DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

On 8/6/2019 at 8:03 PM, sabremike said:

To the people who always take snarky shots at Justin Credible: you know just how good he really was as a worker? I actually saw him have a great match with a physically shot and washed up Jack Victory at a house show in Danbury. That's borderline miraculous.

I remember seeing Jack Victory vs. Danny Doring (pre-Roadkill team) at South River High School in South River, NJ around May/June 1998. My biggest takeaway from the match was being shocked Jack Victory was still wrestling. Oh yeah...Doring had "Muffin Ass" sewn on the back of his tights. I always liked that Doring wore a Bret Hart style singlet and he and Roadkill used the Hart Attack, although it was called the Lancaster Lariat of Lust.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Nobody wears Bret/Vader style gear any more. You've got trunks guys, long tights guys and singlet guys (and 'I just wear regular clothes to wrestle in' guys). Nobody wears a singlet and long tights any more. Someone should. Differentiate yourself.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

Nobody wears Bret/Vader style gear any more. You've got trunks guys, long tights guys and singlet guys (and 'I just wear regular clothes to wrestle in' guys). Nobody wears a singlet and long tights any more. Someone should. Differentiate yourself.

I wouldn't mind KO going back to the singlet like he wore in his "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen days.

13 hours ago, AxB said:

Not that he ever makes television, but Curt Hawkins was rocking the Bret Hart style ring gear. 

Did anyone else see the screencap of the TM map for Death Before Dishonor which shows they've sold roughly 70 tickets so far? If they want to sell the place out here's my idea: say that because he just beat Naito, White and Moxley Toru Yano will get a ROH World Title shot vs Matt Taven as the main event. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AxB said:

Curt Hawkins does. People probably don't want to emulate him.

43 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Did anyone else see the screencap of the TM map for Death Before Dishonor which shows they've sold roughly 70 tickets so far? If they want to sell the place out here's my idea: say that because he just beat Naito, White and Moxley Toru Yano will get a ROH World Title shot vs Matt Taven as the main event. 

I'd be down for that. 

I think ROH, at least for the moment should refocus around their tag division.  It’s something WWE never does (Witness Summerslam with neither set of tag titles on the show), AEW is a little lean on tag teams at the moment and Impact has a pretty small roster overall.  You could start off by the having 2 of your top guys (Lethal and Shelley,  or Lethal and Cobb if he’s coming back) teaming up to take on the Briscoes. Then you have the Bouncers, Kingdom, Villain Enterprises, C2C, GoD, Rush And Dragon Lee and you could have makeshift teams like Young and Woods.  You can move them in and out of tag title feuds, 6 man title feuds, lots of multi man tags etc etc.  like ECW would and put the World Title more into the midcard main event.  

As for the WC, I would have Scurll beat Taven for it for the big pop then have him in his first post-match promo make veiled threats about how he is going to take the title to AEW (without mentioning it by name) only for PCO to turn on him and take the title saving ROH’s honor.  Eventually I’d have Bandito take it from him in an insane garbage brawl and have him hold it for a while.

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

8 hours ago, Loki said:

I'd be down for that. 

Sign me up for Toru Yano: ROH World Champion. 

Delirious, Bully Ray, Joey Matthews, and whomever else is involved aren't going to come up with anything better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caley said:

I think ROH, at least for the moment should refocus around their tag division.  It’s something WWE never does (Witness Summerslam with neither set of tag titles on the show), AEW is a little lean on tag teams at the moment and Impact has a pretty small roster overall.  You could start off by the having 2 of your top guys (Lethal and Shelley,  or Lethal and Cobb if he’s coming back) teaming up to take on the Briscoes. Then you have the Bouncers, Kingdom, Villain Enterprises, C2C, GoD, Rush And Dragon Lee and you could have makeshift teams like Young and Woods.  You can move them in and out of tag title feuds, 6 man title feuds, lots of multi man tags etc etc.  like ECW would and put the World Title more into the midcard main event.  

As for the WC, I would have Scurll beat Taven for it for the big pop then have him in his first post-match promo make veiled threats about how he is going to take the title to AEW (without mentioning it by name) only for PCO to turn on him and take the title saving ROH’s honor.  Eventually I’d have Bandito take it from him in an insane garbage brawl and have him hold it for a while.

Not bad ideas, but some major if's in your scenario. It's just my belief, but I think PCO and Brody end up in AEW with Marty.

I also don't think AEW is thin on tag teams. Young Bucks, Lucha Bros., SCU, Dark Order, Best Friends, Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus, Jack Evans & Angelico. For a new promotion, I think that's a pretty decent tag division. 

The logical timing for Marty to win the world title was at MSG. Unfortunately, he was in the BOSJ a month later. Someone else really should have been in Marty's spot in the BOSJ, like Mark Haskins.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The logical timing for Marty to win the world title was at MSG. Unfortunately, he was in the BOSJ a month later. Someone else really should have been in Marty's spot in the BOSJ, like Mark Haskins.

I think it is an interesting point that I haven't seen brought up before. How does Best of the super juniors thing impact RoH's decision making here? Someone else could have been in his spot from RoH, but question is, does NJPW want someone else? So maybe it is a choice between no spot or Marty?

Since I also think that Marty winning, or Lethal retaining, wouldn't really have changed much in terms of ticket sales... would Marty want to be the champ for a period when business is down? Just going to BotSJ and having a decent tournament there, while everyone speaks how you should have won at MSG sounds like a "safe option". Like lets assume that Marty as champ does better business than Taven, but surely, he still would do less than what Cody and Bucks did + AEW still is all the hype. So I wonder if Marty didn't want to be the champ himself? Why risk tanking your stock if you plan to jump the ship 6 months later anyway?

Plus, assuming that Brody/PCO leave together with Marty then Brody taking with Marty in BotSJ and having that tag match against Okada on finals day was good for him as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

It was a little TL:DR, but I wholeheartedly agree that ROH should not have have been jobbing their guys non-stop to NJPW guys. It drove me nuts. I remember one match where Hirooki Goto was in the midst of what the announcers were claiming was a "massive" losing streak...how he was doubting himself after failing for the umpteenth time to become IWGP Champion. And then there he is, feeling defeated and down on himself, beating Dalton Castle who was just starting his push. WTF?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Archibald said:

I think it is an interesting point that I haven't seen brought up before. How does Best of the super juniors thing impact RoH's decision making here? Someone else could have been in his spot from RoH, but question is, does NJPW want someone else? So maybe it is a choice between no spot or Marty?

Since I also think that Marty winning, or Lethal retaining, wouldn't really have changed much in terms of ticket sales... would Marty want to be the champ for a period when business is down? Just going to BotSJ and having a decent tournament there, while everyone speaks how you should have won at MSG sounds like a "safe option". Like lets assume that Marty as champ does better business than Taven, but surely, he still would do less than what Cody and Bucks did + AEW still is all the hype. So I wonder if Marty didn't want to be the champ himself? Why risk tanking your stock if you plan to jump the ship 6 months later anyway?

Plus, assuming that Brody/PCO leave together with Marty then Brody taking with Marty in BotSJ and having that tag match against Okada on finals day was good for him as well.

I think BOSJ is the only logical reason why Marty didn't win the title. He's the most over guy in ROH and would still bring in Bullet Club/Elite fans. New Japan was my primary reason for going, but I bought my ticket before the rest of the Elite had left. Marty was the main ROH contracted talent I wanted to see. I think Marty as champion would have been a lot like EC3 being TNA/Impact champion. EC3 was putting on a lot of good work. He can only control so much. It wasn't his fault the company was sinking around him. That's how I would have seen a Marty title reign. 

I think the G1 Climax was why Jeff Cobb didn't win the title either. He doesn't get pinned to drop the tv title. Logic says he should have been undefeated winning the world title.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Haha, that wasn't me! That was just a meme ilikejason had going last year that I love the most. Some random goofball DJ losing his shit made for the perfect wrestling theme meme. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Haha, that wasn't me! That was just a meme ilikejason had going last year that I love the most. Some random goofball DJ losing his shit made for the perfect wrestling theme meme. 

Damn. Oh well, I can throw on my HDBNG CLUB shirt and LED glasses and go wild to his theme. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

32 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Absolutely.

Now, I actually really want to see ROH World Champion, Taichi.

...and I'm not just trying to butter you up for that clip of you DJ'ing to ELP's New Japan theme

While I'd love it, doesn't Taichi hate traveling to the US?  I can't see it for that reason.

6 minutes ago, alstein said:

While I'd love it, doesn't Taichi hate traveling to the US?  I can't see it for that reason.

Maybe he does, I really have no idea. Although, with New Japan running their own US shows now, it's more likely we'd see a CMLL wrestler win the title. ROH world champion, Bandido? Fuck yes. ROH world champion, RUSH? Unmotivated RUSH is still an improvement over Taven. ROH world champion, Dragon Lee? Fuck yes.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

37 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

An upgrade on Taven.

Fuck that, GIVE ME ROH WORLD CHAMPION YANO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Admit it: if the next ROH PPV was main evented by Yano challenging for the title you'd all buy it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

Fuck that, GIVE ME ROH WORLD CHAMPION YANO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Admit it: if the next ROH PPV was main evented by Yano challenging for the title you'd all buy it.

Put it right in the middle of the card, and let it be a 5 minute Yano comedy match.