DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

On 6/12/2019 at 9:37 AM, Archibald said:

Another thing, there was some speculation about Villain Enterprise going to AEW once all their contracts expire, but what about Cobb? Is he interested in staying once his contract ends? I'm 99,9% sure that Taven is going to beat him regardless of what he decides to do, but his situation is rather interesting.

I think Rush either stays or stops wrestling in USA simply due to politics.

Speaking of guys who are leaving once their contracts are up, I did some research and Flip Gordon's Contract ends in mid 2020 and it has to be a given with Flip being backstage at DON, being in the BTE opening graphic, being just friends with Brandi. Flip is going to All Elite. I'm not personally a fan of Flip Gordon he does nothing for me but people seem to like him.

As for Cobb, I'd put the strap on him two weeks from now, he's too good not to make Champion, it's like Dalton at the end of 17 the buzz around him warrants a run IMO. 

Taven isn't a bad wrestler he has grown on me, he's come along way since wrestling in those purple bike shorts, Jay Lethal didn't wrestle himself for an hour Taven can rise to the occasion. When it comes to character even with the lizard king conspiracy act it all comes off as second rate and indie wrestling, Taven to me doesn't have the look on a World Champion, like him holding the top championship kind of knocks your promotion down a peg. Cobb on the other hand has the amateur background, the look, he's good on the mic (Taven is too) and has a credibility with the fans. For example look at these videos ROH has posted to promote the Title Match. They are positioning intentional or not, Cobb as the mega face champion.

As for Rush, Cobb should hold the title BITW to Final Battle with Rush being the man to beat him. IDK where Cobb goes after his contract expires as you know WWE is gonna be looking at him, but ROH should definitely pull the trigger and run with a guy while they have him. It seems to be the ROH booking weakness of not wanted to invest too much in someone whose only gonna be a round for a year or so I can see the argument in that but start building a mid card guy up to take that person's place once they leave. Whats Tracy Williams doing? Why is he not being groomed for a top spot? Smae with the War Machine win from Coast to Coast. Why didn't they ride that into a gradual rise to the top of the tag division as the Briscoes dominated as tag champs for a year with C2C dethroning the Briscoes at Marchs Anniversary show. I digress, put the belt on Cobb.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone wants to tie themselves to ROH long term right now if they don't have to.   MLW and AEW are clearly better options.   I feel bad for Lethal, but he'd get a good deal somewhere if ROH went under.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

If the only way you follow Rush is through Ring of Honor and even his brief time in MLW,  I would think the majority of people would find him rather overrated.  I can't think of anything big he has done in ROH except maybe a solid match against Bandido.   Maybe once he gets to main event champion level we will see the CMLL version of him

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

If the only way you follow Rush is through Ring of Honor and even his brief time in MLW,  I would think the majority of people would find him rather overrated.  I can't think of anything big he has done in ROH except maybe a solid match against Bandido.   Maybe once he gets to main event champion level we will see the CMLL version of him

The CMLL version of him is honestly pretty mediocre too. He coasts on charisma, looks, and potential alone. Which isn’t bad really, but guys with similar talents had a few great matches in their back pockets before they were aloud to relax on all three. His brothers have all the in ring talents in CMLL. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I honestly doubt that any of Rush's fans follow him to see great matches. I remember during one of the Naito's visits to Mexico someone described their trios match not as a match, but as "an experience". And I think that describes him very well.

Yeah, I mean, if you don't like brawls, that's one thing, but for me when he's on he can be really special. I love Dragon Lee to death, but among his brothers I'd take Rush over Mistico for sure.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 10:32 AM, Web Conn said:

Taven isn't a bad wrestler 

No, he's a terrible one. As for Cobb, at the tapings I went to, Cobb was by FAR the most over guy of the night. 

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

No, he's a terrible one. As for Cobb, at the tapings I went to, Cobb was by FAR the most over guy of the night. 

In Kent right?

Ive seen Cobb live at a couple of Defy shows and the dude is really good, he can get a crowd behind him.

I’m still full put the belt on Cobb but it was brought up on another board but Cobb is most liking gonna be in the G1 and might have something like a 4-5 record and ROH may not like their Champion missing dates being in a tournament he more than likely will do just ok in.

Yeah Kent. Lethal and Castle were both pretty over too but the crowd was into Cobb big time. i'm sure his time from the early days of Defy helped (I saw several Defy shirts there)

I saw several Defy shirts at DON actually. Defy is hip dude. It’s funny my teenage years I dreamed for Seattle to have an indie scene, now with Defy and 3-2-1 Battle Seattle has an indie scene and I don’t live in the state anymore. I would have been at that TV Tapings had I been in town.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:08 AM, Archibald said:

Cobb was announced for G1 so we probably can take that as a confirmation that Taven is retaining.

Hopefully, we at least see Shane Taylor drop the tv title to Bandido.

On 6/15/2019 at 7:45 AM, Archibald said:

This was mentioned in Puro thread, but Voices of wrestling are reporting that Juice is done with RoH because he, and NJPW in general, don't like how they are treated there. I figure it is about time to get some popcorns.

ROH is screwed if New Japan decides to cut ties with them. They better start seeking out the best of the indies everywhere before they get scooped up, and find someone more capable of booking than a combination of Bully Ray and Delirious.

• Like 1

Jonathan Gresham has agreed to stay with ROH signing a new deal.

He is moving to Baltimore and is going to be heavily involved in working with the ROH Dojo

(It also explains Jordynne Grace's post a few days ago about moving to Baltimore)

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Jonathan Gresham has agreed to stay with ROH signing a new deal.

He is moving to Baltimore and is going to be heavily involved in working with the ROH Dojo

(It also explains Jordynne Grace's post a few days ago about moving to Baltimore)

I would be thrilled if I end up running into them somewhere.  Baltimore's not a small town but stranger things have happened.

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dunno if this has been mentioned before but whenever I try to watch ROH recently, DirecTV has a screen up saying, basically, they have beef with Sinclair for some unknown reason and that's why you can't watch "this channel's programming". WTF?

Odd, I have DirecTV and although ROH is generally background noise for me when I watch I definitely don't recall seeing anything like that on this weekend's TV.

On 6/18/2019 at 10:18 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Dunno if this has been mentioned before but whenever I try to watch ROH recently, DirecTV has a screen up saying, basically, they have beef with Sinclair for some unknown reason and that's why you can't watch "this channel's programming". WTF?

These sorts of disputes with local TV stations are common.  It's the local TV station and DirecTV arguing on how much the local TV station should be paid.

This is second hands information, but supposedly WON wrote that Juice is moving to Japan and he is upset about those reports that he doesn't like working in RoH. Which begs the question, is Juice a stand up guy and didn't want such information to spread? Or did someone make that thing up? I think both options are plausible, unless I'm missing something here.