DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

But I respect him a ton for the balls to put that video out there.  He touched on points that I strongly feel about regarding Sinclair and while he took it down credit goes to him for defending his reasoning.  

Edited by NikoBaltimore
Since it's not an ROH show I took out the potentially negative part of this.
  • Like 2

Well a couple things that make no sense.  Is Lethal really going to defend the title as Black Machismo character and not as Jay Lethal?   That seems weird but I guess TNA from 8 years ago was hot in Israeli compared to Ring of Honor now.   Also unless they completely downplay his religion, David Starr isn't going to be a heel in that match.  

Edited by hammerva

David Starr is one of the best promos in wrestling and he's great in-ring too. Dude gets it like very few do.

Thanks for that, I'll have to check him out more.  Any particular matches to look for?  And if so if there's ones on Youtube/Dailmotion/etc. that would be great.

Check out his stuff from OTT with and against Devlin. The hype video to their recent blow-off match was perhaps second only to Rock/Austin Mania X-7 imo and you can see his promo skills shine there. Any of his matches with WALTER are incredible. The WXW match with Starr and Dragunov taking on RINGKAMPF from last August was a low key MOTYC for me. As was the 2017 tag with Jurn Simmons against Thatcher and WALTER too. I remember first finding out about him during his feud with Riddle from CZW which was very good too.The match RIPPA posted a while back vs. Orange Cassidy from Beyond featured great psychology. I haven't seen it but his death match with Janela from Beyond Americana got a lot of notice and sounded pretty crazy. I should probably check that out one day.

I do have one concern with him, and I've voiced it in the general discussion thread already, and it's the fact he's dangerously close to crossing the Ham & Cheese Line where he becomes overly melodramatic like Gargano. Emotion in wrestling is what matters to me the most. He is so fucking good at bringing out emotion and meaning in his promos and matches, but sometimes he goes too far where you feel like you're watching an off-Broadway play and brother is going into business himself to get noticed. And the finish to the Cassidy match was not so great in that regard too. Really hokey. However, I hope AEW signs him up before ROH does because he's still only 28 and has all the tools to be a big star. I would love to see him feud with their top guys down the line and work his way up the card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd respect him if he refused the booking and did this promo explaining why he won't work with RoH. Now to me it looks like he just wants to be edgy: "this evil company that is paying me money would really hate it if I won".

But he doesn't work for ROH and doesn't get paid by ROH. The match is being promoted by an Israeli promotion, it just happens to be for the ROH title.

• Like 2

Thanks for that, I'll have to check him out more.  Any particular matches to look for?  And if so if there's ones on Youtube/Dailmotion/etc. that would be great.

I can't think of any specific matches offhand, but he was excellent in AAW for the past year or two. He, Eddie Kingston, Jeff Cobb, and Trevor Lee were in a heel faction (Wrstling aka Wrestling without the E) and did some really great stuff in the ring and character-wise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love that David Starr is the one person to shit on Ring of Honor because of who they are working with to set up an actual Ring of honor title match.   This particular incredible promo was pulled:

That was tremendous. That makes me want to see David Starr win the ROH world title.

• Like 2

So Starr isn't winning. Too bad Sinclair is in fact Big Brother and had the promo pulled. Shit having Starr as Champion might be the way to go now. But he called them what they are a Right Wing Propaganda Machine and they couldn't handle it.

There's no way this isn't a good showcase for Starr. You really think that ROH is going to punish a Jew in Israel after cutting that promo? That would make them look so fucking terrible and the backlash would be way strong.

• Like 1

There's no way this isn't a good showcase for Starr. You really think that ROH is going to punish a Jew in Israel after cutting that promo? That would make them look so fucking terrible and the backlash would be way strong.

I know I shouldn't but I can't help but hope this happens.  With Sinclair behind them they're in a too-big-to-fail scenario.  While it will be really ugly at first I could see it leading to something positive at the end of it all.  But then again I'm still in the "Fuck Sinclair" camp even if I don't say it much like Natural does with his views.

• Like 2

I don't want to speak for everybody else but I'm okay with fewer mindless "fuck *insert noun*" posts. 

I am too and that's why I do what I can to avoid saying such things (aside from my last post here)

Several of his matches with Joey Janela are on youtube from Beyond Wrestling including his No Rope Barbed Wire match with him. 

• Thanks 1