DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

Oh and insofar as grocery workers vs. wrestlers, well the person at the checkout doesn't very well fall on fucking padded wood and concrete for a living do they? 

I'm inclined to believe any and all wrestlers should be paid more than they're getting no matter their talent. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh and insofar as grocery workers vs. wrestlers, well the person at the checkout doesn't very well fall on fucking padded wood and concrete for a living do they? 

I'm inclined to believe any and all wrestlers should be paid more than they're getting no matter their talent. 

Especially more than $20k or $24k when you're the fucking champion of a national promotion backed by a billion dollar company, regardless of how weak the division you're champion of is.

• Like 4

Plus, again, they apparently put in writing that they have a cap on the salary of women that doesn't exist for the men, which is about a textbook definition of gender pay discrimination as you could possibly ask for.

• Like 5

On 11/21/2019 at 8:32 AM, paintedbynumbers said:

What is the excuse for not uploading the 2003-2008 shows on Honor Club?? Arguably the best shows they ever had and yet they don't make them readily available.  Is there a reason why? 

I wouldn't worry about it. The way things are going, they'll be coming soon to the WWE Network. 

• Like 3

I wonder if Sinclair could get a deal with WWE where Vince takes the ROH headache off their hands on the cheap but also provides something like Superstars or Main Event to fill the cheap programming that is the only reason they bought ROH.

Edited by Brian Fowler

First of all - the entire Joey thing is sad to watch play out. It's going to end terribly & as a wrestling community we shouldn't be enabling him by finding joy in watching what is happening play out in front of our very eyes. People like BJ Whitmer & Kelly Klein should feel worse for using his current state to push their own agendas. This is of course not to say any of the claims against ROH don't have merit.

Second - I don't understand the negativity towards ROH in the sense of wanting them to go out of buisness. ROH gives at minimum 20-30 wrestlers (& some staff) a way to make a great living at pro wrestling while doing a relatively easy schedule compared to other organizations. You want that to stop just because you don't like Matt Taven matches or how Delirious books? Just stop watching if that's the case. Why wish for the company to die & wrestlers to have less options? That's the part that confuses me.

I don't think it's so much people want them to go out of business as it is that their business is in free fall (like they've went from averaging a bit over a thousand fans per show last year to around 400 the last couple months) combined with getting a lot of bad press right now.

Sinclair bought them just for cheap programming, and finally they started putting something actual capital into the company, only to have the bottom fall out the very next year (mostly because of The Elite leaving and the New Japan partnership getting real rocky) it seems very possible that they won't be worth the headache.

I do want them to take care of and do their best to protect their workers, which doesn't seem to be something they are all that interested in.

Jesus Christ. Gilleland is a fucking idiot. Just ignore all of the other shit and let's just focus on these back and forth messages. Anyone else this fucking stupid would be fired. He seriously has shit for brains. You're a small promotion trying to draw and make money. Even if Marty leaves, THAT'S HAPPENING IN DECEMBER!!! This happened MONTHS ago. These dumb fucks could have pulled the trigger on Marty or PCO or anyone from Villain Enterprises and drawn off of a hot act and then use that hot act to elevate someone else. This is wrestling booking 101. It ain't difficult. And hell, MAYBE Marty winds up staying!

So instead of doing that, they have boring as fucking Matt Taven as champ because they're afraid Marty is going to leave, which just creates a self-fulfilling prophecy, and they pulled the trigger on that lame ass Enzo and Cass stuff.

For this alone damn near everyone in management and in booking at ROH should be sacked, but they won't because Sinclair doesn't give a fuck.

I swear, if Marty re-signs with ROH, he's a bigger idiot than Mike Bennett or Sin Cara or anyone else who re-signed with WWE and then asked for their release months later.

To quote Succession, this is the shit show at the fuck factory.

• Like 2

And if you're Matt Taven, this is what management thinks of you. Hell, if you're anyone else at ROH, this is probably what they think of you. If you have any chance of making money elsewhere, do it. Don't hesitate, just do it. If you're Taven, go to NXT and let them mold you into something that's worth a damn. I only say this because I don't want him crudding up AEW and AEW doesn't have the infrastructure like WWE has with the PC.

• Like 1

Christ, one last thing because this shit really bugs me...

THIS IS THE SAME COMPANY THAT DID THE SUMMER OF PUNK ANGLE!!!!!

CM PUNK SIGNED HIS WWE CONTRACT ON THE FUCKING ROH WORLD TITLE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RING!!!!!

And they're all like, oh, well, we can't put the title on Marty because what if he leaves SIX MOTHERFUCKING MONTHS FROM NOW. We made fun of TNA a lot over the years and rightly so. This may very well be dumber than anything TNA ever did.

• Like 3

Taven doesn't really have anything to do with it. Rush is now the champ and numbers are continuing to drop. Likely same would have happened if Marty won, PCO is not even worth bringing up. Problem is that Taven became a face of "lolRoH" and got lots of shit for it when we can clearly see that main problem here are guys like Greg and not the talent. I mean, Marty wins and you still have Enzo/Cass, Allure, Bully and what else shitting up the place for next few months? You'll still see declining ticket sales.

For example, another major problem with RoH is that people on twitter and other places just post pictures of empty arenas and make fun of it. As a result hype around RoH slowly dies and it has negative impact on how brand itself is seen. It simply is not cool at the moment to follow RoH regardless of all their other problems. So, this moron thinks that running packed 500 people shows will not help them, but running empty 10 000 people arena will? What the fucking fuck? And why you'd pay talent less for wrestling in smaller arena? What the hell?

So, lets say you put the title on Marty here... you'll still have these stupid people making same stupid decisions. NJPW guys would still be pissed at RoH, internet community would still be pissed for Enzo/Cass, everyone would still mock RoH for running empty arenas, Bully still goes around saying stupid shit to fans. Taven winning at MSG probably doesn't even make the "top 10 problems with RoH" list at this point.

I really don't like Flip and I think that he is bad wrestler that shouldn't be earning what people in grocery store are earning either. But Greg throwing him under the bus for not drawing is amazing. How is he supposed to draw? What they have done to make him a draw? I think that Bully putting him over at last Final Battle was okay, but everything since then was meaningless. I haven't watched last few shows, but I think they never even explained why he joined VE. How is he going to draw anything? Why should I care about him?

Even people that really don't like YBs and Cody probably agree that they are great at self-promotion, argument probably could be made that they are one of the greatest self-promoters in this era of wrestling. And RoH had them. They also had NJPW talent here and there when novelty of seeing NJPW guys in USA was very strong. So basically they didn't have to do anything, shows would just sell on their own and probably they figured that this is how things are supposed to be. You book the arena, talent draws on their own and you just get the profits. And now things have changed and they have no clue what to do. When the guy brings up some ideas what to do Flip.. Greg looks baffled? Its like some alien concept to him that they should do something with the talent.

Edited by Archibald