DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I was thinking "Ugh, Charlie's Angels again?!"

And then I saw the Ghostbusters tweet.

If any day warrants the Robin Williams what year is it Jumanji meme, it would be today.

• Like 1

I'm somewhat confused by Paul Rudd's casting because the word from when the announcement was made was that this would be something like Stranger Things meets Ghostbusters and it wouldn't be in the city. Or maybe that was all just speculation. I honestly can't even tell anymore.

But I do know this...As much as I love Paul Rudd in just about everything (even shit like Object of My Affection), if the aim is now to make a cast or team of Ghostbusters where everyone is a funny person and they're all just trying to get their shit in, then it's not going to work. Ghostbusters, and even Ghostbusters 2, worked so well because it's incredibly, incredibly dry. You didn't have to beat people over the head with jokes. Bill Murray didn't give a shit about the script on the original and just gave dry, improved lines and it was amazing because he's Bill Murray. You can't force funny. One of my favorite lines in any movie ever is the quick witted "Yes, it's true. This man has no dick."

So my hope is to not do the Paul Feig thing and have everyone ad lib everything and I also hope that the script isn't just joke after joke after joke. Write things to be funny, they just don't all have to be jokes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kuetsar said:

RE: Akria, I never thought we would see Good Omens made either, so never say never I guess.

That's a good point. I also thought the same about American Gods, but Akira has been stuck in development hell since what feels like the late 90s.

On 6/27/2019 at 11:08 AM, Kuetsar said:

RE: Akria, I never thought we would see Good Omens made either, so never say never I guess.

FWIW, we only got it because it was Pratchett's dying wish.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Final Hobbs and Shaw trailer and yeah I don't think I had this high enough on my BO list

I might already go back on my "No more IMAX" line for this, and see it 20 times.

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Good Liar

Helen Mirren,  Ian McKellen

Directed by Bill Condon

So yeah... I am gonna watch this

That just came up on as an ad on YouTube before a video, and it became one of the very very few times I didn't skip the ad ASAP.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Final Hobbs and Shaw trailer and yeah I don't think I had this high enough on my BO list

Car loving muscle heads Vs. Evil jumpsuit wearing bikers

This is the closest we’ll ever get to a F&F Vs. Biker Boyz crossover movie.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On 6/28/2019 at 10:52 AM, RIPPA said:

The Good Liar

Helen Mirren,  Ian McKellen

Directed by Bill Condon

So yeah... I am gonna watch this

I'd probably watch that just for the soundtrack alone, beyond the talent arrayed. Some serious John Carpenter going on there before the violins kicked it up a second notch.

Oh man, that gave me a really good laugh. Yeah, I'm all in as well. Welcome to the Jungle was maybe the best and biggest surprise since Live Die Repeat. Can't wait to see this one.

• Like 1

Just now, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Bold choice having Craig do Kevin Spacey's House of Cards accent. 

He's just doing his accent from Logan Lucky.

• Like 1

Halle Bailey (of the R&B group Chloe x Halle) has been cast as Ariel in the live action Little Mermaid

Not to be confused (like EVERYONE on Twitter) with Halle Berry