DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

I think if Disney spaced out Aladdin and Lion King etc.  and put more effort into making them good they'd make even more money but it is what it is,  they are making big box office bank.  I still think they'll all be mostly forgotten in a few years while the animated classics will remain timeless. 

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think if Disney spaced out Aladdin and Lion King etc.  and put more effort into making them good they'd make even more money but it is what it is,  they are making big box office bank.  I still think they'll all be mostly forgotten in a few years while the animated classics will remain timeless. 

I don't know, Aladdin is knocking on the door of 1 billion right now. I mean, maybe it could (it's definitely sold less tickets than the 92 classic) but I think they are probably getting as much as they can out of these without actually making them better movies. Which they clearly aren't interested in doing, when they can accomplish this with no creativity needed.

I think The Lion King is going to absolutely conquer the box office next week. For reasons I've never quite understood, it was the most popular of the Disney Renaissance films by an order of magnitude, and since the other two live action Renaissance remakes have made crazy money, indications are great for KSimba.

Although, to me, it just looks dreadful.

7 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't know, Aladdin is knocking on the door of 1 billion right now. I mean, maybe it could (it's definitely sold less tickets than the 92 classic) but I think they are probably getting as much as they can out of these without actually making them better movies. Which they clearly aren't interested in doing, when they can accomplish this with no creativity needed.

I think The Lion King is going to absolutely conquer the box office next week. For reasons I've never quite understood, it was the most popular of the Disney Renaissance films by an order of magnitude, and since the other two live action Renaissance remakes have made crazy money, indications are great for KSimba.

Although, to me, it just looks dreadful.

It will make $1.3 billion probably but I feel if you take time and make them well they would make a little more but also live on forever. The reaction to these after it's BO run is always mehhh

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It will make $1.3 billion probably but I feel if you take time and make them well they would make a little more but also live on forever. The reaction to these after it's BO run is always mehhh

I'm not sure Disney cares. They are moving from "selling the VHS/DVD/Blu Ray" to "We just need content on the service" and it's lot easier to just point to "5,000 hours of family friendly content for $6.99 a month!" than it is to get people to shell out $25 a pop for these movies.

Quality is less important than content and box-office

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm not sure Disney cares. They are moving from "selling the VHS/DVD/Blu Ray" to "We just need content on the service" and it's lot easier to just point to "5,000 hours of family friendly content for $6.99 a month!" than it is to get people to shell out $25 a pop for these movies.

Quality is less important than content and box-office

Well as long as the audience don't care then Disney or any studio won't have to change their model. Their Lucasfilm division was forced to reevaluate but their live action remakes keeps trucking. I wish the box office was still like when I was a kid and it'd be Honey, I Shrunk the Kids one week and an action movie like Cliffhanger and Mrs. Doubtfire and A Few Good Men... it just seemed like there was room for all genres.

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Well as long as the audience don't care then Disney or any studio won't have to change their model. Their Lucasfilm division was forced to reevaluate but their live action remakes keeps trucking. I wish the box office was still like when I was a kid and it'd be Honey, I Shrunk the Kids one week and an action movie like Cliffhanger and Mrs. Doubtfire and A Few Good Men... it just seemed like there was room for all genres.

You're not wrong.

We seem to be rather quickly headed to a world where mid-budget and lower films become TV/streaming projects and theaters only truck in blockbusters.

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

You're not wrong.

We seem to be rather quickly headed to a world where mid-budget and lower films become TV/streaming projects and theaters only truck in blockbusters.

I saw the Lady and The Tramp remake on Tessa Thompson's IMDB page and I didn't remember ever seeing it on the film release schedule anyway. Then, I remembered Disney+. 

As far as "content" for Disney goes, someone else brought this up, but why aren't they treating Star Wars the same as the MCU? It's really strange to churn out 3 MCU movies in most years (2 in others) that are all forward thinking and they're all pushing the story forward, but with Star Wars it's one per year and the only movies that push the story forward are the Skywalker Saga movies. They have an entire galaxy to explore, but they're currently or formerly stuck in this mindset of only sticking to the Skywalker stuff and half of the movies have to be prequels.

Kevin Feige and the MCU have shown you the formula for being successful with multiple movies per year and there's a template to all of this, but Star Wars just doesn't follow it.

At the very least, it's nice that the Mandalorian is original content that isn't a prequel.

I mean they started out slowly with the MCU too.  Also, Star Wars is like the holy grail nerd thing so they wanted to explore more safe spaces in the story, hence the nostalgia push for even the new sequels.  Look how poorly the man-children reacted when Rian Johnson did something different in TLJ.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Trolls World Tour

Y'all take your kids to see some terrible movies thus we keep getting more of them

My daughter is sixteen and avoids most animated movies like the plague, so you can't blame me for this anymore.

Now when more YA novels get turned into shitty movies, it will probably be my fault when they start making more.

I still can't believe I sat through Everything, Everything with my kid.  I will never get those two hours back.

There was a rumor going around this morning that Coraline (or Change)* was going to get a Live Action Remake.   Neil Gaiman himself said that was news to him:

He followed up later and basically said the rumors are completely untrue.  

* - This esoteric joke is for the possible 4 theater geeks on this board.

3 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

I mean they started out slowly with the MCU too.  Also, Star Wars is like the holy grail nerd thing so they wanted to explore more safe spaces in the story, hence the nostalgia push for even the new sequels.  Look how poorly the man-children reacted when Rian Johnson did something different in TLJ.

Hrmm, that's a good point ?

• Like 1

I don't know if it's worth revisiting in this thread but I feel I would have liked The Last Jedi more if Rian had set the table for an interesting end to this trilogy.  He didn't make me care about where Kylo or Finn or Rey's stories are headed and he killed off many of J.J.'s ideas so now we are heading into a part 3 where J.J is still going to be doing introduction pieces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know if it's worth revisiting in this thread but I feel I would have liked The Last Jedi more if Rian had set the table for an interesting end to this trilogy.  He didn't make me care about where Kylo or Finn or Rey's stories are headed and he killed off many of J.J.'s ideas so now we are heading into a part 3 where J.J is still going to be doing introduction pieces.

Disney rushed things and made a big mistake not having it be either J.J.'s or Rian's vision throughout the trilogy. The man-children who had the most vocal issues with Last Jedi were doing it for political reasons and would have done the same if J.J. directed the flick, December 2015 and December 2017 are very very different culture wise. 

And juuuust to take us all back...

On 6/26/2019 at 11:09 PM, Casey said:

I'm pretty sure Akira starts production in July.

On 6/27/2019 at 9:13 AM, Craig H said:

We'll see about that. 

On 6/27/2019 at 1:19 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Out of context that sounds somewhat diabolical. Please don't do anything hasty.

*fast forward two months to a live look at Craig trying to interrupt the Akira production*

473360_v2.gif

On 6/27/2019 at 1:25 PM, Craig H said:

For the longest time it has felt like the universe was firmly against a live action Akira from being made. I'd hate to see the running gag end.

Akira is never being made. The universe won't ever allow it.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, happjack said:

Disney rushed things and made a big mistake not having it be either J.J.'s or Rian's vision throughout the trilogy. The man-children who had the most vocal issues with Last Jedi were doing it for political reasons and would have done the same if J.J. directed the flick, December 2015 and December 2017 are very very different culture wise. 

I understand that.. sadly...  but I feel there are real criticisms to be made about what Rian gave us in Episode VIII and there are real concerns heading into Episode IX. 

With that said,  Disney rushing the shit out of Star Wars is similar to them rushing the shit out of these live action remakes.  I just wonder why the hell do they NOT have a Feige for either of these branches?  The MCU is not perfect by any means and I've been critical of a few of the movies and choices they've made.. however..  Feige at least has a clear plan and path and the groundwork is there and these ideas are conceived years in advance.  Star Wars needed planning and it needed time.  It needed care and effort and I don't believe we got that from the very start.   J.J. spent a lot of time on nostalgia and everything he did to make sure the series was using practical effects and all that was amazing attention to detail but then he pulled a J.J. and said "hey,  all these ideas.. here you go..  now you finish it."   Rian did finish it.  Problem is there is still one more movie that was not mapped out.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And juuuust to take us all back...

Akira is never being made. The universe won't ever allow it.

higherpower-645x370.jpg

"Ow, son of a bitch"

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Fair point, but JJ's ideas were bad.  I mean I really enjoyed TFA and it was exactly what we needed after the disappointing prequels: an easy-to-digest nostalgia fest that hit the right notes.  But the ideas that Johnson specifically destroyed were mostly shitty just JJ trademark mystery boxes.  "Who are Rey's parents?"  "Who is Snoke?"  "What's up with that polar bear?"  Find out later!  Maybe!  I'll take a good narrative over mystery for mystery's sake any day.

I do agree with @happjack's assertion that one of these directors should have been given the reigns to control the trilogy, because you're right: I have no idea what part 3 is now supposed to be and if it's some shit with Palpatine being heavily involved, that's kind of lame.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I enjoyed both TFA and TLJ, for vastly different reasons.  I felt each one had a specific role to serve and each did so quite well.  I liked TLJ better.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1