rhapsody was.

I was thinking the same thing. My friend asked me who would play Michael Jackson. I jokingly said Rami Malek. 

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened.

Rocketman worked a million times better than Bohemian Rhapsody because Elton John wanted an unflinching look at how much of an asshole he was and how much of a mess he was. Plus, you know, Taron Edgerton fucking rocked all of the songs and portraying Elton.

A Michael Jackson biopic isn't going to work and is going to be as much bullshit as Bohemian Rhapsody because the family isn't going to allow them to show Jackson in that negative of a light. If it's his full career then maybe they show him being an eccentric, but misunderstood artist or something dumb like that.

Had another thought just now...they're going to have Bruno Mars play MJ, aren't they?

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

A Jackson movie that covers his life as a kid up until he was 18 or up until Thriller could be fascinating and (maybe) avoids many of the more sordid parts of his biography. 

The Jacksons: An American Dream goes all the way until the accident where Michael's hair caught on fire during a Pepsi commercial shoot (January 1984) but they don't touch on Michael as a solo artist all that much if any. It's literally four or five hours of the family being dysfunctional. The problem here though is no one can top Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs as Joe Jackson. Keep in mind, the Suzanne de Passe miniseries came out as the Jackson family drama with everyone (obviously including Michael and La Toya) reemerged and Janet's career haven't already taken off a few years prior. To cover Michael Jackson (whether or not you even want to cover certain allegations and accusations) would already require it to be a pretty long film. To do it in the proper context of the entire Jackson family, you would have to make it longer than a David Lean epic length with intermissions. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2

Alternatively, just do a remake of this:

That's the trailer. The full movie might also be on YouTube, broken up into ten minute sections, like.

From what I remember, it's pretty nonsensical. Psychoanalyst fuel, though.

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

Alternatively, just do a remake of this:

That's the trailer. The full movie might also be on YouTube, broken up into ten minute sections, like.

From what I remember, it's pretty nonsensical. Psychoanalyst fuel, though.

VH1 use to devote an entire seven or eight hour block once a month in the late 90s to the mid 2000s playing The Jacksons: An American Dream followed by Moonwalker. 

I think Moonwalker only played on British terrestrial TV once, on channel 4. British VH-1 used to devote every bank holiday to Queen, though. Literally, 24 hours of every Queen video ever made, interspersed with Queen documentaries and Queen at Live Aid.

Never anyone else at Live Aid though. History seems to have forgotten that a bunch of other acts also played, and that half the concert was in America. Phil Collins played both Live Aid shows, as I recall.

• Like 2

You’d have though this would have been the lasting memory of live aid. But i guess most people want t9 blot it from their memories.

(we had thought about going, but that crowd at JFK was going to be so insane.)

Edited by odessasteps

Funny how MTV forgot to list Tony Thompson as the second drummer for that Zep set. It's not like he wasn't relevant in '85 considering he was the drummer for Power Station and just a few years removed from Chic.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AxB said:

I think Moonwalker only played on British terrestrial TV once, on channel 4. British VH-1 used to devote every bank holiday to Queen, though. Literally, 24 hours of every Queen video ever made, interspersed with Queen documentaries and Queen at Live Aid.

Never anyone else at Live Aid though. History seems to have forgotten that a bunch of other acts also played, and that half the concert was in America. Phil Collins played both Live Aid shows, as I recall.

I think you're right.

• Thanks 1

For 3 years as a child I would go to my local video store, and basically have a rotation of videos I would rent. Those would be a Transformers VHS that had the pilot(I didn’t understand it at the time, but some asshole taped over about 30 seconds of it with a classical music concert), a Spider-Man VHS that had the pilot to the classic series & a episode of 80’s animated Spider-Man(The Gadgeteer episode), and Moonwalker. That movie was both awesome, and frightening as a kid. 

Top 3 scenes that made me want to shut my eyes in Moonwalker...

3. The underground layer with the spiders.

2. The scene where Mr. Big beats the shit out of the kid, beats the shit out of Micheal, and the first portion of Micheal turning into a robot. 
SlimFarawayGalapagosalbatross-max-1mb.gi

Nightmare fuel

1. The claymation grandma, and her grandson(“IT’S MICHEAL JACKSON!!!). Actually mark that whole sequence before everything turns into claymation. This scene made me fear mascots, and theme park walk around characters for years as a child. As an adult I still flinch when I walk around a corner at Disney, and Winnie The Pooh is standing there taking pictures.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/23/2019 at 3:42 PM, odessasteps said:

You’d have though this would have been the lasting memory of live aid. But i guess most people want t9 blot it from their memories.

(we had thought about going, but that crowd at JFK was going to be so insane.)

Plant and Page have refused it to even be rebroadcast.