DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

4 hours ago, alstein said:

At this point I'd love to see a WCCW/USWA angle with the NWA that end up with ROH being bought out by Billy Corgan and Nick Aldis tearing up the ROH banners to cheers.  Maybe Taven could be PY Chu-Hi.

Taven would really need to eat the fired chicken special at Slamburgers eeryday to be remotely in Phil Hickerson's pants

James

5 hours ago, alstein said:

At this point I'd love to see a WCCW/USWA angle with the NWA that end up with ROH being bought out by Billy Corgan and Nick Aldis tearing up the ROH banners to cheers.  Maybe Taven could be PY Chu-Hi.

Even thought he probably thinks he would be the Eric Embry, nobody would be more PY in this company then Bully Ray 

• Sad 1

Best in the world was one weird show.

Lets start with attendance:

Not apples to apples, but interesting nonetheless. From what I gather decline in ticket sales started not after The Elite left, but after All In. Are they starting to bounce back now? Or is just a bump till they finally reach their new levels somewhere lower? Who knows.

Now, first things first. I don't understand why the fuck RoH does not book their shows around main event. This is not a new problem, I remember last year same thing happened with Cody/Suzuki and I think it has happened few more times, but I don't recall specific matches now. Anyway, this was much better than Cody/Suzuki, but not something that you'd expect from big main event. And can't say anything against Cobb or Taven, considering that they had less than 10 minutes they did about as good they could. Finishing sequence looked rather brutal so if you want you can kinda rationalize that Taven really killed him. And heck, they can probably create a story out of this how Taven defeated the undefeated Cobb in less than 10 minutes. But you know, start fucking booking from the top so that when main eventers start going you don't have to shout that they got only 5 minutes left.

Briscoes vs NWA was overbooked just like Lifeblood vs VE and new member reveal. Its like they have one match and want to develop 10 different storylines around it. And Drake decided to hit burning hammer as a high spot. I think this is second time this year that someone in RoH used it as a high spot. And I hope that Flip does not have a serious injury again.

Everything else, more or less, I liked. Finish with Lethal and Gresham is interesting, I wonder where this is going?

To sum it up I think that this had potential to be pretty good PPV, but them giving only 10 minutes to main event seriously hurt it.

Edited by Archibald

Cobb on ROH TV this week busts out a deadlift Gut wrench suplex into a spinning piledriver against Haskins. PCO in the first match takes a running back drop onto the ring apron. Sadly Bully wrestles in a tag match on the show as well. 

On 6/28/2019 at 9:49 PM, hammerva said:

Jesus there are a ton of empty seats at this show.  In a mostly dead crowd too.  I mean when you can't get fans in Baltimore then you are in trouble

@Tromatagon mentioned there were $7 seats and even for that I passed.  I said this time last year I wouldn't give them another penny and thankfully have been true to my word.  If it wasn't for Sinclair then the past few months would have sealed my decision anyway.  There's so much insipid booking and considering the shit at the MSG show they deserve a low-attended dead crowd.  I would hope that somebody buys them out but that won't happen unless Sinclair stops seeing the value in them.  It's going to be interesting to see what happens when the contracts run out for various stars.

Yeah it's almost like their negative publicity with how they treat fans turned away a lot of the hardcore fans, which is pretty hilarious.  Hardcore internet fans is all they have.

GO BE A FAN for the low low price of $7!

Seriously though I can't even buy a decent drive thru lunch for $7 and I'd still not buy those tickets.

Edited by Tromatagon

Haskins/Cobb on this week's TV is pretty great, much more in line with what I hope for when I tune in to RoH. I was into PCO/Briscoe too but totally skipped ahead when Bully Ray showed up. That dude is an albatross on this company.

• Like 1

Well then did sell out at the Arena for the TV tapings.  Although I believe the Arena is a smaller building than Baltimore but I may be wrong.  Plus there is much more going on at a TV tapings to make it worth it. 

Edited by hammerva

28 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Haskins/Cobb on this week's TV is pretty great, much more in line with what I hope for when I tune in to RoH. I was into PCO/Briscoe too but totally skipped ahead when Bully Ray showed up. That dude is an albatross on this company.

Me n one of my sons watched it this morning and felt and did exactly what you just said.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Just wait for his big idea that will shake the wrestling world to its core...

...putting Joe Koff through a table

• Haha 3

Yeah that was the match of the night at the tapings I went to. The friend I went with had never heard of either guy, and as we were leaving he said that while he wasn't too impressed with the overall show he was definitely gonna check out more of Haskins and Cobb. 

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2019/07/04/roh-reportedly-talking-about-bringing-in-former-impact-wrestling-star/

Impact Wrestling has a few stars who are no longer with the company, but they could be very useful to another promotion. ROH is trying to make things work after losing The Elite and are carrying on with their future in mind.

Joe Hendry might be a Local Hero, but he didn’t do much in Impact Wrestling. His short stint was more of a comical role, but fans who have followed Hendry for years know that he’s not only The Prestigious One, but he also has a lot to offer.

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that ROH is currently discussing bringing Joe Hendry in. It wasn’t specified how far along talks are or if they’ve even begun at all, but with that one line in the WON, it could give a lot of promise for ROH.

Hendry is also a great freestyle wrestler. Following his victory at the 2017 national championship, Hendry entered Australia’s 2018 Commonwealth Games. So he can actually wrestle on a legit level.

So i'm watching Fyter Fest and that ROH ref that looks like a cross between Thomas Haden Church and Josh Matthews is on this show officiating the first match. Ring of Honor took the biggest hit from All Elite forming of them all.

42 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

So i'm watching Fyter Fest and that ROH ref that looks like a cross between Thomas Haden Church and Josh Matthews is on this show officiating the first match. Ring of Honor took the biggest hit from All Elite forming of them all.

I assume you mean Paul Turner? Him leaving was surprising. He had been with ROH since the beginning.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I know what Paul Turner looks like, this is a different guy the ref of Cima vs Daniels was a ROH ref I've seen him at the Vegas Shows. I thought that guy looks an awful lot like the guy from wings.

7 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I know what Paul Turner looks like, this is a different guy the ref of Cima vs Daniels was a ROH ref I've seen him at the Vegas Shows. I thought that guy looks an awful lot like the guy from wings.

Wings was an underrated show. I also liked THC in Tombstone. I'm not big on westerns, but I love that movie.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie