DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

6 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Admittedly I'm no economic expert, but if you've spent that much money making a film wouldn't you be better off to release it and at least try to recoup SOME of the losses? Or does it all wind up being a tax write off?

Tax write off.

Oh man if I would have known I could write off doing shitty, half-assed work on my taxes I'd never have paid a dime in my life.  

Edited by CSC
  • Haha 3

Releasing a film costs money. Lots of films are made without a distribution deal on the assumption that once you screen it at a festival, there'll be a bidding war for distribution rights (nb: Most movie projects that go into production do so because everyone involved in making them are convinced it's a genius idea and will make billions). If nobody buys distribution, they get shelved until one of the stars gets famous or if westerns make a comeback or something. Like Cabin in the Woods not coming out until after Thor and the Avengers.

I think for Disney, NBCUniversal, Paramount, Warner Bros, the tax write off is a viable option. If you're EuropaCorp,  you've had bomb after bomb,and then put out Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (they didn't even spend much on it and funded mostly via pre sales fwiw), you're on the brink of closing your doors. No amount of tax write offs is going to save you.

Going back to the original point, I doubt these major film studios are sitting on films that wrapped principal photography years ago. It's going to be one of these smaller distributors or production companies who really need the money, hence, waiting for an opportune time when you can cash out on a budding star.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

Releasing a film costs money. Lots of films are made without a distribution deal on the assumption that once you screen it at a festival, there'll be a bidding war for distribution rights (nb: Most movie projects that go into production do so because everyone involved in making them are convinced it's a genius idea and will make billions). If nobody buys distribution, they get shelved until one of the stars gets famous or if westerns make a comeback or something. Like Cabin in the Woods not coming out until after Thor and the Avengers.

Then there's Neil Breen.

• Haha 1

Tommy Wiseau kept The Room in theatres to make sure it would be eligible for the Oscars. He legit thought it was a masterpiece.

On 4/25/2019 at 4:29 PM, AxB said:

Your general point is correct, but that was never the situation with Cabin. It was funded by a distributor and had a release date. Then MGM went bankrupt. And nobody could buy it until the bankruptcy proceedings ran their course. It also hit theaters about a month before The Avengers.

It and the Red Dawn remake both starring Hemsworth apparently had little to do with it, they were the last two projects MGM made before the shit hit the fan as it were.

(There was also the weird delay when MGM decided to post-convert it to 3D, and during that delay is when the bankruptcy happened.)

Edited by Brian Fowler

There was a whole gameplan though, to move Hemsworth up slowly so he'd go from a small role (Star Trek) to a supporting role (Perfect Getaway) to a low budget lead in a movie with two Sean Beans (Ca$h) to Cabin to Red Dawn, and then by the time Thor came out people would be ready to see him in a lead role. But Cabin and Dawn didn't come out, and Perfect Getaway sunk without a trace (it's pretty good. Olyphant's in it), so when Thor came out, there was a lot of Chris who? From Star Trek? Chris Pine?

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Mammy Two Shoes? 

Quiet, you!

I am trying to purge the cartoon's blatantly racist origins by watching some of the Chuck Jones joints.

I have The Mouse From HUNGER and O Solar Meow! queued up on my Vimeo viewer for later.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, J.T. said:

Quiet, you!

I am trying to purge the cartoon's blatantly racist origins by watching some of the Chuck Jones joints.

I have The Mouse From HUNGER and O Solar Meow! queued up on my Vimeo viewer for later.

Man, even Chuck Jones admitted that the Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry cartoons weren't good.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, EVA said:

Remember when Coolio got mad at Weird Al for not taking Gangsta’s Paradise seriously?

Yeah, well that mortgage doesn't just pay itself.  

And lord almighty does that look bad.  Jim's going to try his best, but I can just feel the pandering to "90's kids who are now parents."   Plus, that song is completely out of place, like jarringly so. 

• Like 1