DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

9 hours ago, DEAN said:

Lifeblood appears to be the boringest stable in the history of wrestling but this is two matches in a row- this and the 6 man against Villain Enterprises- that has completely ruled.

Lifeblood probably sums up RoH 2019 in general pretty well, they still provided some good matches, but storylines and the booking in general was falling apart.

• Like 1

Well it fell apart because Juice Robinson basically said fuck this shit about two months into his ROH reign.   He was clearly the leader of the group.  Then David Finlay I think got hurt and never appeared again.  Then Tennille left.    I believe there has been more people who have left the company in Lifeblood then who is currently in it.  

9 hours ago, hammerva said:

Well it fell apart because Juice Robinson basically said fuck this shit about two months into his ROH reign.   He was clearly the leader of the group.  Then David Finlay I think got hurt and never appeared again.  Then Tennille left.    I believe there has been more people who have left the company in Lifeblood then who is currently in it.  

Without Juice, Lifeblood was doomed to fail. A different promotion would have split them all together or repackaged the group as a different faction with one of the other members stepping up as the leader.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/roh-signs-australian-wrestler-slex/

ROH Signs Australian Wrestler Slex

Ring of Honor has announced that they have signed Australian wrestler Slex to a contract with the company. He also commented on the news, which you can see below. Here’s the press release:

TOP AUSTRALIAN STAR SLEX SIGNS WITH ROH

In another example of Ring of Honor’s commitment to signing the best international talent in pro wrestling, top Australian star Slex is on his way to the company.

Slex’s impending arrival was announced in a video during Final Battle Fallout in Philadelphia Sunday night.

The Melbourne native has been a pro wrestler for more than half his life even though he’s just 33. Known as “The Business,” Slex is a two-time Melbourne City Wrestling Heavyweight Champion, and he also has competed for New Japan Pro-Wrestling.

17 hours ago, Archibald said:

Lifeblood probably sums up RoH 2019 in general pretty well, they still provided some good matches, but storylines and the booking in general was falling apart.

It was a dumb stable from the start, too.  A bunch of guys committed to bringing honor back to ROH?  That would have worked amazing as a heel stable to counter the Elite previously:  a bunch of stodgy guys upset at the way Elite do things would have drawn insane heat when they would interrupt their nonsense.  As a face stable in 2019? Ugh.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

This week's ROH TV is a Best of and the Main Event is RUSH/Dragon Lee vs. The Briscoes so make sure you watch this week's because that might be the ROH MOTY or at least in the Top 3. 

Yeah this match ruled. Haven't seen Rush that motivated in a while. My favorite thing was Mark Briscoe getting busted open and his whole face getting pixelated by the censors.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2019 at 1:41 PM, Hail Sabin said:

This week's TV has RUSH/Dragon Lee vs. Haskins/Williams which is really Fun. 

I just watched this, this is the latest episode on the ROH Website. It was my first episode in a long time and I'm convinced that I have to be a bigger Lucha fan than I realized because most of the my favorite wrestlers in Promotions I've taken the time to watch is Lucha guys from Andrade to Lucha Bros to Dragon Lee to now Rush. And I'm not familiar with their work in Mexico. I might have to take out the time to watch ROH the next time I'm off to get familiar with all the angles because I watch it with the sound off.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/12/backstage-news-on-marty-scurll-status-with-roh-and-nwa-663917/

Backstage News On Marty Scurll's Status With ROH And NWA

Despite appearing for both ROH and NWA last week, Marty Scurll is currently a free agent, according to the latest edition of The Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

Scurll is one of several ROH stars whose contracts were expiring, along with Jeff Cobb, Bandido, Brody King, Tracy Williams and Shane Taylor. While it's not clear what the status is for any of those talents, it appears as if Scurll will be working for both ROH and NWA for the near future.

Scurll, whose ROH contract expired in November, owns the rights to Villain Enterprises, and the group were victorious in the main event of the ROH Final Battle Fallout tapings last week. It also appears that Scurll will be facing Nick Aldis in the main event of the next NWA pay-per-view in January.

It was noted in the Observer that Scurll is also booked for another date that's not for either NWA or ROH, however that spot is being kept quiet.

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2019/12/23/roh-trying-hard-to-keep-top-star/

ROH Trying Hard To Keep Top Star

The pro wrestling world has a few stars that could pick which company that they want to work for. Jeff Cobb seems to be in a very good position right now.

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that Cobb’s “priorities have always been New Japan.” Ring Of Honor was just the first to offer him a contract with “real money.”

He did have some issues with his Lucha Underground contract. That El Rey Network show tried to keep several stars locked down for a long time and Cobb was one of them. 

It is interesting that Jeff Cobb also seems to be an exception as ROH is willing to work around his wishes.

Even though New Japan talent hasn’t worked ROH, while continuing to work RevPro, the sides have worked together as far as New Japan getting dates on Cobb.

It was noted that Marty Scurll couldn’t work the Super J Cup because it conflicted with ROH dates. Jeff Cobb seems to be getting some great treatment from ROH in the meantime which could go to help him make a decision to stay when that time comes.

On 12/23/2019 at 12:03 PM, DEAN said:

I was also amazed at how good the Shawn Taylor/ Bandido match was.

Gotta love Bandido doing that tornillo practically right into the kid with the blue hair's lap. He officially made himself that kid's favorite wrestler that night. 

Kee-RIST did Briscoes/Dinastia Munoz start out fast, then after they geared down they amped up the stiffness to match it. That might've been the best tag I've seen all year.

• Like 2

Man seeing this week''s episode made me sad how bad ROH has fallen. I know the MSG show was mostly a New Japan show sponsored by ROH but still. And that ladder match was boring even though they were killing themselves with the bumps they were taking.

The saddest part to me when it comes to ROH is that I've got to the point where I'm a front row guy that finally gets to bang on the signs on the barricades when they come to my city and the product is at it's all time worst and the NJPW connect is going down the toilet. Hardtimes. 

8 hours ago, Infinit said:

The saddest part to me when it comes to ROH is that I've got to the point where I'm a front row guy that finally gets to bang on the signs on the barricades when they come to my city and the product is at it's all time worst and the NJPW connect is going down the toilet. Hardtimes. 

Those Global Wars shows that came through Toronto every spring were great. I got to see Tanahashi wrestle live and in his prime in a minor league hockey arena, only Ring of Honor did that. It truly is a shame they've long since eaten up the good will from those times because they had a solid shot at being a #2 for a second there.

• Like 1

https://411mania.com/wrestling/alex-zayne-vs-bandido-added-to-roh-honor-reigns-supreme/

Alex Zayne vs. Bandido Added To ROH Honor Reigns Supreme

Ring of Honor has announced that Alex Zayn will make his debut for the promotion against Bandido at ROH Honor Reigns Supreme. Here’s a press release:

Alex Zayne, who became a viral sensation last summer, will make his Ring of Honor debut against Bandido in a matchup of death-defying daredevils at Honor Reigns Supreme in Concord, N.C., on Jan. 12.

Zayne created a buzz in July when video of him executing a 630 senton over the top rope that put his opponent through a door during a Game Changer Wrestling event went viral.

While it may seem as if Zayne is an overnight success, he actually made his debut on the independent wrestling scene in 2005. He has spent the past month competing in Japan.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/12/ring-of-honor-announces-new-matches-for-center-stage-and-664146/

Ring of Honor announced some new matches to their upcoming shows in January. Saturday Night at Center Stage will take place in Atlanta, Georgia on January 11. Newly featured on the card will be Marty Scurll, Brody King, and Flip Gordon vs. Bandido, Flamita, and Rey Horus.

Honor Reigns Supreme goes down on January 12 at the Cabarrus Arena in Concord, North Carolina. Recently added to the show: Flip Gordon vs. Flamita, and Bandido vs. Alex Zayne. This will be Zayne's ROH debut.

Both events will air live for ROH HonorClub subscribers. Below are the complete updated lineups:

Saturday Night at Center Stage

* PCO (c) vs. Rush (ROH World Championship)
* Dragon Lee (c) vs. Andrew Everett (ROH World TV Championship)
* Villain Enterprises (Marty Scurll, Brody King, and Flip Gordon) vs. Bandido, Flamita, and Rey Horus
* Jonathan Gresham (with Jay Lethal) vs. Josh Woods (with Silas Young)
* Nicole Savoy and Sumie Sakai vs. The Allure (Angelina Love and Mandy Leon)

Honor Reigns Supreme

* Villain Enterprises (Marty Scurll, PCO, and Brody King) (c) vs. La Faccion Ingobernable (Rush, Dragon Lee, and Kenny King) (ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Championship)
* Flip Gordon vs. Flamita
* Bandido vs. Alex Zayne
* Rey Horus vs. Andrew Everett
* LifeBlood (Mark Haskins and Tracy Williams) vs. Vincent Marseglia and Tyler Bateman

• RIPPA locked this topic