DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

They just did this long angle with Marty Scurll looking for a fourth member of VE, and eventually went for Flip. But now Marty's probably off to a bigger league in a month or two, while Flip's ROH deal has a whole extra year to run. What's he going to do for a year? The 'All my friends are dead' routine won't be fresh any more.

If they copy Scott Steiner in TNA after the Main Event Mafia all left (either the group, or the promotion as a whole) where he delusionally insists they're still going strong even though it's a one man faction now, that might be fun.

Flip starts his own faction with a new name?

Like SCU, I have a feeling the Villain Enterprises name is going to AEW as well. I'd bet the house Marty is trying to get PCO and Brody to go with him. I want to see Marty holding a grudge against the Elite for leaving him behind.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Austin said:

Not sure if to put this in here or the Impact thread but rumors seem to be going around that Impact is in talks to buy ROH

The only good thing about that is it would get them from Sinclair.  So if they can do that then I may just buy something from ROH again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Archibald said:

I don't really see Flip as a guy who could lead a faction.

I haven't heard Flip cut one promo since he turned into grumpy Flip.  While Marty isn't the best talker he is much better than Flip Gordon.  I mean if you are going to start a new group made out of Villain Enterprises people, why not use Destro.    

So apparently Shane Taylor is bothered about how he isn't shown on the latest ROH poster.  Probably a work but if he thinks there is a market for him then boy is he in for a shock.  He isn't Keith Lee

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Austin said:

Not sure if to put this in here or the Impact thread but rumors seem to be going around that Impact is in talks to buy ROH

I'm not entirely sure What Culture repeating a Reddit rumor is a good source.

18 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'm not entirely sure What Culture repeating a Reddit rumor is a good source.

That's where it came from?  In that case there went my hopes of supporting them again.

EDIT:  Just saw what @Wee Bey posted and one thing that would get me to pay more attention to them is knowing Session Moth Martina signed.  I was kind of sad when I read WWE offered her a contract and I'm glad she passed on that.  Why she signed with ROH who knows (c'mon, Impact was RIGHT THERE!) but it'll be cool to see her on TV.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

https://whatculture.com/wwe/rumour-impact-wrestling-to-buy-ring-of-honor

There's a reason we have capitalised 'RUMOUR' in the title. Consider it an exercise in back-covering, for the source behind this story, a self-professed "insider", has a less-than-stellar track record of predicting the future. 

Reddit user 'KingOfGeorgia95', who claims to have worked for Impact Wrestling for a "few years" before leaving in 2016, "reported" last year that Impact "wants nothing to do with" Michael Elgin, who debuted this year. They also wrote last year that Impact were attempting to renew their relationship with New Japan Pro Wrestling, with "constant talks" having taken place. This was revealed to be bullsh*t of the most hilarious order a couple of months back; NJPW told Davey Boy Smith, Jr. that he was unable to take dates with Impact because of "F*cking Jeff Jarrett". New Japan officials don't even know who is in charge to negotiate with

Regardless, it's a slow news day, and since a Reddit moderator did once describe the user as having sources that "seem to check out for the most part", here is their scoop: Impact Wrestling's parent company, Anthem, is "in talks" to purchase Ring of Honor. 

They expect Anthem to fold ROH "completely" and absorb its entire library into the Impact Plus app. This is where the bullsh*t detectors are set off. Isn't this premature? Wouldn't a worked inter-promotional war make a decent amount of money, as opposed to "very nearly f*ck all"?

Then again, it is Impact, so who the hell knows.

This doesn’t seem legitimate at all

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, hammerva said:

I haven't heard Flip cut one promo since he turned into grumpy Flip.  While Marty isn't the best talker he is much better than Flip Gordon.  I mean if you are going to start a new group made out of Villain Enterprises people, why not use Destro.    

So apparently Shane Taylor is bothered about how he isn't shown on the latest ROH poster.  Probably a work but if he thinks there is a market for him then boy is he in for a shock.  He isn't Keith Lee

Unfortunately for Shane and I'd guess a good portion of this board, there doesn't seem to be a lot of women into BBM, compared to men into BBW. Someone really needs to get in Shane's ear and tell him that wet suit really does no favors for his huge ass and child bearing hips. His look might be one of the worst in wrestling. Shane Taylor is Keith Lee if Lee had a terrible look and made all the wrong life decisions.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

"Guy who makes terrible life decisions" would actually be a decent gimmick if you booked him well. Have him turn on his best friend to join a heel stable, get put at the bottom of the pecking order, and consistently refuse to turn back face no matter how much everyone wants him to. I've known people like that, the bully's friend who is actually a nice guy if you get him on his own, and probably is bullied more than anyone but refuses to stand up for himself. You could do some things with that character type. Like the Blue Meanie if Stevie refused to turn the BWO babyface.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

It is an angle that they have been running since he won the TV title. All the time he complains about not getting respect that he deserves.

I feel like ROH and Impact are in similar positions and maybe it would be better if they did amalgamate to strengthen their pretty thin rosters (Impact's women division aside).

edit: obviously, I say this as a fan. It would suck for a lot of people losing their jobs and for there being one less place to earn a living (mostly?) wrestling.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

ROH not being owned by Sinclair would only be a good thing. Give me Don Callis, Jimmy Jacobs, Tommy Dreamer, and whomever else is writing for Impact over Delirious, Bully Ray, Joey Matthews. I'd have no problem with the latter continuing to wrestle, but keep them the fuck away from any booking jobs.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Archibald said:

When you combine two struggling companies you might just end up with another struggling company.

I think it would be an improvememt. Just about anything has to be an improvement over Sinclair's penny pinching ways. I don't know how much lower ROH in its present state can sink. The amount of damage done makes it not even worth keeping the ROH name. There is a decent amount of talent in ROH worth keeping, while trimming the fat.

Ring of Honor definitely has the better talent even if you take how incredibly gutted they are getting with AEW and other companies getting stronger.  But it feels like Impact actually does things with the talent that they use.  Killer Kross is unfortunately the lone bad example.  There are so many people in ROH right now that feel like they are just there to be fill a card.

• Like 1

It's odd to think, Jay Lethal was in TNA for years and years, but looking at the current Impact roster, it's all fresh match ups and no stale ones.

• Like 2

So it appears that ROH has decided that what's best for business is doing a worked shoot angle with their TV champ

They have announced they and Taylor have agreed to a buyout of his contract but they are negotiating with him to defend the title at Death Before Dishonor

Whee!

• Haha 1