DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

45 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

New trailer for US

My buddy says it appears this is going to be a metaphor for people of African descent displaying the struggle between who they are amongst themselves, and who they are when they are with non-POC.  This trailer really seems to be leaning in that direction.

That was my interpretation when I saw the first trailer.  What's more indicative of this struggle than a yacht named "BeYachtCh?"

• Like 1

I'm not normally a rom com guy, but... omfg.

A gay rom com, starring and written by a gay man.  Directed by a big named director.  AND coming from a major studio.  

Sometimes I'm amazed at the progress we've made.  (Also, Patti LuPone better be Billy's mother, or I ain't going.)

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:21 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

New trailer for US

My buddy says it appears this is going to be a metaphor for people of African descent displaying the struggle between who they are amongst themselves, and who they are when they are with non-POC.  This trailer really seems to be leaning in that direction.

We may as well say it without the code.... but maybe spoilers are called for.

Spoiler

As soon as I saw the caption about us being our own worst enemy, I was like, "Okay, here we go with another good hair vs. bad hair /  house negroes vs. field negroes fable."

I am confident that the ending for US will be light years better than the ending for School Daze, although I have to pick Da Butt over I Got Five On It in the category of which movie has the better feature track.

22 hours ago, J.T. said:

We may as well say it without the code.... but maybe spoilers are called for.

Hide contents

As soon as I saw the caption about us being our own worst enemy, I was like, "Okay, here we go with another good hair vs. bad hair /  house negroes vs. field negroes fable."

I am confident that the ending for US will be light years better than the ending for School Daze, although I have to pick Da Butt over I Got Five On It in the category of which movie has the better feature track.

Every damn time someone refers to the European Union by their initials, all I can think of is Da Butt.

And yes, I guess we shouldn't be speaking in code...this movie feels like exactly what you said.  From the first shot of the first trailer, where the song starts and the main guys says in "this is a great song" in the squarest way and his voice sounds like the voice Eddie uses when imitating white guys, and the mother has to teach the son about the rhythm of the song (he should automatically have rhythm, right??), then you see their all-white group of friends, and they're hanging out in a yacht....jesus.  This absolutely feels like a battle between conflicting views of "blackness." 

• Haha 1

Michael B. Jordan’s Outlier Society and Warner Bros. have nabbed the film rights to “Black Leopard, Red Wolf,” a buzzy new fantasy novel by Marlon James.

FUCK YEAH~!

I'm reading this right now and was thinking that it was a matter of time before someone decided to make a movie out of it.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You're not wrong.

Is it China where Monster Hunter is huge, or South Korea or Japan?

For the game its definitely Japan but it could be South Korea too

However the Anderson/Jovovich Resident Evil movies are a license to print money in China so I expect more of the same here

Just now, BrianS81177 said:

What a surprise that Anderson cast his wife. Again. I don't know who's worse about it, him or Rob Zombie (though Jovovich is a MUCH better actress than Sheri Moon Zombie). 

Tim Burton

But again the quality of actress keeps going up

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Monster Hunter (yes based on the video game) will come out 9/4/20

Director: Paul W.S. Anderson

Starring: Milla Jovovich, Tony Jaa, Ron Pearlman

They are going to put Tony Jaa in a movie where he is fighting CGI monsters and not beating the shit out of another human being?

Pass.