DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

On 1/10/2019 at 8:57 PM, Contentious C said:

Looking at RT made me realize how many fucking Keanu Reeves movies I've seen.  Jesus Christ, that's just too many, and he's only done 50+.  What the Hell is wrong with me.

No, that makes perfect sense. I knew a guy who'd seen loads of Christopher Lambert movies, lots of times. Dozens of them. Christopher Lambert films that his own parents hadn't heard of, he'd seen them. Could quote whole scripts from memory, and I'm not just talking Highlander and Greystoke, I'm talking the one about Chess that went straight to video. So I asked him if Christopher Lambert was his favourite actor. He says "No, I hate him, he's a lazy, untalented actor. He just keeps on making exactly the sort of movie I want to see, over and over again".

So if you've seen too many Keanu Reeves movies, all that proves is that you have the same taste in movies that Keanu has in scripts.

Well, that's just rubbish.  The only value to having seen so many of his movies is the occasional reminder of what constitutes a bad movie.  Though I am surprised he made not one but two movies with Gus Van Sant.

What?  You were expecting me to read that and say, "Whoa"?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This has got to stop.

This one is apparently going to be with teenagers.  Just no. 

If its based off of Extreme Ghostbusters then its a solid idea and the only sensible one for it there ever was the past 10-15 years. Swap Ray for Egon's role in teaching/training college kids.

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Keanu rules though.  Point Break, Speed, John Wick,  The Matrix.  

Reeves is one of the greatest action stars of all-time. He's been in so many great action movies that he can stack up with anyone.

He's also objectively a terrible actor unless he gets to play a guy who never changes register. He's dreadfully bad in dramas. He's wooden as fuck. He might be the worst ever at trying to pick up an accent. He nearly ruined Dracula singlehandedly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Reeves is one of the greatest action stars of all-time. He's been in so many great action movies that he can stack up with anyone.

He's also objectively a terrible actor unless he gets to play a guy who never changes register. He's dreadfully bad in dramas. He's wooden as fuck. He might be the worst ever at trying to pick up an accent. He nearly ruined Dracula singlehandedly. 

It's awesome watching the BTS/rehearsals at Coppola's palatial Napa Valley home and on the set, and Oldman is nice enough to pretend that Keanu is on par with him. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

He might be the worst ever at trying to pick up an accent.

No, that would be the aforementioned Christopher Lambert.

Highlander has just enough sword fighting badassery and Clancy Brown awesomeness ("Hi, I'm Candy."  "Of course you are..") that you nearly forget that Connor MacLeod is supposed to be a native born Scotsman and it is almost unbearable to listen to Lambert murder that accent.

• Like 1

Keanu in romantic dramas or damadies really is the worst. He just doesn't emote very well unless that emotion is anger or withdrawal.

And that's why John Wick is great. He pulls off being completely withdrawn about his wife very well and then pulls off being angry about his dog very well. 

He does...um...confused very well too. First Matrix movie where he's a fish out of water and confused about everything, great. Other two Matrix movies where he's this confident Neo, but also very stoic, not good, but then again, those movies were terrible for other reasons too.

Somehow though, he's pretty decent in the Devil's Advocate. 

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

No, that would be the aforementioned Christopher Lambert.

Highlander has just enough sword fighting badassery and Clancy Brown awesomeness ("Hi, I'm Candy."  "Of course you are..") that you nearly forget that Connor MacLeod is supposed to be a native born Scotsman and it is almost unbearable to listen to Lambert murder that accent.

I don’t know if I would go so far as to praise the sword fights, but I’ll agree Clancy Brown as the Kurgan steals the show. Shame that we didn’t get more of him. By seeing some lost deleted scenes stills, he actually gets to take out a couple of more Immortals. That movie  is still a mess narratively, and doesn’t hold up.

So, I'm going to go see Glass. I mean, full stop, no question, been waiting almost twenty years.

But it's kinda funny if, immediately after making two well received lower budget thrillers got him out of director jail, he immediately puts himself back in it by fucking up the most anticipated movie he's made in over a decade, if not good entire career.

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So, I'm going to go see Glass. I mean, full stop, no question, been waiting almost twenty years.

But it's kinda funny if, immediately after making two well received lower budget thrillers got him out of director jail, he immediately puts himself back in it by fucking up the most anticipated movie he's made in over a decade, if not good entire career.

It is projected to make between $105 - $120 million globally this 4 day weekend. $60-$70 million domestically.

He will be just fine.

22 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Diegetically, I can understand how a guy 300 years old, living all over the world, would have a weird mish mash of accents. 

Now, Ramirez having a Scottish accent, ...

Lambert's Connor MacLeod had the French accent before he found out he was immortal.

It actually makes more sense for Ramirez to have the mish mash of accents since he was originally Egyptian and had traveled around the world over a full century before Connor was born.

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

Somehow though, he's pretty decent in the Devil's Advocate. 

That's still a character that's heavy on the confused and pissed-off tones you described, though. I sort of think of that role as if the character from River's Edge had grown up to be a lawyer. 

And his dad was Satan.

Plus, imagining him saying, "Mother fucker! Food eater!" to Pacino is hilarious. 

30 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

HOLY FUCK, MARK MOTHER FUCKING DACASCOS IS THE LEAD BAD GUY ASSASSIN AND HE SHAVED HIS HEAD~!  WHERE ARE MY PANTS~??

They better give Reeves vs. Dacascos a lot more time that Jet Li vs. Dacascos got in Cradle 2 The Grave.

Jesus, the international list of extras playing assassin characters is fucking insane:

Yayan MOTHER FUCKING Ruhian, Cecep Arif Rahman, Tiger Hu MOTHER FUCKING Chen, Boban Marjanović, Vladimir and Vlado Mihailov, Danish Bhatt, Candace M. Smith.

Common coming back to reprise his role as Cassian is just bonus.

I think I am more exited about this movie than I am about Avengers: Endgame.  

3 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

I'd love nothing more than for Gyllenhaal, Russo, and Gilroy to be some sort of cinema-troupe that makes films together for eternity. Even though it's a Netflix film, I'm hyped for this

This man hates the Horror Movie thread.  

I think almost everyone except for me and Curt does, actually.