DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

The Tom Hanks is Mister Rogers movie

Prepare for weeping. Or not you fucking robot.

Damn, if the trailer is putting a lump in my throat, I can only imagine the uncontrollable sobbing that will go down in the theater.

Stupid movie.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I feel like Tom Hanks has spent his entire career waiting to look old enough to play Mr. Rogers.

I feel like he's spent his entire career doing awesome things to make sure people forget he was the co-star of the sitcom, Bosom Buddies.

He'd rather you remember Bachelor Party than his television career.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

I was just coming in here to post this when the notification of you adding a post popped up.

That trailer cannot stand on the rooftop and scream any louder "please give Tom Hanks the Best Actor Oscar!"

Tom Hanks would equal Daniel Day-Lewis as the only three time winner of the Academy Award for Best Actor.

Early days but I can see Best Actor nominees between:

Tom Hanks (A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood), Taron Egerton (Rocketman), Brad Pitt or Leonardo DiCaprio (One Upon a Time in Hollywood), Antonio Banderas (Pain and Glory), Christian Bale (Ford v. Ferrari) and Joaquin Phoenix (Joker). Dark horse but likely misses out in Robert Downey Jr. (Avengers: Endgame).

55 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Man, I loved Bachelor Party when I was a kid.

Now though? That movie is garbage.

It's mostly garbage. But the bit with that girl from the Whitesnake videos in it is good. Tawny Kitaen.

Motherfucking Tom Hanks. He has enough money to have sent the doc wide but instead he looks as his Oscar shelf and the little statues collectively tell him "Just one more, daddy! One more of us!"

Speaking of music soundtracks on vinyl, I sat through all of Heat on TV last night (til 5 in the morning) and curse the fact that soundtrack isn't on wax. 

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

The Tom Hanks is Mister Rogers movie

Prepare for weeping. Or not you fucking robot.

Maybe it’s the dark comedy parody person in me, but I’m expecting a twist where it ends like The Vanishing with Mr. Rodgers successfully vanishing The Americans guy.

Harriet

Starring Cynthia Erivo, Leslie Odom, Jr., and Janelle Monae.

Ms. Erivo has an Emmy, Tony, and Grammy all for The Color Purple. She could complete the EGOT with this.

Edited by Ace

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

"I hit Alex."

All I remember from that movie is the hot burlesque dancer that performed with Max the Magical Sexual Mule and this bit of tacky hilarity that isn't quite safe for work.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Everything else, thankfully, is a blur.

Wait' that's a lie.   I do remember shamefully finding the extremely racist scene with the Indian pimp very funny.

I was young and stupid..

Edited by J.T.

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Motherfucking Tom Hanks. He has enough money to have sent the doc wide but instead he looks as his Oscar shelf and the little statues collectively tell him "Just one more, daddy! One more of us!"

Speaking of music soundtracks on vinyl, I sat through all of Heat on TV last night (til 5 in the morning) and curse the fact that soundtrack isn't on wax. 

To be fair, I knew of Hanks signing to play Rogers well before the Documentary got buzz last year. I'm sure it came first and Hollywood types went "that is an interesting subject," but I sense a documentary about Fred Rogers being very popular was a little surprising, and it did run wide enough to play in my small town for at least a week or two last year.

No.  It was not nominated.   

Free Solo won. 

The documentary people with the Academy have always been VERY bitchy when a documentary gets mainstream buzz/success.  That being said, Free Solo was excellent - if borderline irresponsible - and you should take the time to watch it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The documentary people with the Academy have always been VERY bitchy when a documentary gets mainstream buzz/success.  That being said, Free Solo was excellent - if borderline irresponsible - and you should take the time to watch it.

And they arent even consistent with that since OJ Made in America won a couple of years ago (and that was technically a fucking miniseries)

OR the fact that fucking Inconvenient Truth won

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

IIRC, Hoop Dreams somehow wasn't even nominated.

It wasn't but it got a nominations for Best Editing

There was some bizarro eligibility reason it wasn't nominated if I remember correctly

On 7/19/2019 at 10:53 AM, J.T. said:

There is still the stigma of getting caught buying the soundtrack at your local FYE.

Uh, do you have the Cats soundtrack.

It's on the Featured CD's endcap near clothing racks, YOU FUCKING FURRY~!

FYE cashier nerds will indeed call you out if your nerd passion is beyond freshness date.  I went to get a copy of Venus Wars on DVD and was told that the Anime For Old Men section was in the back near the posters.

That's what BMG and Columbia House were for - the original "sent to you in discreet packaging" service to get you all that sweet, weird music you didn't want the cute chick at Warehouse Music to see you buying even though you've been renting wrestling tapes from there for years and would never have a shot at her anyway. 

Edited by CSC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Going to be hard to top the original. Woody aping Steve Austin's look, spray painting Dale Earnhardt's 3 on every vehicle he drove, the stuff with the Twinkies, words on the screen (which have gotten a little played out), that one cameo (not spoiling it in case no one has seen the move because it's one of the best cameos ever), and so much more made that first one awesome.

• Like 1

LOL I watched that Gemini Man trailer wondering just how Ang Lee was going to shoehorn in family drama into this action movie.

50 seconds in Will Smith refers to being an orphan and not understanding why this is happening. Nice job, Ang.