DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

15 hours ago, John Austin said:

God that looks so ridiculous and so much freaking fun. I can't wait to see it!

If anything, you're underselling it. I'm so there. 

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:53 AM, Craig H said:

I know the feeling is that Fast Five was like the Saints Row movie, but holy shit, they went and made a Saints Row movie.

This franchise started off being about a band of cargo thieves and now it has James Bond-esque protagonists and bad guys with super powers.

I love how they just embraced the absurdity and made movies that are fun to watch.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

One more note for those of us who are/were fans of the Fast and Furious movies and Saints Row games. So my good friend who used to work at Volition, but left after the calamity that was Agents of Mayhem (he wasn't laid off, he actually got a better position with another game company) comments on my Facebook that at Volition, they would watch the Fast and Furious movies a lot. That made me happy. I don't know why I never talked to him about it before, but it was cool to see some sort of confirmation from one of those sides that there was definitely some inspiring going on.

• Like 1

Gemini Man looks pretty meh, but I usually don't care for And Lee movies anyway.

King of Monsters I really hope it's awesome and learned more from Kong Skull Island than Godzilla.

I like movies with the Hulk in, but I don't like them when they're Ang Lee.

He actually did Hulk's mocap himself, you know. That's why Hulk moves like a 49 year old non athlete.

Anyway: 

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Gemini Man

Director: Ang Lee

Starring 2 Will Smiths

(I am assuming this is being shown in front of End Game)

I saw the title and thought that they were going to make a fun blockbuster out of one of the awesome, dumb, and forgotten television shows from my misspent youth.

I was wrong.

I am very sad right now.

Edited by J.T.

Considering the shit that gets released in some shape or form, when something get's dubbed "Unreleasable" you wonder just how big of a piece of shit it is.

I say this having been on a set for 3 days for a movie that was so fucking terrible that NO ONE bought it for release, even direct to DVD (which is funny because the writers/director/stars were acting like they were making Citizen Kane the entire time).  So even then, I wonder how many movies a year get made and never bought by any distribution company.

Edited by Raziel

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Considering the shit that gets released in some shape or form, when something get's dubbed "Unreleasable" you wonder just how big of a piece of shit it is.

I say this having been on a set for 3 days for a movie that was so fucking terrible that NO ONE bought it for release, even direct to DVD (which is funny because the writers/director/stars were acting like they were making Citizen Kane the entire time).  So even then, I wonder how many movies a year get made and never bought by any distribution company.

There are films on notable people's IMDB pages that were wrapped three or four years ago that are either being just released by Lionsgate Premiere, A24, etc. or still listed as "completed" with no other information. Therefore, I am going to say more than we would think.

There are still movies that do a Calcium Kid. Get made and sit on a shelf for years, and then get released if one of the leads suddenly becomes actually famous.

• Like 1

MEN IN BLACK: INTERNATIONAL (second trailer)

Con: Especially combined with the first trailer - you know the whole movie. They did restrain themselves from going full Terminator Genisys but still

Pro: MISSY ELLIOTT MUSIC ALL UP IN THIS BITCH~!

14 hours ago, AxB said:

There are still movies that do a Calcium Kid. Get made and sit on a shelf for years, and then get released if one of the leads suddenly becomes actually famous.

The Devil You Know (or Devil You Know) with Jennifer Lawrence. It was shot in 2005 but released on demand in the summer of 2013. However, she isn't a lead really. If they waited until 2015, they would have had Lawrence and Rosamund Pike post-Gone Girl.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

On 4/24/2019 at 10:37 AM, Raziel said:

Admittedly I'm no economic expert, but if you've spent that much money making a film wouldn't you be better off to release it and at least try to recoup SOME of the losses? Or does it all wind up being a tax write off?