DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

4 hours ago, Archibald said:

Wow...I remember that dude Gery Roif when he posted at Wrestlingclassics back in the day. Pretty cool that he started a promotion.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I initially thought that would happen before reading they were done. If they are in fact done, is it possible New Japan had something to do with that? I'm sure ROH couldn't have been thrilled with Tama Tonga throwing his belt and basically saying it doesn't mean shit.

I don't know, wouldn't surprise me if "RoH got cold feet" is part of the shoot-work-angle thing that is going on with them.

• Like 1

Is this the worst era of ROH? I was thinking about that when I was explaining the breaks I've taken from wrestling. Much of the stories in RoH haven't done much for me in a long time i outside of some stuff with the Hardys, the Cody vs Omega feud, and Lethal getting his head shaved, but all of this feels like it was forever ago now.

I mean, Xavier as champion really sucked, but at least then they had an ultra talented roster. The booking has felt really lazy and plain bad for awhile now and this shit with Enzo and Cass makes me want to not watch even more.

29 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Is this the worst era of ROH? I was thinking about that when I was explaining the breaks I've taken from wrestling. Much of the stories in RoH haven't done much for me in a long time i outside of some stuff with the Hardys, the Cody vs Omega feud, and Lethal getting his head shaved, but all of this feels like it was forever ago now.

I mean, Xavier as champion really sucked, but at least then they had an ultra talented roster. The booking has felt really lazy and plain bad for awhile now and this shit with Enzo and Cass makes me want to not watch even more.

I think the talent is still there, albeit not as good as it was during the Gabe days. I think Gabe was better at scouting guys that would go on to become big, while this era of ROH waits for guys to shell out money for their tryout camps. The Delirious regime has been too reliant on bringing already established talent and the New Japan partnership. Another issue with Delirious is character development being mostly non-existent. If what we've seen with Enzo & Cass and Allure is what to expect from Bully Ray and Joey Matthews, I'm not optimistic about them being involved in creative. 

Does that still make it the worst era? I don't think so. Adam Pearce's booking is what drove me away in the first place. The changes were so drastic and it basically happened overnight. All of a sudden, there were squash matches on shows. Certain markets got stuck with B-shows. Pearce killed New Jersey as a market for ROH with some terrible Edison shows. All of a sudden there were count-outs and DQ's. He gave away Brodie Lee vs. Necro Butcher on his first show, and it ended in a double count-out or double DQ, then the angle was just dropped. Brodie Lee was barely used. He brought in some awful talent. All of a sudden Dave Prazak became a heel color man. There was Jerry Lynn's world title run to try to capitalize on The Wrestler. They waited way too long to put the title on Tyler Black, then he decides to leave not long after winning the title.They stopped using Jimmy Jacobs and Austin Aries. Danielson and Nigel left. I'll take the current regime over the Adam Pearce era. That was truly terrible.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

I find current RoH TV easier to watch than I did in last couple of years. Bucks would deliver on PPVs, but other than that I found them painful to watch on TV. It also didn't help that main faction would get most of their development either on their Youtube channel or in NJPW/All In. It got especially bad after All In when it felt like they had nothing till they all lost on Final Battle and left.

And you can blame Delirious for that, sure. Or The Elite if you want. But my point isn't really that. Regardless of who was responsible it didn't really work and, long term, I think it is good for both RoH and The Elite that they parted ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

I dunno... faction wars era ROH was pretty painful to watch

James

I would gladly go back to that or anything Gabe did over Adam Pearce, Jim Cornette, and most of Delirious.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 10:06 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It would certainly be a lot better than Matt Fucking Taven. You have trouble sleeping? Matt Taven will cure that. Don't even get me started on Marseglia and O'Ryan. 

AMEN. Taven does absolutely nothing for me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caley said:

I missed this.  What was it?

Bully Ray standing over a laid out Tenille and a broken table. He says something to her to the effect of "Tell Lifeblood why you won't be around for a while".

1 hour ago, caley said:

I missed this.  What was it?

Spoiler

After the Main Event they cut to backstage with Tenille laying on the ground unconscious clearing have been put thru a Table with Bully over her cutting a promo. 

16 minutes ago, caley said:

Thanks.  I went back and watched it.  Seems like it would’ve been a better spot for a WOH heel (Alllure? Twisted Sisters?) to put them over to me?! 

Keep in mind that ROH is booked by Delirious and now Bully Ray seemingly having input. Logic and what should be done is the opposite of what we're going to get.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That would be when it's time to close up shop.

I'd be willing to go into Bully Ray as champ with an open mind. He was fun as TNA champ. Granted, that was 2013 but he could have a short reign and be used to build up a babyface to bring honor back to the title. Maybe Flip? I don't know that he's ready yet but throw the weight of the company behind him and push him hard for six months (or longer) while Bully holds the title hostage. Flip dethrones him and the ROH fans go nuts. 

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Bully Ray standing over a laid out Tenille and a broken table. He says something to her to the effect of "Tell Lifeblood why you won't be around for a while".

He said something about people wondering who did "it" for six months. What was he talking about?

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I'd be willing to go into Bully Ray as champ with an open mind. He was fun as TNA champ. Granted, that was 2013 but he could have a short reign and be used to build up a babyface to bring honor back to the title. Maybe Flip? I don't know that he's ready yet but throw the weight of the company behind him and push him hard for six months (or longer) while Bully holds the title hostage. Flip dethrones him and the ROH fans go nuts. 

He said something about people wondering who did "it" for six months. What was he talking about?

At the Death Before Dishonor PPV a mystery attacker jump Tenille backstage and we saw her laying on the ground. Commentary wondered who attacked her and when she did commentary she was still trying to solve the mystery of who it was briefly then go back to calling the match. 

• Like 1

All in all, the Toronto show is shaping up to be pretty good

PCO vs Taven for ROH title

Kojima vs Lethal

Brody vs Goto vs Taylor vs Cobb 4 corners, non title

Briscoes vs Haskins/Williams 

Silas vs Nagata

And probably

Sanada/Evil vs Kingdom

Rush vs PJ Black

GoD + Hikuleo vs LA Dojo 

• Like 1