DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:07 PM, odessasteps said:

I loved the ending to escape from LA. The rest ,not as much. 

If you say that you didn't like Snake's Bangkok Rules duel scene, you are a liar.

I don’t think I’ve seen it since it came out. 

I reallyonly remember a couple scenes (surfing, basketball, Bruce) apart from the end. 

If I watched it again, maybe that would change my mind.

Enough people around here watch pretty terrible 60s/70s/80s movies and unironically enjoy them, but when it's a cheesy as fuck 90s movie it's somehow the worst thing ever made.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Enough people around here watch pretty terrible 60s/70s/80s movies and unironically enjoy them, but when it's a cheesy as fuck 90s movie it's somehow the worst thing ever made.

It's likely partly an age thing.

But I also think bad 90's CGI just hasn't developed the same charm that bad practical effects have to people at large. Maybe that's just me, but I'm way more willing to laugh at a shitty hand puppet filling in for a monster than a horribly composited computer monster, which instead just jerks me right out of the movie.

There are plenty of 90's movies I love, too. But something like Escape from L.A. also has to deal with how beloved Escape From New York was. A bad sequel a decade later is going to get ire.

--------

Mostly unrelated but there's a fucking Backdraft 2 that either just came out to video or is about to. What the fuck?

• Like 1

LA does have that funny bit with the Mexican standoff, where Snake convinces some dopes that he’s going to throw a can in the air and they’ll all shoot when it hits the ground...and then he just shoots them all while they’re still watching the can in the air.

The Goldfinch

Nicole Kidman, Sarah Paulson, Ansel Elgort and a whole lotta other people

Releasing this two days after the anniversary of 9/11 is... something...

The Kitchen

Melissa McCarthy, Elisabeth Moss and Tiffany Haddish

You know it is a mob movie because they use Rolling Stones in the trailer

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Kitchen

Melissa McCarthy, Elisabeth Moss and Tiffany Haddish

You know it is a mob movie because they use Rolling Stones in the trailer

I'm going to bookmark this so when Scorsese finally finishes the de-aging CGI work (at this point, it might be another year) on The Irishman, we can test this little theory after the trailer comes out.