DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

I have a lot of faith in Flanagan coming out of THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE, but that's going to be a difficult one to wrangle.

I also have a lot of questions about how he'll handle 

Jack Torrance's role in this.  Because they're clearly leaning into the iconography of the film, it would be weird to have Jack show up and not be JACK.  Maybe they'll ROGUE ONE him?  

Of course, I wouldn't be sad if they just cut that cheap happy ending that King wrote for himself, altogether.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:22 PM, EVA said:

I have a lot of faith in Flanagan coming out of THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE, but that's going to be a difficult one to wrangle.

I also have a lot of questions about how he'll handle 

Reveal hidden contents

Jack Torrance's role in this.  Because they're clearly leaning into the iconography of the film, it would be weird to have Jack show up and not be JACK.  Maybe they'll ROGUE ONE him?  

Of course, I wouldn't be sad if they just cut that cheap happy ending that King wrote for himself, altogether.

King is an Executive Producer and also has a writing credit so you already know the answer to that..

Spoiler

King has always hated Kubrick's version of The Shining so Doctor Sleep will be very revisionist.   

We already know from the casting that Dick Hallorann is very much alive so I think that Doctor Sleep will do it's best to put in the trappings from Kubrick's film that we're most familiar with and still stay true to the novel.

If King really wanted to be an asshole, he'd cast Stephen Weber aka Jack Torrence from the ABC miniseries to be Force Ghost Jack in this production.

And I rather like the somber ending for Doctor Sleep.  If anyone deserves a break from torment, it's Danny.

One thing I do want, however, is for Flannigan to toughen up the film version of The True Knot.  For a bunch of scary psychic vampires, they are pretty bumbling and inept villains as far as King's prose BBEGs go. 

They are nowhere near the level of menace of Pennywise, Randall Flagg or Blaine the Mono, much less Craig Toomey or the Raggedy Man.

Edited by J.T.

Both of these are for the same movie:

MARRIAGE STORY

Starring Adam Driver, Scarlett Johansson, Laura Dern, Ray Liotta, and Alan Alda 

Directed by Noah Baumbach 

--

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they're both getting nominations out of this. 

It should be noted that Marriage Story, Ford v. Ferrari, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, and Knives Out are all currently at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. Hustlers is at 95%. Thank god the Summer Blockbuster contest is over.

Ad Astra is at 84% and Dolemite is My Name is hovering around 83 to 88% early on after being at 100% just hours ago. Gonna be a lot of people left out come awards season.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

One movie that won't be getting nominations is Goldfinch

Early reviews are brutal

Same with The Laundromat. Not as brutal, but given the ensemble and the director, it's a very big disappointment.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It should be noted that Marriage Story, Ford v. Ferrari, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, and Knives Out are all currently at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. Hustlers is at 95%. Thank god the Summer Blockbuster contest is over.

Ad Astra is at 84% and Dolemite is My Name is hovering around 83 to 88% early on after being at 100% just hours ago. Gonna be a lot of people left out come awards season.

Pitt or someone else will get Best Actor because no snobs in the voters block will want crazy ass Joachim Phoenix to win and be the second man to get an Oscar for playing the Joker.

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Pitt or someone else will get Best Actor because no snobs in the voters block will want crazy ass Joachim Phoenix to win and be the second man to get an Oscar for playing the Joker.

Hell, it would be a win if he (Phoenix) gets nominated. Keep in mind, there are like a dozen major award shows BEFORE the Academy Awards. They're going to use all that awards hype to sell the DVDs and Blu-rays (like it was gonna need the help in the first place).

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

One movie that won't be getting nominations is Goldfinch

Early reviews are brutal

I've seen like, 5 different trailers for Goldfinch last night while remembering why I don't watch shit on Sundance Channel (holy shit they cram in more commercials than movie), and I can't tell you what the fuck the movie is supposed to be.

The Oscar is going to between Tom Hanks being Mr Rogers and Phoenix as the Joker and we are going to have to suffer through 19994425852 people thinking they are the first to come up with a GOOD VS EVIL joke

6 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I've seen like, 5 different trailers for Goldfinch last night while remembering why I don't watch shit on Sundance Channel (holy shit they cram in more commercials than movie), and I can't tell you what the fuck the movie is supposed to be.

It also doesn't help it looks boring as all get-out.

You gotta love they wasted the talents of Roger Deakins on what looks to be a piece of shit film. At least he will probably get nominated for 1917.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Goldfinch is a movie directed by someone who's last film was a Best Picture nom, based on a Pulitzer prize winning best seller, starring Nicole Kidman, shot by Roger Fucking Deakins that is opening in mid-September. I mean, that's all you needed to know that it is terrible. If anything was working, it would've gotten an Oscar timed release.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Goldfinch is a movie directed by someone who's last film was a Best Picture nom, based on a Pulitzer prize winning best seller, starring Nicole Kidman, shot by Roger Fucking Deakins that is opening in mid-September. I mean, that's all you needed to know that it is terrible. If anything was working, it would've gotten an Oscar timed release.

I think WB figured that it would be easier to capitalize on any festival buzz if they dropped right after it premiered at TIFF. Nicole Kidman is Nicole Kidman, but she ain't exactly box office gold. Ansel Elgort is someone they want to get over, but I don't think people were going to come out in droves just to see him. Plus, the rest of the release calendar is loaded. They had to push Just Mercy to next year even though it's getting an Oscar qualifying run. Now I dunno about cannibalizing your own film by going the week after IT Chapter Two, but if they released it a couple weeks later on 9/27, it would be a week before Joker which is getting a bunch of their advertising dollars. Next week is Ad Astra (which is going for the Oscar bait older demo) and this week has Hustlers which is likely going after women and a more urban audience. Given how pedestrian and confusing the trailers were, mid September was probably the ideal date because it would not survive in the shark infested waters of October, November, and December under the best of circumstances (i.e. the critics not panning it).

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

If it was good, i would've hit L.A. and NYC in late December and rolled out in January. 

I think the problem with that if you have a bunch of movies jumbled together during the holiday season, you're at the mercy of whether or not people are burned out on Oscar bait and want to go see something not that (i.e. Aquaman). I think that's what happened with Vice last year. Just Mercy, a WB picture, is going wide on January 10. A week later is Bad Boys for Life. Yeah, I don't see it doing well against that.

The moment it got scheduled for September, I wrote it off.

To be fair, it was suppose to come out October 11. What happened was Joker was suppose (and still is) to be released on 10/4, but they also wanted to slot the new Ben Affleck film directed by Gavin O'Connor in October. If they had put that latter movie on October 18, they would have been going back-to-back-to-back weeks which obviously would be crazy. So, they went to September 13 with nothing else coming out at the time (Hustlers didn't have a release date at the time) so they could have a two week window between Joker and Torrance (now called The Way Back for whatever reason and has since been moved to March 6 of next year). In November, they're going back-to-back-to-back with Motherless Brooklyn, Doctor Sleep, and The Good Liar and largely taking the rest of the year off to avoid the box office bludgeoning that be administered by Frozen 2, the Jumanji sequel, and The Rise of Skywalker. So that one was by force and not by choice.