DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

With the move going on I have been behind on ROH for a couple weeks.  But since I'm switching from Comcast to Youtube TV while I technically get ROH's shows I find myself not wanting to anymore.  Be it through that or Fite I think I'm completely done with ROH.  For all that people say about giving up or FFing through Raw I have skipped over so much with ROH it's not even funny.

Which really sucks as I figured while I won't give them money it wouldn't hurt to at least watch the shows on delay.  But considering I've followed ROH since they started to be done with them feels kind of sad.   But if there is a match worth checking out I MAY catch the replay.  Other than that I think if I'm going to check out ROH it's going to be through DVDs from the early '00s.

• Like 2

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2019/12/03/britt-baker-lost-roh-dates-after-aew-signing/

Britt Baker Lost ROH Dates After AEW Signing

Britt Baker was the first female other than Brandi Rhodes who was publicly announced with an AEW contract. This revelation reportedly cost Baker some ROH dates.

Fightful reports that Britt Baker had “about a half-dozen dates” left for ROH when she signed with AEW. All Elite Wrestling stars were allowed to fulfill previous commitments before the company opened their doors.

It is reported that Baker’s ROH dates were cut and Joe Koff told people backstage that ROH “didn’t feel like they owed Baker anything” in regards to keeping her dates.

Baker did have some people “go to bat” for her so she could have a five-minute match against Kelly Klein. This only took place after she arrived at the venue and found out that ROH pulled her from the show.

https://lordsofpain.net/rey-horus-and-nicole-savoy-making-roh-debut-at-final-battle-2019/

Rey Horus and Nicole Savoy Making ROH Debut At Final Battle 2019

ROH recently announced that “The Mercenary” Flip Gordon will be facing the debuting Rey Horus at Final Battle 2019 on December 15th. Horus is most known from his appearances for Lucha Underground as Dragon Azteca Jr. Horus also wrestled under the name El Hijo de Rey Misterio during his time in the indies. He’s the second wrestler to be named that.

Also making her debut is Nicole Savoy. She’ll be facing Sumi Sakai at the same event. Savoy is known as the “Queen of Suplexes.” She’s the longest reigning champion in Shimmer history by holding it from 2017 to 2019.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/backstage-notes-woh-issues-britt-baker-dates/

Backstage Notes on Scrapped Women of Honor Plans in ROH

Fightful released a report on previous plans for the ROH Women of Honor division as well as various issues with the female talent roster, following the exitof reigning WOH champion Kelly Klein, after he publicly revealed various problems with ROH and the company’s management. The Fightful report also mentions some scrapped plans for the division.

Several people familiar with the booking plans stated that at one point, Deonna Purrazzo was going to win the Women of Honor title from Sumie Sakai. This would’ve led to Kelly Klein winning the title back at Final Battle 2018 or losing it to Deonna Purrazzo after they feuded for the belt. This plan was scrapped due to Purrazzo ultimately signing with WWE.

Per the report, several people in ROH were frustrated with Purrazzo’s exit from the tournament, and ROH higher-ups reportedly found the idea of Klein vs. Purazzo being the finals in the tournament to be “too predictable.” This resulted in things being switched up. One of the plans that didn’t pan out included Purrazzo working as a babyface in the tournament against Klein. Klein then would’ve ridiculed Purrazzo after she took an early exit from the tournament.

Also, the report states that ROH cut most of Britt Baker’s remaining dates with the promotion after she signed a contract with All Elite Wrestling (AEW). Baker is said to have had about half-dozen remaining dates with ROH when she signed her ROH deal. However, Joe Koff is rumored to have told officials that ROH didn’t owe Baker anything as it pertained to letting Baker fulfill the rest of their agreed upon dates. Others backstage then went to back just so Baker could have a five-minute match with Kelly Klein when Baker reportedly arrived at a venue for an ROH event, and apparently had no idea her remaining dates were cut and that she’d also been taken off the show.

The report also has more details on payouts for the Women of Honor wrestlers. The initial offerings for the division were $12,000 a year from the start of 2018. The deals were said to be “non-negotiable.” The number was lated increased to $20,000 a year. Multiple women claimed they tried to get across to the office of ROH that the women’s matches did well on the company’s digital platforms and tried to get more screen time. Before the $12,000 a year deal was established, the base rate for non-exclusive, non-contracted talent in the promotion was said to be $150 for male or female talent. Additionally, that number could be even lower for enhancement talents or one-offs.

As noted, Kelly Klein was let go from the company when she was on the injury shelf after suffering a concussion. ROH later released a statement saying, “We didn’t fire [Kelly Klein], we just notified her that we would not be renewing her contract.”

https://heelbynature.com/wrestling-news/wwe-news/report-roh-might-attempt-to-work-with-wwe-booking-unhappy-talent/

Report: ROH Might Attempt To Work With WWE Booking Unhappy Talent

Over the last year several WWE stars have asked for their release, for a multitude of reasons, including creative issues.

WWE has not been keen on granting releases, with the fear talent may want to join another promotion, more specifically AEW.

Dave Meltzer reports an interesting idea from Ring Of Honor in the latest issue of The Wrestling Observer Newsletter. The report indicates Ring Of Honor would attempt to work with WWE to book stars such as Mike Kanellis and Oney Lorcan.

ROH and WWE have worked out deals in the past, such as ROH providing footage for WWE documentaries. WWE only books contracted talent to approved independent partners such as Progress and ICW.  Some talent have had approval to make appearances at independent events.

The report cites politics between Ring Of Honor being affiliated with New Japan Pro Wrestling as an issue past licensing video footage. NJPW and ROH’s relationship has began to wane due to New Japan beginning to promote shows themselves in the United States.

There was talk that ROH would attempt to work with WWE and book Bennett and/or Oney Lorcan. The sides have talked in the past, and reached business deals such as ROH giving them footage for documentaries and other things over the years have been discussed but the usual politics of ROH being affiliated with New Japan have seemingly kept anything past licensing some video as the extent of working together.”  – Wrestling Observer Newsletter

https://www.sescoops.com/roh-coo-joe-koff-addresses-kelly-klein-concussion-controversy/

ROH COO Joe Koff Addresses Kelly Klein Concussion Controversy

Ring of Honor has been the center of controversy as of late after Kelly Klein, Joey Mercury, and BJ Whitmer all spoke out about issues they have faced with company management. In response, ROH COO Joe Koff recently took part in an interview with SI.com. 

Klein’s criticisms of ROH center around the company’s protocol regarding concussions. The 3x WOH Champion suffered a concussion recently and said that no medical personnel was at the event to diagnose her condition and ROH talent is not aware of any existing protocol regarding concussions.

“The issue is that no one received training or protocol to recognize what to do when something is wrong,” Klein said. “The problem is that no one has the protocol, no one has seen the protocol, and no one is in charge of making sure the protocol is followed.”

“No medical personnel were ringside,” said Klein regarding the night she suffered the concussion. “No medical personnel were in the immediate backstage area.”

Speaking with SI.com, Koff said that in contrast to Klein’s statements, a medic was backstage at the show. 

“It is not posted, we don’t share documents like that publicly,” said Koff regarding the concussion protocol. “When [Klein suffered her concussion] on October 26, there was a medic there, hired by Ring of Honor, and she got immediate attention once it was known she was feeling anything.”

“The protocol is just this—we recognize the dangers that are inherent in professional wrestling,” Koff continued. “More specifically, the possibility exists of a wrestler suffering a concussion during a match, and we take all injuries very, very seriously. When we are alerted or when we feel there is an injury, we immediately defer to the medical professional on staff.”

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Death Before Dishonor has been changed to Death Before Dumpster Fire.

Nope, it's just been shortened to simply Death.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Casey said:

So who here is going to step up and try to defend ROH originally paying the women wrestlers $12K a year? Anyone?

Depends on how many dates they are being used.  If she does 25 shows a year it's not bad for curtain jerking indy work.  Ciampa admitted he had a day job while working for ROH since it's not full time work.  No one forced Kelly Klein to take the job and it's 12K a year more than she would get from any other wrestling outfit.  She could have got stuck in a situation with Impact where you get paid by appearance and then rarely used or paid

• Like 1

Well, it more depends on how exclusive the contracts are, and if they're comparable to their closest contemporaries (MLW and Impact).  I somehow doubt that Impact is only paying Tessa, Rosemary, Young, Taya, and Grace $12k a piece and SIGNIFICANTLY less than male draws (if Ciampia was the low end at $20K, that's still 6 thousand less than then men for a top tier woman)  You can argue Klein's and several other's skill/drawing power, but the gap is still an issue, and the pay scales in RoH are suprisingly low for the arguable Number 3 promotion in the US that's been in the conversation for #2 for close to a decade.

• Like 2

Kelly Klein has 57 ROH matches listed on CageMatch.  Not for 2019.  Total since 2015.  19 is her max for one year in both 2019 and 2018.  9 in 2017.  8 in 2016.  2 in 2015.  $12-20K a year seems pretty good for 19 dates as the face of a division nobody cares about.

• Like 1

https://411mania.com/wrestling/various-news-aaa-considering-using-jon-moxley-elite-for-future-show-roh-expanding-on-new-sinclair-sports-channels/

The site also reports that ROH will continue to get new levels of expansion into the former Fox Sports Net channels that Sinclair Broadcast Group purchased. The current plan is to have ROH TV appear on all the channels on Friday at midnight, which would be the first airing in most markets. Los Angeles and Phoenix are getting ROH for the first time as part of this deal, while Chicago will begin carrying the company in February.

15 hours ago, Archibald said:

Probably nobody cares, but RoH started releasing promo videos for FB matches, I think they are kinda cool? Definitely not on OTT's level, but better than what RoH usually produces.

These videos make me wish ROH wasn't the shitstorm it is right now. I like Vinny Marseglia's transformation from a dude who's REALLY into horror movies to Charles Manson. 

For an undead monster, PCO cleans up really well.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 1

You cannot dress for war all of the time. 

Sometimes in the quiet moments outside of the ring, you need to remind yourself that you are a pimp and a gentleman by dressing the part.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1