DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

I wonder at what point they realize that having Enzo/Cass plus all the other recent shit was a really, really, really bad idea.  If it doesn't sink in for them now then boy are they fucked.

So my earlier prediction about Flip and Lifeblood was pretty much correct I'd say, they are just going to drag it out till their next tour. As for Enzo/Cass, I find it unlikely that their stunt had any negative impact on ticket sales.

Whomever thought it was a good idea to put Matt Taven on live commentary during Villain Enterprises vs. Kojima/Nagata/Cobb was sadly mistaken. The art of improv is a skill he doesn't possess. It was bad hearing him use melvins about 36 times while fumbling for other things to say. The reasons I see for Taven winning the title was because Marty seems to be on his way out and there was nothing left for Jay Lethal as champion. I also don't think there is much demand for Taven outside ROH. 

I think ROH has kind of underplayed/undercut the guys people wanted their see (Scurll etc) And overpushed the guys who are loyal and not going anywhere (Taven, Lethal etc.).  This way guys who are probably/possibly leaving don’t use ROH as a springboard for somewhere else but at the same time people lose interest when they know that someone they like isn’t going over because of that.  So while trying to protect their company they’re also hurting their own company.  

War of the Worlds was a pretty fun show!

Highlights:

Meeting Mark Briscoe before the show at the bbq joint across the street.

Getting a too sweet and a compliment on my jewelry from Tama Tonga

Getting to see Yuji Nagata live and him doing the Eddy chair fakeout to win by dq.

Getting to do the "Ichauzo Bakayaro" with Kojima after he did his running elbow.

Got a few extended on camera shots that will hopefully end up on New Japan World.

The PCO spectacle was fucking fun. God bless the crazy bastard.

That's off the top of my head.

Oh...and ROH is back in Toronto on the Friday of Summerslam weekend! Will the G1 be over by then??

And I have a bunch of vids in my insta stories.

• Like 2

To me it was a one match show (PCO vs. Taven), but that one match was a real good time.  Was sitting next to the entranceway so I got to slap hands with/yell at everyone.

Apparently I was sitting right near Tracy Williams' mother and brother.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, caley said:

I think ROH has kind of underplayed/undercut the guys people wanted their see (Scurll etc) And overpushed the guys who are loyal and not going anywhere (Taven, Lethal etc.).  This way guys who are probably/possibly leaving don’t use ROH as a springboard for somewhere else but at the same time people lose interest when they know that someone they like isn’t going over because of that.  So while trying to protect their company they’re also hurting their own company.  

Marty is very clearly gone as soon as his contract is up. Putting the world title on him would have been a bad idea, because everyone knows he is a lame duck.

Tavn sucks, Lethal is beyond stale. They need to build someone up to become a worthy world champion.

Okay I am confused by this.  Is PCO doing a drive to completely nothing because he is that crazy?   Maybe it is in his contract that he has to take at least one crazy bump to the floor.  Although I believe he did at least 2 or 3 in the Taven match

16 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Okay I am confused by this.  Is PCO doing a drive to completely nothing because he is that crazy?

Yeah.  There was no other context to explain that, at least not to anyone who was there live.  I think it was just supposed to be "undead non-human monsters get a little confused sometimes".

18 hours ago, caley said:

Marty is trios champ and gets strong booking. I don't think that it is possible to give him better booking considering that he'll be gone in few months. But fans don't see it, they want him to win everything anyway. And then what? Dump the RoH belt into trash can when he eventually goes to AEW?

Anyway, main event from Toronto was crazy, but I think I would have preferred if Taven got stronger win here. Will be interesting to see who they got next for him. Maybe Tracy wins tomorrow and challenges during TV tapings, while Cobb does for the next PPV? Lethal will probably be occupied with King and they are clearly going to do another Rush/Dalton match before Rush goes for title challenge.

Speaking about Marty:

The Elite were pretty much mailing it in after All In and did nothing interesting in RoH. Marty meanwhile is putting some serious work into Villain Enterprise and is going to even expand it. Weird part I find here is that Villain Enterprise doesn't really make sense without Marty so... are Brody, PCO and new member going to leave RoH together with Marty? Why would RoH allow that and give them such strong booking? And you know, it is Marty's idea so he is developing it, but recruiting more people also sounds pointless considering that he'd have to start from scratch after few months. I hope this is not another case of someone playing RoH and eventually leaving them dry.

Anyway, while watching I remembered reading some time ago that Maria Manic is expected to sign with RoH. I haven't seen much of her, but her gimmick probably would fit the pattern of Brody and PCO.

Also from looking at ROH twitter they are bringing back a newer version of Veda Scott with Quinn McKay as this wrestler turned geeky but actually attractive backstage reporter.   Already have her set up against Allure.   

Hey she can't be any worse that that goof "investigative reporter" that IMPACT has now or did as of a month and half (so behind on the product)

31 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Also from looking at ROH twitter they are bringing back a newer version of Veda Scott with Quinn McKay as this wrestler turned geeky but actually attractive backstage reporter.   Already have her set up against Allure.   

Hey she can't be any worse that that goof "investigative reporter" that IMPACT has now or did as of a month and half (so behind on the product)

Well it's not hard to be a better wrestler than Veda (and I say this as a fan of hers)

11 hours ago, Dewar said:

Marty is very clearly gone as soon as his contract is up. Putting the world title on him would have been a bad idea, because everyone knows he is a lame duck.

Tavn sucks, Lethal is beyond stale. They need to build someone up to become a worthy world champion.

Right now, I'd say the best candidates would be Jeff Cobb, Rush, and Bandido.

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Right now, I'd say the best candidates would be Jeff Cobb, Rush, and Bandido.

Of the three I would pick Cobb.   But I'd still be cool with either of them and would like to see all three have various title matches.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

Cobb is really talented, but he strikes me as more of a Cesaro type.  Lacks the top guy presence.  If I was a booker, I’d put him under a mask, because he kinda had it as Matanza.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Yeah.  There was no other context to explain that, at least not to anyone who was there live.  I think it was just supposed to be "undead non-human monsters get a little confused sometimes".

He short-circuited.

31 minutes ago, EVA said:

Cobb is really talented, but he strikes me as more of a Cesaro type.  Lacks the top guy presence.  If I was a booker, I’d put him under a mask, because he kinda had it as Matanza.

Cobb beating Taven would remind me a lot of Samoa Joe beating Xavier. I think Cobb has the potential to grow into being a top guy. Joe had the aura of being a bad motherfucker pretty early, but it definitely increased as his reign went on. You can somewhat see it in Cobb, but it feels like he holds back. Granted, he didn't fare well in the 2004 Olympics, but he was still in the Olympics. With his power, agility, and amateur background, he should be carrying himself like he's the baddest motherfucker on the planet. 

• Like 1

Cobb is a solid guy that produces solid matches, but as @EVA said he lacks presence. I doubt that big win over Taven would get him to the next level, what he needs I think is a good opponent that would bring it from him. A rival of sorts. Kinda what they are now doing with Rush/Dalton and Taven/Lethal that probably will eventually lead to Taven/Rush.

Randomly thinking I wouldn't mind it if Marty on his way out had a feud with Cobb and put him over strong, I think that would help him a lot. Another option could be crazy series of matches between Cobb and PCO that eventually leads to Cobb getting crazy and becoming Matanza-like. But I feel that if Marty bails and Villain Enterprise collapses that might be Brody/PCO to continue from their MLW days. Basically I think that Marty is leaving and PCO is not long for this world so one of them probably should be used to elevate Cobb before he wins the top title.