DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Isn't that the third animated movie about like yetis in as many years?

Smallfoot definitely was but I can’t think of a third

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Isn't that the third animated movie about like yetis in as many years?

Did someone say

giphy.gif

Hellboy bombed to the point where people don't even know Missing Link bombed way harder

• Like 2

Guest The Magnificent 7

They are softening us up so the government can admit these creatures exist and we won’t panic. 

Or is that aliens. 

On 5/31/2019 at 8:56 AM, RIPPA said:

At least they didn't use Gimme Shelter

I know someone who did though...

FORD V. FERRARI

Director: James Mangold

Cast: Christian Bale, Matt Damon, Caitriona Balfe,  Noah Jupe, Tracy Letts, Jon Bernthal, Josh Lucas, JJ Feild

THE LAST BLACK MAN IN SAN FRANCISCO

Starring Jimmie Fails, Jonathan Majors,  and Danny Glover

Directed by Joe Talbot (Won best director at Sundance)

This is currently sitting at 91 on RT, and it feels like a warm blanket of beautiful cinematography and fantastic storytelling.   Opens Friday. 

• Like 1

Ad Astra

Director: James Gray

Brad Pitt, Tommy Lee Jones, Donald Sutherland, Liv Tyler, Ruth Negga

Slight trigger warning - if you have issues with motion sickness, flashing light type things probably don't watch. Not as bad as say Gravity but still

Looks pretty cool. I'm also geeked out because it looks like they're using nuclear bombs as a propulsion engine. I can't think of what that type of engine is called, but I'm sure @J.T. does.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Looks pretty cool. I'm also geeked out because it looks like they're using nuclear bombs as a propulsion engine. I can't think of what that type of engine is called, but I'm sure @J.T. does.

You're probably talking about the Torch Drive made famous in Robert Heinlein and James Corey space operas.

Torchships use directed and continuous nuclear detonations to propel themselves forward.

It looks like our government was stupid enough to construct one inside our atmosphere as evident from of the EMP mishap in the trailer.  Torchships are pretty much giant Van Eck boxes propelled through space by hydrogen bombs. The systems in the ships have to be well protected from the constant EMPs generated by the engines. 

This is why they can't be launched from earth or fly too close to anyplace where there is a lot of technology being used.

In sci-fi books, torchships are always constructed in orbit and used in extra or interplanetary operations and conventional chemical propulsion craft are used for planetary operations.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Uncharted movie has a release date - 12/18/20

Tom Holland will be Nathan Drake

It will be directed by Dan Trachtenberg (10 Cloverfield Lane)

Tom Holland is making all of the monies.

I'd have picked someone a bit more rugged looking for Nathan Drake myself, but we'll pass judgment after the first trailer drops.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The Uncharted movie has a release date - 12/18/20

Tom Holland will be Nathan Drake

It will be directed by Dan Trachtenberg (10 Cloverfield Lane)

So... they're making a movie about all the Nathan as a kid flashbacks from the games?

21 minutes ago, Raziel said:

So... they're making a movie about all the Nathan as a kid flashbacks from the games?

Yes, the head of Sony is in love with Holland.  Basically signed him for Uncharted, even though he didn't fit the script that had been written, and made them rewrite it as a Young Drake origin story.

God. They're going to destroy his career. Of course, he could have told them no, but money is hard to resist.

And who knows, maybe the movie could be g...nah.

17 hours ago, J.T. said:

I'd have picked someone a bit more rugged looking for Nathan Drake myself, but we'll pass judgment after the first trailer drops.

I'd have picked someone a bit more rugged looking for Batman, too.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I like to pass my judgments early so I look like a genius when the first trailer drops.

• Like 1

Holland is 23. So maybe they think they can get a whole series of films with a young actor like him. Honestly if they get it right(Which I don’t believe they will) on the first try with introducing all the characters, I could see this becoming a Mission Impossible, or Fast film-style series that you can get 8, or 9 film out of.

As a huge fan of the game series, I wonder if they're gonna dip their toes into some of the more fantastic/mystical elements. I mean, Indiana Jones flicks pulled it off so maybe it'll work again?

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

As a huge fan of the game series, I wonder if they're gonna dip their toes into some of the more fantastic/mystical elements. I mean, Indiana Jones flicks pulled it off so maybe it'll work again?

If you are saying Crystal Skull pulled it off... no... no they didn't

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

If you are saying Crystal Skull pulled it off... no... no they didn't

I was thinking the first two, especially since I'm wise enough not to subject myself to Crystal Skull ?