DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

On 9/11/2019 at 8:28 PM, Curt McGirt said:

The craziest part reading that report is 

Reveal hidden contents

THEY LOCKED THE DOORS OF THE FUCKING THEATER DURING AN AUDIENCE STAMPEDE

I mean, how can anything compare to that?

The Rite Of Spring Riot of 1913?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2019 at 5:41 AM, J.T. said:

If John Woo isn't on board or if this movie doesn't have the look and feel of a Woo production, this movie can go fuck itself.

If there are no slow motion scenes of doves in flight or some poor bastard taking a dirt bike to the chest or no climactic gunfight in someplace totally inappropriate like a hospital or a public library, this movie will be garbage.

It'll probably be directed by Paul Fiege and star Kristin Wiig and Melissa McCarthy

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Deadline says Set It Off will be remade

...Alright. I guess. 

(produced by Issa Rae)

Who would like sign my change.org petition to stop this from getting remade? Any takers? ?

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Funny since Widows felt like a remake of Set it Off.

Widows and The Kitchen have some elements of Set It Off (Widows has a big one in particular that I won't spoil here if you haven't seen it), but besides Blair Underwood as a love interest and plot device, there are no major male characters in Set It Off really. Therefore, you don't have the "we're taking over for our significant others" gender swap theme. In Widows, the women didn't even really know each other while all the women in Set It Off were best friends (or in a relationship) and co-workers. Besides being like a staple of growing up black in the 90s, I think I liked (the now original) Set It Off much better than the current female empowerment slate of films because the performances were so strong and everything made sense enough that you didn't need a bunch of different characters anyway. It was a pretty timely film. Remaking it twenty five years later just seems like a waste when it's clear the studios have ran out of permutations to make this work anyway. You could argue it's not working in the first place. Both Widows and The Kitchen bombed. Widows had a giant ensemble, but when I saw it, I still felt you could have casted it much better afterwards and trimmed the running time. I thought The Kitchen was okay (Margo Martindale was fucking great and Domhnall Gleeson was good), but that's with extremely low expectations going in. They still had a bunch of characters actors in it who did nothing. The way the film played out, that script felt like it needed a couple more rewrites at least.

Home Alone is a perfectly fine little family movie that gets by on a decent script and a supremely charismatic child star, overcoming some really pedestrian directing. A remake is a perfectly fine idea, better than doing a fifth sequel.

The Princess Bride is a literally perfect movie and remaking it should be a criminal offense.

• Like 1

Dark Waters

Directed: Todd Haynes

That cast....

The film is based on Nathaniel Rich’s New York Times Magazine article “The Lawyer Who Became DuPont’s Worst Nightmare.” Corporate defense attorney Robert Bilott had been practicing law for eight years when he took on an environmental suit against the chemical company DuPont. The suit would turn into a battle exposing a decades-long history of chemical pollution. 

I should also point out that this was originally supposed to come out next year but they moved it up to get it into Oscar contention

49 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Dark Waters

Directed: Todd Haynes

That cast....

I should also point out that this was originally supposed to come out next year but they moved it up to get it into Oscar contention

Wasn't that old John Travolta movie. I think it was called A Civil Action based on the same case?