DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, John Austin said:

Wasn't that old John Travolta movie. I think it was called A Civil Action based on the same case?

No - what is sad is that was based on a DIFFERENT cause of a company polluting a town

The Civil Action one was based on a town in Massachusetts in the 80s

On 9/18/2019 at 9:43 AM, Kuetsar said:

Speaking of the Princess Bride, I recently read Cary Elwes book about the making of it, and it well worth seeking out. . . .

I'll second this. I read it in very short order (over 2 days). Usually it takes me weeks to finish a book. 

• Like 1

I know remaking classics is lazy garbage and it rarely works out. But I don't understand the mentality that doing these things "damage" the original, as a tweet on the last page suggested. Its reputation is long since established, and anyone who wants to watch it has plenty of ways to do so. If some producer wants to set their money on fire, more power to them. I already own my copy. They can't take that away from me. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I know remaking classics is lazy garbage and it rarely works out. But I don't understand the mentality that doing these things "damage" the original, as a tweet on the last page suggested. Its reputation is long since established, and anyone who wants to watch it has plenty of ways to do so. If some producer wants to set their money on fire, more power to them. I already own my copy. They can't take that away from me. 

He was borrowing a quote from the movie. "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in the world. Would be a shame to damage yours."

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, The Comedian said:

If the pig kidnappers are White Supremacists and we get to see Cage kill the fuck out of them, that would be pretty great...

ftfy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And Deadline says New Jack City is getting rebooted

Supposedly Malcolm M. Mays is writing the script

Is the New Jack swing genre getting rebooted as well? I mean the title is a bit outdated now and that's being kind.

Last week or the week before, I saw on Twitter that House Party is getting remade as well. I hope this means Full Force does an album or something to justify this shit.

13 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I would like to think the whole Tekashi69 snitching stuff and everyone (most of them who probably won't even born when the movie came out) using the Nino Brown courtroom scene as a meme to ridicule that shows that Wesley Snipes IS Nino Brown. You can't top that.

42 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Is the New Jack swing genre getting rebooted as well? I mean the title is a bit outdated now and that's being kind.

I have long since retired my graffiti enhanced and stone washed jean overalls and my Reebok Pumps and I am too old to sport a Gumby fade and be taken seriously.

I suppose you could give the CMB the same facelift that Priest got in the Superfly reboot and have Nino do things launder his money with Bitcoin minglers and use either creative social media cues or the Dark Web to stay in touch his customers and henchmen, but if he did that then it's sorta not New Jack City anymore.

New Jack City is a VERY 80's crime film.  The whole point of the movie was to respond to "Just Say No!" with "We're Too Busy Stacking This Fucking Paper To Just Say No!"

Edited by J.T.

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I have long since retired my graffiti enhanced overalls and my bleach white Air Force Ones.

I suppose you could give the CMB the same facelift that Priest got in the Superfly reboot and have Nino do things like hide his money in Bitcoin minglers and use social media to contact his customers and mules, but there aren't very many criminal organizations around today that conducts business the way that the 80's CMB did and that was sorta the point.

New Jack City is a VERY 80's crime film.  A modern reboot would kinda not make it New Jack City anymore.

I mean I haven't seen the new Superfly reimagining but I think that would have also applied to that as well. Not just because someone is trying to modernize and update it, but it's been ripped off so much that there is only so far you can go with it. I mean how many black B-movies (i.e. the Roc-A-Fella films from like 15+ years ago like State Property and Paid in Full) have you seen where naked people are making drugs in some makeshift lab? It was wild to see in 1990 and 1991, not so much now. Plus, along with Jungle Fever's depiction of it, the portrayal of the crack epidemic was so goddamn real because you didn't see much of it on TV or in film outside of Cops, local news, and PSAs. FWIW it also helped that Sam Jackson was fresh from rehab for his own addiction when he did Jungle Fever. That's why he was so fucking convincing as Gator Purify.

For example, I saw White Boy Rick when it came out. The Wershe family you could buy (Bruce Dern as usual and the British actress playing Rick Jr's sister were great). The way the black characters were written was HORRENDOUS though, and that's where the film kinda fell apart (I saw a critic bring that up when the reviews came out so apparently I wasn't the only one who felt that way). RJ Cyler and Jonathan Majors are pretty good actors, but they weren't given anything to work with. Danny Brown, who isn't even an actor, came off as the most convincing person in that film who wasn't part of the Wershe family and most of that stems from the fact he is actually from Detroit. 

The flattening of blackness where writers and/or directors hope the actors understand something they (the people behind the camera) don't understand just because they happen to be black makes it very hard for me to believe they can get these reboots to be anywhere on par with originals. You don't have the ingredients to make it work. When a rapper like Danny Brown (or YG who I believe was also in White Boy Rick) outshine actual trained actors with their style, charisma, and personality in what amounts to extended cameos, you got a real problem. Ice T was great in New Jack City too but who does everyone talk about and quote to this very day? Fucking Wesley Snipes as Nino Brown.