DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

The last ROH I saw before tonight was at MSG, which was, well, terrible, so I'm very pleasantly surprised that Briscoes vs. Rush and Dragon Lee is probably better for me than anything in the G1 so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maciej said:

The last ROH I saw before tonight was at MSG, which was, well, terrible, so I'm very pleasantly surprised that Briscoes vs. Rush and Dragon Lee is probably better for me than anything in the G1 so far.

The ladder match wasn't terrible except for Matt Taven winning, of course. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

On 7/22/2019 at 4:04 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Did anybody watch the syndicated ROH on the other night? I completely forgot I did, but it ended with a garbage match in ECW Arena where Bandido did a moonsault tornilla through a table on the floor to end it. I haven't seen a match like that in... fuck, years. It was actually pretty fun. 

Playing catch-up with a bunch of stuff and finally watched this. I skipped the rest of the episode because ROH just hasn't been doing it for me lately. This match was a whole lot of fun though. I love that everyone had something to do and, for the most part, what they were doing made sense. At one point Williams had a submission using the cane on King. PCO (I think, this may have been the other way around) started getting in the ring. Rather than sit there like a goof and let him attack him, Williams let go of the hold and cut him off. That kind of thing doesn't happen a lot, especially in WWE "chaotic" multi-man matches. If ROH could serve up fun stuff like this on top (which they have been doing more of ever since PCO and King hit the promotion) with some solid work underneath, they could have a winning formula and really be the ideal ECW. Like people have said, they have the talent, they just don't have the theoretical "it" to light a spark for the viewers. 

Taven might be in that "Justin Credible" sweet spot of they put the belt on a guy that they know the bigger guys don't have any interest in, ensureing they can have a steady champ for a while, while finding the next draw. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Taven might be in that "Justin Credible" sweet spot of they put the belt on a guy that they know the bigger guys don't have any interest in, ensureing they can have a steady champ for a while, while finding the next draw. 

I like to think that ROH is taking after All Japan and NOAH in that you take a really young guy and hope that he grows into the part, hoping to emulate the Okada phenomenon.  

8 hours ago, Raziel said:

I buy that theory 100%.

I was just looking up Taven to see how old he is (34ish) and was shocked to see his real name is Matt Marinelli which is 100% a better wrestling name than Taven!

Main event was great this week too.  Silas Young mentoring Josh Woods should be good, too.  I’d be all for a stable of Silas’ Young Guns that he uses as canon fodder/backup under the guise of “mentoring” them.  

12 hours ago, Raziel said:

I don't understand how this works, what bigger guys don't have any interest?

Neither WWE not AEW has any interest in signing Matt Taven. If they put the belt of Marty, they'd be having to move it right back off of him right away.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Neither WWE not AEW has any interest in signing Matt Taven. If they put the belt of Marty, they'd be having to move it right back off of him right away.

This.  As the story goes, ECW was a heel territory and after having the last couple champs signed from underneath him, Heyman needed someone with a steady reign, and neither WWE or WCW gave a fuck about signing Credible, so that was the answer until he got someone better built up.  We can be pretty sure WWE, AEW, Impact, nor NJPW really look at Taven as someone they need to get, so therefore, he gets the belt as they really don't have any other options (the affor mentioned Scurll might be gone soon as his contract is up), and Lethal is both stale and approaching "time to cash out with an AEW or WWE contract" time served.

• Like 1

I read #LADDERWAR as BLADDERWAR and thought someone had decided enough with the metaphorical pissing contests in Wrestling, let's have an actual literal pissing contest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, AxB said:

I read #LADDERWAR as BLADDERWAR and thought someone had decided enough with the metaphorical pissing contests in Wrestling, let's have an actual literal pissing contest.

I'm surprised that hasn't happened yet on an indy show somewhere.  I would think GCW's outdoor show would have done it in some kind of ironic way.  But then there's Ian Rotten's promotion where I can definitely see that happening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm surprised that hasn't happened yet on an indy show somewhere.  I would think GCW's outdoor show would have done it in some kind of ironic way.  But then there's Ian Rotten's promotion where I can definitely see that happening.

Come on now. Brian Pillman should have actually whipped out his johnson and pissed in the middle of the ring.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, caley said:

I was just looking up Taven to see how old he is (34ish) and was shocked to see his real name is Matt Marinelli which is 100% a better wrestling name than Taven!

It's like Claudio Castagnoli wrestling as Cesaro. Antonio Cesaro wasn't bad, but nothing is going to top your birth name when it's Claudio Castagnoli.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, caley said:

The new ROH tv format is such bullshit.  Clipped matches with interviews and only one match shown in full, hosted by Riccaboni and Nise Bayley?!  If this is the format going forward...hard, hard pass.

One positive result of this is it lets me fast forward through everything that much quicker and still not miss what they're doing.  But hopefully this is a one-off thing assuming they didn't have anything in the can yet from TV tapings.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Archibald said:

Maybe it is their version of a TV special before PPV?

18 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

One positive result of this is it lets me fast forward through everything that much quicker and still not miss what they're doing.  But hopefully this is a one-off thing assuming they didn't have anything in the can yet from TV tapings.

Riccaboni said something about this being the debut of their new format so I’m nit sure about this being a one-off...

24 minutes ago, caley said:

Riccaboni said something about this being the debut of their new format so I’m nit sure about this being a one-off...

On the one hand I've grown quite fond of Quinn McCay so I'm fine with them using her more.  But if this is the start of a new trend then I'll definitely pass.  I see it as their latest attempt at hyping up shows for Honor Club and that's just going to further drive me away from the company.  It's a shame but that's how it goes.