DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

Mary Magdalene

Director: Garth Davis

Rooney Mara is Mary Magdalene

Joaquin Phoenix is Jesus (in a sentence I never thought I would write but should have also kind of expected to)

Chiwetel Ejiofor is Peter

This is the movie that was supposed to come out last year but vanished when Harvey Weinstein couldn't keep it in his pants

On 3/27/2019 at 6:29 AM, RIPPA said:

Mary Magdalene

Director: Garth Davis

Rooney Mara is Mary Magdalene

Joaquin Phoenix is Jesus (in a sentence I never thought I would write but should have also kind of expected to)

Chiwetel Ejiofor is Peter

This is the movie that was supposed to come out last year but vanished when Harvey Weinstein couldn't keep it in his pants

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile

This is the Zac Efron as Ted Bundy movie

Lily Collins is Elizabeth Kloepfer, Bundy's girlfriend who the movie is told from her perspective

Jim Parsons in the prosecution's lead lawyer, John Malkovich is the Judge.

I was gonna say it was random that James Hetfield is playing a cop but then I discovered that Director Joe Berlinger was the guy who did Some Kind of Monster

• Like 1

DRAGGED ACROSS CONCRETE

The new S. Craig Zahler (Bone Tomahawk, Brawl in Cell Block 99) joint

Read the review on Ebert's site and it looks like this one is going to push even more buttons than usual -- Mel Gibson as an old racist cop being the tip of the iceberg.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

DRAGGED ACROSS CONCRETE

Read the review on Ebert's site and it looks like this one is going to push even more buttons than usual -- Mel Gibson as an old racist cop being the tip of the iceberg.

It came out a couple weeks ago as a limited theatrical release and on demand.

I saw it and it's pretty brutal in terms of violence. Tory Kittles stole the show. He was incredible. Mel's character isn't so much an outward racist but this film is very much an extension of red state middle aged white person vigilante fantasy. The Mule veered into that sorta imo but stayed safely in the corny old man humor lane with the venom saved for millenials. If you hate seeing people lose their digits, this may not be the film for you. However, if you dislike Dexter's sister, this one is definitely for you.

Loved Bone Tomahawk and still have to see Brawl in Cell Block 99. I will say this is better than Bone Tomahawk even. The runtime didn't bother me.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Definitely wondering how it stacks up to Brawl in terms of violence because that is one VIOLENT movie. I mean, so is Bone Tomahawk too, but Brawl was pretty out-there. The racism/misogyny is going to be interesting, I don't think Zahler sports those kind of views but using them to make the film more incendiary is a pretty hard-ass tactic. 

And yeah, Dexter's sister should take anything they can throw at her.

Guest The Magnificent 7
15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

DRAGGED ACROSS CONCRETE

Fuck those people he’s one of the best directors going today. Can’t wait to see it. 

I'm all in on Dragged Across Concrete. I loved Bone Tomahawk and not so crazy about Cellblock 99, but I loved Gibson in Get The Gringo. Hopefully this shows up on Prime/Netflix sometime soon.

The Addams Family animated movie

• Charlize Theron = Morticia
  • Oscar Issac = Gomez
  • Chloe Grace Moretz = Wednesday
  • Nick Kroll = Uncle Fester
  • The kid from It and Stranger Things = Pugsley

Allison Janey and Elsie Fisher are non Addams Family members