DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

I think we're getting closer and closer to all of these heading to Netflix to find their audience.  Which I think is a bad thing because a movie like The Irishman I would've definitely wanted to see in the theater (it's a very limited release from the sound of it).  

On the other hand,  these movies are probably being consumed by more people on Netflix so there's that. Pretty soon the movie theaters are going to be showing nothing but Disney IP and the like.  They might as well turn movie theaters into Chuck E. Cheese complete with lackluster pizza and overpriced games. 

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think we're getting closer and closer to all of these heading to Netflix to find their audience.  Which I think is a bad thing because a movie like The Irishman I would've definitely wanted to see in the theater (it's a very limited release from the sound of it).  

On the other hand,  these movies are probably being consumed by more people on Netflix so there's that. Pretty soon the movie theaters are going to be showing nothing but Disney IP and the like.  They might as well turn movie theaters into Chuck E. Cheese complete with lackluster pizza and overpriced games. 

Tarantino was actually smart. He put his movie, which had a long runtime, in late July weeks after all the major comic books movies had been released and far away from the other potential nominees. I'd rather deal with recency bias than be swept away in the madness of every other week a new film being advertised by some "best film of the year" - Rolling Stone/Variety/etc. blurb. By early November, that's not going to mean shit anymore for the rest of the year because right now a dozen plus films can fit that description technically.

Shit,  A24 looks to have two fantastic films facing each other with The Lighthouse and Waves.  It's good to be a movie fan but some of these are going to be forgotten about.  

Reminds me of when I thought for sure Prisoners would get some run during award season and it was basically shut out. 

• Like 1

All I know(and care to know) about the Goldfinch is that when I saw a trailer for it before some movie(maybe Spiderman?) it was as agonizing a trailer as I've seen in a while. Like 30 seconds in I knew some would have to pay ME some serious cash for me to watch that piece of shit.

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

All I know(and care to know) about the Goldfinch is that when I saw a trailer for it before some movie(maybe Spiderman?) it was as agonizing a trailer as I've seen in a while. Like 30 seconds in I knew some would have to pay ME some serious cash for me to watch that piece of shit.

I'm sure it's going to be breathtakingly beautiful (Deakins) but otherwise it looks real bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm sure it's going to be breathtakingly beautiful (Deakins) but otherwise it looks real bad.

Roger Deakins should be on more Academy Awards for Best Cinematography than just the one. He's missed out on 'em. 

Even if the film's shit, Meryl Streep will likely get an Academy Award nomination with how much the board loves her.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm genuinely not sure what to say about this. 

If John Woo isn't on board or if this movie doesn't have the look and feel of a Woo production, this movie can go fuck itself.

If there are no slow motion scenes of doves in flight or some poor bastard taking a dirt bike to the chest or no climactic gunfight in someplace totally inappropriate like a hospital or a public library, this movie will be garbage.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Tank Girl is being rebooted too, by Margot Robbie's company, because fuck my childhood I guess.

I mentioned it in the Comic Book Movies Not Worthy Of Their Own Thread dealie.

I am good with it since Margot is an Aussie and the comic is set in post-apocalypse Austraila and the movie is pretty much an excuse to have Margot drunk and disorderly and wear as many pairs of tiny pants as possible.  That's not necessarily a bad thing.

If they're going to do this, they need to do it right and cast the entire trifecta of Tank Girl, Jet Girl, and Sub Girl.

You read Tank Girl as a kid?  I'm pretty certain that if my folks had ever found my copy of Dirty Old Tank Girl Super Special, I wouldn't be alive today.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I mentioned it in the Comic Book Movies Not Worthy Of Their Own Thread dealie.

I am good with it since Margot is an Aussie and the comic is set in post-apocalypse Austraila and the movie is pretty much an excuse to have Margot drunk and disorderly and wear as many pairs of tiny pants as possible.  That's not necessarily a bad thing.

If they're going to do this, they need to do it right and cast the entire trifecta of Tank Girl, Jet Girl, and Sub Girl.

You read Tank Girl as a kid?  I'm pretty certain that if my folks had ever found my copy of Dirty Old Tank Girl Super Special, I wouldn't be alive today.

Bring back Ice T

Apparently when Ice-T was offered the role in Tank Girl, he was on a bad phone line and could barely hear them. He thought they wanted him to play a Stripper. Most disappointed to find out it was actually a Ripper. Especially when he found out what a Ripper was.

18 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Bring back Ice T

I would imagine that depending on the budget, the Rippers will probably end up being totally or mostly CGI which will make the romantic encounter scenes between Jet, Rebecca, and their respective Ripper paramours rather awkward.

You know how everybody says Blood Meridian will never be filmed, because of its brutal subject matter? Looks like that might've been eclipsed. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/03/the-painted-bird-review-vaclav-mahoul

The craziest part reading that report is 

Spoiler

THEY LOCKED THE DOORS OF THE FUCKING THEATER DURING AN AUDIENCE STAMPEDE

I mean, how can anything compare to that?

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1