DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

I have needed something to start this tread so I have will have to enrage JT and blur the Horror/Regular thread lines again

Happy Death Day 2U

This one isn't a first movie spoilery as the first trailer was

You know how we talk about trailers giving away too much? saw the trailer for A Dog's Way Home in front of Spiderverse.   It gave away the entire fucking movie! It was like 5 minutes in length and hit every note.  They might as well have charged us for a double feature. 

50 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You know how we talk about trailers giving away too much? saw the trailer for A Dog's Way Home in front of Spiderverse.   It gave away the entire fucking movie! It was like 5 minutes in length and hit every note.  They might as well have charged us for a double feature. 

A: This is correct and B: They could have saved so much time by just saying "Look, it's a shittier Homeward Bound" and C : I want the accurate version of that trailer when after the Cougar scares away the Wolf the Cougar kills and eats the dog.

• Like 3

The Kid Who Would Be King

Director: Joe Cornish (Attack the Block)

It is a low bar to clear but I am assuming it will be better than King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:43 PM, RIPPA said:

I have needed something to start this tread so I have will have to enrage JT and blur the Horror/Regular thread lines again

Happy Death Day 2U

This one isn't a first movie spoilery as the first trailer was

Dammit. Rippa....

Your bizarre and probably fake news story of the day: The Jackson family were so impressed by Bohemian rhapsody, they want Rami Malek to play Michael in a movie of his life.

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The Disney kids slate is insane this year. 

I didn't realize we're getting Dumbo, Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story 4, AND Frozen 2. 

https://io9.gizmodo.com/io9s-guide-to-all-the-movies-you-should-give-a-damn-abo-1831320229

And you didn't include Artemis Fowl which - yes probably should have been made 10 years ago - it still a name property and is being directed by Kenneth Branagh

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And you didn't include Artemis Fowl which - yes probably should have been made 10 years ago - it still a name property and is being directed by Kenneth Branagh

You're right. I had it in there at first draft and then I started going on about the Marvel movies and Star Wars and what not, but I tightened it when I realized my 6 year old, even having seen the trailers, really doesn't have any interest in seeing Artemis Fowl as opposed to all of the others I mentioned (she wants to see Captain Marvel even). I'm pretty sure on that very scientific metric, the movie's going to bomb.

Denis Villeneuve, the brilliant filmmaker behind Prisoners, Sicario, Arrival and Blade Runner: 2049, is bringing Frank Herbert’s Dune back to the big screen for Legendary, potentially with a series of *at least* two movies.

Timothée Chalamet and Rebecca Ferguson are already on board, and Deadline reports that Dave Bautista has just joined the cast as well.

I imagine that Big Dave will most likely play The Beast Rabban.  We already know that Villeneuve wants Ferguson to play Lady Jessica and this Timothée Chalamet kid will be Paul.

I can only hope that this won't be as convoluted as previous incarnations, but Denis seems to have a good handle on delivering good shit when it comes to big budget movies with complex plots and long runtimes.  He never appears to be overwhelmed by the money.

If there is a right man for this job, it is Denis Villeneuve and the latest and greatest technology will make the visuals much easier to bring to life than past attempts.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per Variety - WB and Mattel have to come to an agreement so that the live action Barbie movie can happen

Margo Robbie will be playing Barbie

I know she'll make a fortune off it but that seems like a risky career decision.  She's well-established so maybe not but...

On 1/2/2019 at 12:39 PM, RIPPA said:

The Kid Who Would Be King

Director: Joe Cornish (Attack the Block)

Odd that the trailer doesn''t name any of the cast. The lead character is played by a kid named Louis Ashbourne Serkis. Son of Andy Serkis. And the young Merlin is Angus Imrie, son of Celia Imrie who's been in lots of things but most of the board won't have seen them or remember her.