DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

16 hours ago, caley said:

The new ROH tv format is such bullshit.  Clipped matches with interviews and only one match shown in full, hosted by Riccaboni and Nise Bayley?!  If this is the format going forward...hard, hard pass.

I haven't seen this, but I am a fan of this style format, and think it would work well for a company like ROH with spotty matches.  This was the ECW format, and it worked very well for them.  But that show worked well due in large part to Joey Styles.  He was the star and a fantastic narrator.  What I've seen of Riccaboni makes me think he's trying to be a cartoon of a wrestling commentator, and that's not gonna work.  What's Styles up to - bring him in and it might work.  

Looking forward to checking out this episode, but I assume the negativity is likely warranted.

EDIT: the live format has led to this horrible state of wrestling having endless entrances with cornball hand/arm gestures/poses and incredibly bad music.  I'm also probably alone on this, but I terribly miss seeing good squash matches.  Competitive but mediocre matches is mostly what I was seeing on the few ROH episodes I saw before.  It always seemed strange to me, knowing all the shows were taped, why they wouldn't try and sell the excitement of their product with clips of all the killer matches.  Or matches that might look killer by isolating the best parts of the matches.      

Edited by HarryArchieGus

37 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

What's Styles up to - bring him in and it might work.  

Last we saw him he said some pretty horrific stuff at a show a couple years ago and the backlash caused him to leave wrestling altogether.  So he's not an option.  But I do agree that it's similar to the old ECW shows which I adore (and am currently watching again)  But ECW also got away with it since they had somebody like Joey to narrate everything.  Ian and Jessie are nowhere close to Joey in this aspect

17 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I haven't seen this, but I am a fan of this style format, and think it would work well for a company like ROH with spotty matches.  This was the ECW format, and it worked very well for them.  But that show worked well due in large part to Joey Styles.  He was the star and a fantastic narrator.  What I've seen of Riccaboni makes me think he's trying to be a cartoon of a wrestling commentator, and that's not gonna work.  What's Styles up to - bring him in and it might work. 

Feels like most of these smaller promotions want to become new ECW and I'm kinda eh on that thing. I guess copying TV format is better than what Impact is doing with trying to sign every past ECW star that is still mobile.

They had lots of material to hype up their upcoming Toronto show for this episode. Next episode is bound to have more full matches because I have no idea what they'd put there unless it would be full on recap of Toronto show.

Tried to watch the 3-way this week with as little bias towards Taven as I could and whoever compared him to Justin Credible in ECW was spot on. His heat is because he doesn’t belong in the main event, which is a dangerous gimmick to have since the logical response to it is to either not watch or not take the title seriously at all (possibly from now on and that’s even worse). And yeah, nobody is coming for Taven with big offers so he’s a safe choice. ROH’s whole thing is making new stars so I can’t fault them for trying this with Taven but it’s still not working for me.

4 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Tried to watch the 3-way this week with as little bias towards Taven as I could and whoever compared him to Justin Credible in ECW was spot on. His heat is because he doesn’t belong in the main event, which is a dangerous gimmick to have since the logical response to it is to either not watch or not take the title seriously at all (possibly from now on and that’s even worse). And yeah, nobody is coming for Taven with big offers so he’s a safe choice. ROH’s whole thing is making new stars so I can’t fault them for trying this with Taven but it’s still not working for me.

Eh, I'll give this episode a shot, but not before I catch up on this week's MLW.

Yeah, Matt Taven is clearly the recipient of go away xpac-heat, and ROH oughtta pay attention and adjust.  That said, I liked the 3 way and he really isn’t horrible.  He’s a capable talent.  With the right direction he’d be a more valuable asset. I get the Credible comparison but Justin was an excellent midcard heel.  The title run was more a problem with the sudden depletion of the roster (see Sabu and Awesome defection and injury to RVD).  Corino and Jerry Lynn in the mains was equally if not worse for top of the card.  All excellent mid card talent tho.  So to Matt Taven.  

I thought this week’s show in the new format was much better.  The female cohost is the first thing that HAS to go.  Wow is she ever horrible.  Riccaboni is a cartoon but he has a good voice and could be an asset with the right direction.  Clip style is good for ROH.  Sells their streaming service and live events.  But proper editing is essential.  Jump cut the weak portions of the promos.  Cut out the Rush and whomever cornball entrances.  But I’m willing to give this time.  Also, Alex Shelley was excellent on commentary.  Cabana uh meh.  Why is. Colt a commentator?  Is he not a viable talent?  I haven’t seen him for some time, is he broken down?  I always liked his work, but commentary is not his strong suit.

To the people who always take snarky shots at Justin Credible: you know just how good he really was as a worker? I actually saw him have a great match with a physically shot and washed up Jack Victory at a house show in Danbury. That's borderline miraculous.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

To the people who always take snarky shots at Justin Credible: you know just how good he really was as a worker? I actually saw him have a great match with a physically shot and washed up Jack Victory at a house show in Danbury. That's borderline miraculous.

You know why I don't shit on Justin Credible?

Of course, the cover doesn't hold a candle to the original.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I think what people are saying is that he was pretty good but not ready to be the top guy. Not sure what's snarky about that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I think what people are saying is that he was pretty good but not ready to be the top guy. Not sure what's snarky about that.

The "Just an asshole" chant is more points for him. I also liked his short time as a member of the Carnage Crew in ROH.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

https://www.f4wonline.com/ring-honor/joe-hendry-signs-ring-honor-289696

JOE HENDRY SIGNS WITH RING OF HONOR

Joe Hendry is no longer a free agent.

Hendry announced today that he's signed with ROH. He posted a video revealing the news, with Hendry ending his promo by saying he's coming to ROH and is about to become a World Champion.

Hendry has previously wrestled on ROH shows in the United Kingdom in 2016 and 2018.

In February, Hendry announced that he was officially a free agent. He was with Impact last year and was involved in a storyline with Grado and Katarina Waters during his time in the company.

At Shug's Hoose Party 6 night one last month, Hendry's ICW career was on the line in a match that he lost to Leyton Buzzard.

Hendry is from Edinburgh, Scotland. ROH is coming to the UK in October for their Honor United tour, which has stops at York Hall in London, England (Friday, October 25), the Newport Centre in Newport, Wales (Saturday, October 26), and Bolton Whites Hotel in Bolton, England (Sunday, October 27).

• Like 1

Here's the reason I hate Matt Fucking Taven:

He looks like the kind of guy who would walk into a Sony store and ask if they carry the Xbox. Either because he's too stupid to know the difference or he thinks he's the first person to ever come up with that joke in the history of the world. That's happened to me hundereds of times over the years and at least half the time it's somebody who looks like Matt Fucking Taven. 

• Haha 6

So Joe Koff says that he wants to see if ring of Honor can do live TV tapings.   So apparently he doesn't go to the shows anymore either because anyone that looks at the crowd size and thinks that is a good idea is a fucking moron.

Other main reason they can't do live TV is because half of their shows are currently filler matches because of how weird their taping schedule.  I mean they are running a PPV right now and chances are the next 2 or 3 weeks will be barely mention this show except what a great show it was.  Can't do that with live TV

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

Summer Supercard was super fun. My ringside seats were a few away from @Robert and right behind Bobby Cruise, who was totally cool and let me take pics with some of the belts that were at the timekeepers table. Standouts for me was the surprise match with The Villain, Rush vs Dalton, the CMLL 6 man (almost like a Friday night inside Arena Mexico) and Ladder Wars was BANANA. I've met and have had fantastic experiences meeting both GoD and The Briscoes and the both fucking killed it. I actually had pretty low expectations for this card and I had a freaking amazing time.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Summer Supercard was super fun. My ringside seats were a few away from @Robert and right behind Bobby Cruise, who was totally cool and let me take pics with some of the belts that were at the timekeepers table. Standouts for me was the surprise match with The Villain, Rush vs Dalton, the CMLL 6 man (almost like a Friday night inside Arena Mexico) and Ladder Wars was BANANA. I've met and have had fantastic experiences meeting both GoD and The Briscoes and the both fucking killed it. I actually had pretty low expectations for this card and I had a freaking amazing time.

Come by Kings Drive In and say hi!!!! My God this place is awesome. Was at the Smash show and it was great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

Come by Kings Drive In and say hi!!!! My God this place is awesome. Was at the Smash show and it was great.

I actually bounced home because I have an early day tomorrow. Are you in Toronto for the whole weekend?

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

I actually bounced home because I have an early day tomorrow. Are you in Toronto for the whole weekend?

Headed to a Super 8 in Mississauga for the night, coming back to see the Wolfpack in Rugby League at 1 and then head to the Hammer to see my Ticats and are then driving straight back home after the game. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Infinit said:

Hell yeah - great meeting you!

Show was awesome. There were maybe only 2 things I didn't like but everything else was good. If they had run a smaller building (Ted Reeve) it still wouldn't have been full but would have come off way better. I gotta watch how the main event came off on video but live it was totally wild and those guys were murdering each other. Of course I'm biased so I loved the CMLL trios the most. They really hit a home run and crowd seemed very excited to see something different. They left so quick afterwards I couldn't even reach my wallet to throw some dollars! Crowd hated Taven and he is a total failure as a champ but the match with Shelley was real good. Some of those nearfalls were genius and crowd believed Shelley would win even though pre-match everyone seemed resigned to the fact Taven was retaining. The Bandido tag was real good and progressed the Gresham story.

I've said it a million times so no point going through it all over again but ROH has the pieces, they just need to use them better. With all the available talent out there in 2019 you should not be focused around The Kingdom, Shane Taylor & trying to get over a women's division built around the Angelina Love group.

• Like 3

Better show this week owing largely to a much more enjoyable main event!

Also one of my favourite little things was Dragon Lee doing that top rope double stomp in the guy caught in the tree of woe that Del Rio used to (still does?) use as a finisher and he stood on the foot of Gresham, pinning him there, before doing the stomp.  Because it’s always looked stupid that the guy just hangs there waiting to get stomped and DL took the time to do one little thing to make it more believable! Kudos Dragon Lee! Kudos!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, caley said:

Better show this week owing largely to a much more enjoyable main event!

Oh God yeah.  That main event was awesome.  More six and eight man matches, less pointless three ways,

• Like 2

On 8/6/2019 at 8:25 PM, Godfrey said:

C’mon, ha, it’s pretty clear alot of ppl absolutely hate Credible.  

I’d add to the examples of his working boots his match with a depleted Franchise, which miraculously was one of the best of that year for.ecdub (tho it’s been awhile).  I also remember him having a barn burner with PCO.  Strange one off for Oulette at the arena that I hoped would lead to more.

On 8/9/2019 at 12:55 PM, BrianS81177 said:

Here's the reason I hate Matt Fucking Taven:

He looks like the kind of guy who would walk into a Sony store and ask if they carry the Xbox. Either because he's too stupid to know the difference or he thinks he's the first person to ever come up with that joke in the history of the world. That's happened to me hundereds of times over the years and at least half the time it's somebody who looks like Matt Fucking Taven. 

100% And this should work in his favour, and likely would in the mid card.  Believable heels are not common.  

Completely agree that roh should not go live.  This clip style is, to me, a huge improvement.  They just gotta drop the completely unready sidekick.  Also, don’t clip matches down and then show full lame entrances.  

Im not surprised the Toronto card impressed.  That crowd would have been a lot more abundant had they not tried to charge $58 for general admission.  Everybody I talked to at the afternoon wxw show said they were passing because of the cost.  And that’s exactly why I walked out of the gardens prior to the show.  Maybe that sounds cheap, but I would’ve paid 30$.  Roh needs to understand supply and demand especially with the current roster. And so many shows going on this past weekend.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus