DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

4 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

There were these two drunk canadian assholes next to me that kept yelling all kinds of vulgar shit (sayingbDalton Castle sucks dick, yelling about the size of Mandy Leon's breasts, yelling that the 2 guys in the Kingdom were "f@&$" for each other, etc). Sitting right next to them on the other side? A girl who appeared to be no more than 12. I'd have been OK with them getting slapped around a bit. Thankfully they left early because "Oh, we've got a long drive back to Vancouver, eh". So yeah, they drove back to Canada despite having each consumed at least 4 beers each. 

Side note: that 12 year old lost her mind when Flip Gordon came out. It was awesome. 

Reminds me of one of the first times I went to a local indie show with my 12 year old brother and a girl was walking around collecting money for 50/50 tickets before the show and some guy in the front row went “No! I just want you to shut up and show me your puppies!” and my 12 year old brother put his head in his hands and went “I’m so embarrassed on behalf of everyone here”.

Another time, they brought in some guy from Mexico who was talking about what a nice city we have as various people shouted “Go back to Mexico!” and “Run for the border!” at which point they seemed to call an audible and had him cut a heel generic heel promo as one of the faces came out and ran down Mexico to big cheers  

My point being, we Canadians can just as awful as any crowds on the planet!

Edited by caley

I've had a heel valet yell "shut up" right in my face once, that's about it. I mean, not at the crowd but at me. But it was clearly her being a heel, and I had just cheered for the other guy, you know?

(And not really related, but Kevin Smith flipped me off and said fuck you to me from the stage at The Red State screening. That was cool)

12 hours ago, caley said:

Reminds me of one of the first times I went to a local indie show with my 12 year old brother and a girl was walking around collecting money for 50/50 tickets before the show and some guy in the front row went “No! I just want you to shut up and show me your puppies!” and my 12 year old brother put his head in his hands and went “I’m so embarrassed on behalf of everyone here”.

Another time, they brought in some guy from Mexico who was talking about what a nice city we have as various people shouted “Go back to Mexico!” and “Run for the border!” at which point they seemed to call an audible and had him cut a heel generic heel promo as one of the faces came out and ran down Mexico to big cheers  

My point being, we Canadians can just as awful as any crowds on the planet!

Your brother is awesome.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Your brother is awesome.

Thanks.  Unsurprisingly he grew up to be a great guy who works for a non-profit helping homeless people with mental health issues.  

• Like 8

Ring of Honor issued the following this afternoon:

Ring of Honor prides itself on providing a fun and entertaining environment for both our fans and wrestlers to experience professional wrestling at the highest level.

Fans are encouraged to cheer, boo, and chant during the show while wrestlers interact both positively and in rivalry, as that is the engagement that makes the ROH experience what it is. Wrestlers interacting with fans is core to the experience, however, under no circumstance should any of our athletes or staff confront or engage fans outside the bounds of this entertainment experience or outside the bounds of the area that hosts this experience. We hold all of our athletes and staff members to the highest standards and, because of the actions over the weekend, we fell short of meeting those standards.

We are still in the process of investigating this matter as well as reviewing and assessing internal security protocols to ensure a safe environment for all fans and athletes. All of our athletes and staff will also be trained and reminded of our policies and protocols for fan interaction and appropriate behavior in all situations. 

To our amazing and wonderful fans, we apologize for the matter that transpired this past weekend as it does not reflect who we are as an organization or how we hope to engage with our fans.  ROH fans are known worldwide for their passion, admiration, and appreciation for our athletes, and we share this same admiration and appreciation for our fans.  We encourage all of our fans to continue attending our events and supporting our amazing athletes in a respectful manner as they have done in the past, and we promise to continue delivering what the fans deserve - the best wrestling and the best fan experience on the planet.

I was flipping through the channels last night and I wound up on Evil and Sananda vs Nagata and Kojima from ROH TV. It was a fun match. It was cool to see a straight up tag match on TV. Nagata is a fav of mine. Grizzled Vet Nagata trying to cave his opponents chests in with his kicks is the best.

• Like 2

Wrestlers interacting with fans is core to the experience, however, under no circumstance should any of our athletes or staff confront or engage fans outside the bounds of this entertainment experience or outside the bounds of the area that hosts this experience. 

That could be read as covering a lot of ground.

Obviously the weak tea statement means nothing, but the way that's phrased is deeply amusing. 

On 6/5/2019 at 10:00 AM, Infinit said:

At the last show ROH, Tama Tonga complimented me on a ring I was wearing and too sweeted me ?

"Good Guy" Tama Tonga.

Bully should change his gimmick to Buddy Ray.  Guy that goes around giving unsolicited friendly advice to people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ace said:

So pleased to live in an area that ROH doesn't even attempt to go to anymore. They did a couple of the mid '00 Wrestlecons and that's it.

Judging by how poorly they did attendance wise at the show I went to (MAYBE 500 people in an arena that, even with half blocked off, seats a couple thousand) I doubt they'll be coming back to my neck of the woods either. 

4 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I was flipping through the channels last night and I wound up on Evil and Sananda vs Nagata and Kojima from ROH TV. It was a fun match. It was cool to see a straight up tag match on TV. Nagata is a fav of mine. Grizzled Vet Nagata trying to cave his opponents chests in with his kicks is the best.

Same thing happened to me. Aside from the kicks they were working pretty loose though, and poor Yuji is s-l-o-w nowadays.

It’s easy (and appropriate) to shit on Bully Ray right now but that was amazing on ROH Tv this week when Haskins and the crowd told him to retire and he said he tried to but they all chanted “Please don’t go!”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t enjoy stern talkings to and wrist slapping. 

I enjoy stern talkings and ass slapping...for a few hundred bucks.

I debated this one, but it's the ROH thread. I don't think many people read this thread anymore.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, caley said:

It’s easy (and appropriate) to shit on Bully Ray right now but that was amazing on ROH Tv this week when Haskins and the crowd told him to retire and he said he tried to but they all chanted “Please don’t go!”

I actually enjoy majority of his segments. I wouldn't mind him at all if there wasn't so much baggage surrounding him.

I've got two gripes with Bully Ray.

1. His vision for ROH is essentially turning it into the bastard child of ECW and TNA.

2. He loses the big "I Quit" match against Flip Gordon at Final Battle. That should have been his comeuppance. Rather than disappearing for a while and returning later with a slight gimmick twist or not returning at all, he returns in short order doing the exact same thing. Hell, Shane Taylor is practically D-Von now. Why do the Sons of Savagery have to be lumped in with Bully and Shane Taylor? Their attack on Lifeblood was fine, but they should have attacked Buh Buh and D-Von #2 as well.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Can't disagree with that, thou we can't be sure what exact booking decisions are his and whats coming from other places. Like that SoS thing, did he want to have them under his wing or did someone else decide to add them to his group so that they'd have clear place from the start?

Another thing, there was some speculation about Villain Enterprise going to AEW once all their contracts expire, but what about Cobb? Is he interested in staying once his contract ends? I'm 99,9% sure that Taven is going to beat him regardless of what he decides to do, but his situation is rather interesting.

I think Rush either stays or stops wrestling in USA simply due to politics.

Booking aside I like Bully in that he’s a heel in ROH that’s not going to get cheered (Well except this week when the crowds desire for tables outweighed their appreciation for Lifeblood’s least popular members and PJ Black) and he should do well in the gatekeeper role of heel who beats down and badmouths young face helping young face get over in the end (In theory I think the AEW thing and Flips injury really sent the booking for a loop).