DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

Two years after premiering at TIFF, The Current War is finally coming out this Fall

Benedict Cumberbatch = Thomas Edison

Nicholas Hoult = Nikola Tesla

Michael Shannon = George Westinghouse

Also starring Tom Holland and Katherine Waterston

Meryl Streep and Nicole Kidman on this season of Big Little Lies have really made me question if they have it anymore, but that's likely more to do with the script and story they're handed.

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I've never really cared for Streep. Kidman's accent slipping from time to time has been one of my great pleasures watching BLL.

Can't believe we're getting The Prom adapted for the big screen before Wicked. Get it together, Hollywood. 

Anyway, changing lives. 

No shit dude. I've been clamoring for a big screen version of Wicked for what feels like forever now. I've seen it twice on stage and when you account for the fact that I didn't go alone, that's about $400 I spent so far seeing Wicked. I'd like to go one last time to take my daughter because I think she would really dig it. So that $400 is going to just go up.

It sure would be nice to have a really, really good version of Wicked as a movie, but instead we get stuff like Maleficent 2.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

It's funny.  I really enjoyed season 1 of BLL but I have zero motivation at all to watch season two.  @Craig H is not dissuading that feeling.

You're missing out on some prime rape shaming and gaslighting content. Also, characters acting in a completely illogical way. If these characters existed in real life, they'd all have won a darwin award by now. Methheads would have a longer life span.

But hey, what do I know. Reviewers continue to go ape shit over it giving it good reviews each week. Maybe it's only me.

• Like 1

I'm aware of that, but 2021 still feels like so far away when it's surprising it wasn't in production a long time ago. Daldry is a good director too (ignoring Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close anyway).

I am almost positive that it was originally scheduled for earlier (I think even for this Dec) but got moved due to other major movies being released

28 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You're missing out on some prime rape shaming and gaslighting content.

The season's antagonist questioning the validity of these women's experiences isn't all that shocking. It's not like the show's on that character's side at all. Although I have my head in my phone through most of these episodes, so don't take my word for it.

Of course it's long past time for Celeste to tell her to get out of her house immediately. This snooping only ends in serious questions about her fitness as a mother. She's a lawyer. She should smell the risk and BS coming. 

And that Wicked movie has definitely been pushed back at least once. 

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am almost positive that it was originally scheduled for earlier (I think even for this Dec) but got moved due to other major movies being released

You are correct. It was first reported Universal was developing if, with Daldry attached, way back in 2012(!) then officially announced for December 2019 in 2016. They put production on hold for some reason, gave Cats that release slot, and finally rescheduled it for 2021.

5 hours ago, Raziel said:

Wicked doesn't even have casting done yet, I don't think that's ever getting made.

It's a race to see what gets made first: Wicked or Akira.

I think I'd still take Akira even if Taika is now attached to Akira. I refuse to believe Akira ever gets made.

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

We'll see about that. 

Out of context that sounds somewhat diabolical. Please don't do anything hasty.

*fast forward two months to a live look at Craig trying to interrupt the Akira production*

473360_v2.gif

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

For the longest time it has felt like the universe was firmly against a live action Akira from being made. I'd hate to see the running gag end.

So like how I am gonna feel when Shenmue 3 comes out

• Like 1