DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

@caley I think you’re right on pushing the tag team division.  Tho, it does indeed feel a bit light at the moment.  I like them running a Briscoes-rnrx title bout in Tennessee.  Obviously that is what it is, but could be fun.  

As fantasy booking goes I think the Briscoes might be the best choice to grab up the other singles titles too.  I’d like to see them pushed as nearly unbeatable with this current roster around them.  Seeing as there are so many trios it might be good to get them a consistent third (or do they have one?).  It'dt be good positioning for somebody on their roster.

A Marty 'I’m going to aew with the title' run feels a little too 'Punk-to-wwe title run', but certainly much worse angles have been rehashed and many times over.

Considering PCO kinda just signed, I don’t see him jumping ship, but King seems to be destined for greener pastures.  Having some more time to develop in little seen ROH will be helpful.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

https://411mania.com/wrestling/roh-summer-supercard-draws-lowest-market-audience-in-years-other-indie-promotions-also-did-poorly-during-summerslam-weekend/

ROH Summer Supercard Draws Lowest Market Audience In Years, Other Indie Promotions Also Did Poorly During Summerslam Weekend

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that ROH Summer Supercard, which happened on August 9 at the Mattamy Athletic Centre in Toronto, had an attendance of 680 fans, which was said to be the lowest audience in that market in years. The promotion usually gets around 1,500. 

In fact, several other independent shows that also tried to take advantage of WWE being in town for Summerslam seemed to fail in attracting extra business. The companies tried a similar tactic for Summerslam weekend that promotions usually do for Wrestlemania weekend and it failed. OWE on August 7 and 10 had about 150 fans for each show. SMASH vs. PROGRESS on the same day had around 225. wXw, which had NXT UK’s WALTER vs. Daisuke Sekimoto, also only had around 225. The Summit, which featured women from Shimmer, Rise, FEmmes Fatales and SMASH, only had 353 with 343 paid. SMASH on August 10 had 250. IWS in Quebec had 160. 

It’s believed that since fans don’t travel from all over for Summerslam like they do for Wrestlemania, that could be why the strategy didn’t work this time. Another reason could be the sheer volume of shows.

9 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

@caley I think you’re right on pushing the tag team division.  Tho, it does indeed feel a bit light at the moment.  I like them running a Briscoes-rnrx title bout in Tennessee.  Obviously that is what it is, but could be fun.  

As fantasy booking goes I think the Briscoes might be the best choice to grab up the other singles titles too.  I’d like to see them pushed as nearly unbeatable with this current roster around them.  Seeing as there are so many trios it might be good to get them a consistent third (or do they have one?).  It'dt be good positioning for somebody on their roster.

A Marty 'I’m going to aew with the title' run feels a little too 'Punk-to-wwe title run', but certainly much worse angles have been rehashed and many times over.

Considering PCO kinda just signed, I don’t see him jumping ship, but King seems to be destined for greener pastures.  Having some more time to develop in little seen ROH will be helpful.  

PCO only signed a one year deal and it was Marty that pushed to get him in ROH as a way of repaying him for taking care of him and Nick Aldis when they were just breaking in and the other vets treated them like shit.

For Marty's exit, what would make the most sense right now would be a loser of the fall leaves town match between Villain Enterprises and Lifeblood & PJ Black. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Wee Bey said:

I think AEW and NJPW (MLW has a chance of joining this group)  might be sucking the travel dollars away, and are consolidating the indie market.  The mid-sized indies are probably going to be the biggest losers of AEW's formation, alongside ROH (but ROH may have TNA-like powers of zombie survival due to Sinclair)

It wasn’t a good sign when the WWE ran ticket specials for their four shows leading into them. Like at @alstein said, outside forces have developed interest amongst traveling fans, which has divided the audience a bit. It also doesn’t help that the WWE, and AEW(More so WWE) have almost dried up the Indy scene, but their were plenty of guys under contract to both promotions here, so yeah chalk it up to WWE’s stock being down with the hardcores. Which isn’t good for the remainder of the year if the mainstream fans don’t buy into this FOX network push.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

19 hours ago, Archibald said:

Those numbers look insanely bad. Walter drawing only 200 people? I thought he was real popular.

I'd be curious to hear the hosting promotion Smash's take on their week that was.  The WXW show was full around the ring.  I was told it was busier for Progress (8pm on a Thursday), but the WXW show was at 4pm in the afternoon.  I loved this, but not everybody is available to go to a show in the northern part of the downtown at 4pm.  Tho, they did have other shows, the big show was the one mentioned.  I also couldn't see up into the balcony but what had been listed was sold out.  Half the shows in question were afternoon shows.  Maybe that was a bad move by Smash, but I have to think they were realistic about turnouts for late afternoon.  Also, I absolutely love WALTER, but is he really any sort of household name in Toronto?    

ROH would have done a decent number had they not had such a ridiculous price for GA.  $58 is ridiculous for a roster of, at this point, pretty much all 'unknowns'.  I can tell you first hand that I spoke to several fans at the WXW show who were not going to ROH because of the price.  Not to say there wasn't a feeling in conversation that ROH is struggling badly right now.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'd be curious to hear the hosting promotion Smash's take on their week that was.  The WXW show was full around the ring.  I was told it was busier for Progress (8pm on a Thursday), but the WXW show was at 4pm in the afternoon.  I loved this, but not everybody is available to go to a show in the northern part of the downtown at 4pm.  Tho, they did have other shows, the big show was the one mentioned.  I also couldn't see up into the balcony but what had been listed was sold out.  Half the shows in question were afternoon shows.  Maybe that was a bad move by Smash, but I have to think they were realistic about turnouts for late afternoon.  Also, I absolutely love WALTER, but is he really any sort of household name in Toronto?    

ROH would have done a decent number had they not had such a ridiculous price for GA.  $58 is ridiculous for a roster of, at this point, pretty much all 'unknowns'.  I can tell you first hand that I spoke to several fans at the WXW show who were not going to ROH because of the price.  Not to say there wasn't a feeling in conversation that ROH is struggling badly right now.  

ROH didn't charge $58 for GA during Gabe's glory days. I certainly wouldn't pay that now for them. I certainly don't feel bad for the right wing, corporate, propaganda machine, but I do feel bad for some of the wrestlers. It's not like they're not being paid, and maybe some of the younger, greener guys are happy for whatever exposure they can get. I feel bad for the vets like the Briscoes and Jay Lethal, who were there during better times.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Archibald said:

If they don't acknowledge their CMLL feud then what is even the point of doing this.

And as far as prices go, maybe high prices are now keeping RoH afloat? You know, getting 700 people for 60$ might be preferable to getting 1000 for 30$.

Of course, $42,000 is preferable to $30,000, but what ROH offers now is no guarantee of a show worth spending $60. You run the risk of fans saying, "That wasn't worth it; I'm not coming back next time.".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Archibald said:

If they don't acknowledge their CMLL feud then what is even the point of doing this.

And as far as prices go, maybe high prices are now keeping RoH afloat? You know, getting 700 people for 60$ might be preferable to getting 1000 for 30$.

Sinclair subsidizes ROH- as it provides them cheap TV.  It's part of what keeps them afloat- and part of what kept them from being too ambitious a few years ago.

They allowed All In to happen to prove it was doomed to failure. Smart guys.

EDIT: Also, whilst technically 5000 tickets at $10 is the same $50,000 gate as 1000 tickets at $50, it really isn't, for this reason: Assuming the per head merchandise spend remains the same, that total merch sales will be a fifth of the fuller house. But realistically, if you've paid $10 to get in, you're a lot happier at dropping another $20 or so at the show than if it cost you so much more for your ticket.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 2

On 8/17/2019 at 1:59 PM, Archibald said:

I know it's just a game but I tried this approach in Fire Promoter and it led to bad results.  The demand for a show and what's advertised should justify the price and $60 just isn't worth it.  They can likely get away with $40 at most but anything past that is asking for trouble.

• Like 1

https://411mania.com/wrestling/matches-announced-for-roh-cmll-global-wars-espectacular/

Matches Announced For ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular

ROH has announced four matches for their joint three-night event with CMLL, Global Wars Espectacular. Ian Riccaboni posted a video to Twitter announcing the following matches for the shows, which run from September 6th through the 8th in Dearborn, Chicago and Milwaukee.

The matches announced are:

Night One: September 6th in Dearborn, Michigan
* Matt Taven and Vinny Marseglia vs. Volador Jr and Triton

Night Two: September 7th in Chicago, Illinois
* Rush vs. Barbaro Cavernario
* Jeff Cobb, Jay Lethal, Jonathan Gresham vs. Caristico, Stuka Jr, and Triton

Night Three: September 8th in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
* The Briscoes and Barbaro Cavernario vs. Lifeblood

Alex Shelley vs Matt Taven was a perfectly fine match and main event.  They should definitely go back to Villian Enerprises 6 and 8 men matches.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:27 PM, Godfrey said:

Move over, Rollins. Shinobi Shadow Squad are the new Dorkiest Thing in Wrestling.

I love the Shinobi Shadow Squad if only because somebody remembered that comedy does indeed have a place in pro wrestling and they are like a stable made up entirely of Spike Dudleys tailor made for PCO to throw around the ring like rag dolls.

• Like 1