DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

If Bubba's got power, the Beautiful People showing up shouldn't be a surprise, considering he is (or was, I dunno) dating Velvet Sky.

If he's actually getting the book, we'll soon see if he has any good or original ideas. If his big plan is to have a heel authority figure, we'll know he doesn't. If he signs Dixie Carter to be the heel authority figure, we'll know he's an idiot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Archibald said:

I don't get it, look at RoH TV and look at their MSG stuff, to me it looks fairly obvious that more money/effort went into MSG even if they ended up doing many mistakes.

Pretty much. Hot takes about RoH shitting up the show had started already when card was announced.

If they really did put more money or effort into it, it didn't look like much. The reason I say this is that I've seen a lot of shit broadcast from MSG whether it's UFC, standup comedy, or other stuff. It's all shot to make the place look huge. Great lighting and photography, using cranes, properly setting up sound, etc. I watched that G1 Supercard and it made MSG look really small and insignificant. UFC doesn't even use a stage and that place looks great on TV. ROH/NJPW used a stage and it just looked...not great. The lighting wasn't good and a lot of the shots had a, I'm not sure how to describe it...I almost want to say that there was a haziness to the shots, but that's not the right way to describe it. It just didn't look really sharp. 

This weeks ROH TV was pretty great.  Silas lighting up a smoke and ashing it on Gresham was amazing.  

The Voros Twins were really irritating and watching them get squashed was amazing.  Caprices line about their pants making the Voros’ aerodynamic actually got a legit LOL out of me.   

The main was pretty fun albeit a little long

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Archibald said:

KK sent her "team" away and shook hands with Mayu so I think that it was clearly a face turn for her.

She also did a promo last week that was more face-y about overcoming Mayu.  

I don’t get making her a face (Other than someone in power somewhere has a big time interest in her being a big star/building the division around her).  It would make more sense to me to make Allure heel champs who cheat to win and feud with Jenny Rose as she’s a more sympathetic counter to evil bratty pretty heels and have Klein step aside and feud with Sakai or something 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caley said:

This weeks ROH TV was pretty great.  Silas lighting up a smoke and ashing it on Gresham was amazing.  

The Voros Twins were really irritating and watching them get squashed was amazing.  Caprices line about their pants making the Voros’ aerodynamic actually got a legit LOL out of me.   

The main was pretty fun albeit a little long

I went to try to watch it on Fite TV, but you get the G1 when you click on the episode. Maybe I'll watch the G1 again to get the at home POV in addition to having been there. 

Anyone else that wants to watch it free, now's your chance before Fite TV fixes the glitch.

Here is bunch of thoughts regarding current direction of RoH:

1. Lifeblood formed in order to restore "honour" to RoH since Bully and his friends were running amok.

2. But asides of Bully I think that most people actually like (or at lest don't mind) Briscoes, Shane and Silas despite them being heels. So this thing can't really work long term.

3. So enter people like Enzo and Cass who probably will not only play dirty, but they'll be likely hated by the audience because they aren't very good at that wrestling thing. Or at lesat hardcore audience if miracle happens and Enzo/Cass actually manage to attract new people.

4. It looks like Allure will also have similar purpose. While KK and Twisted Sisters were heels it was still mostly normal wrestling matches without too many stupid things happening. So here comes Allure that are blatant cheaters and none of them can wrestle. RoH commentator kinda drilled that point home during their attack that this wasn't what WoH was supposed to be or something like that so I think that will become focus of WoH division for next few months.

5. So in that context they turned KK face because she is probably going to defend "the idea of WoH". I don't really like her, but if you are positioning her as your champ and you are trying to run a story about what WoH is and isn't then I think it makes perfect sense to make her a main player in that storyline. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised that with Tenille leaving KK won't get her spot in Lifeblood because these things kinda work into each other.

So overall I wouldn't be surprised that if at some point we will get midcard heel stable with Bully, Enzo, Cass, Allure and maybe someone like Kenny King since lots of people are bitching about him winning Rumble.

14 hours ago, Archibald said:

4. It looks like Allure will also have similar purpose. While KK and Twisted Sisters were heels it was still mostly normal wrestling matches without too many stupid things happening. So here comes Allure that are blatant cheaters and none of them can wrestle. RoH commentator kinda drilled that point home during their attack that this wasn't what WoH was supposed to be or something like that so I think that will become focus of WoH division for next few months.

5. So in that context they turned KK face because she is probably going to defend "the idea of WoH". I don't really like her, but if you are positioning her as your champ and you are trying to run a story about what WoH is and isn't then I think it makes perfect sense to make her a main player in that storyline. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised that with Tenille leaving KK won't get her spot in Lifeblood because these things kinda work into each other.

Completely logical projection, but the thing is KK has been a blatant cheater in the past. She got through the WOH tournament by cheating and being dishonorable. Mandy made her tap, but it was on the refs blind side and Klein took advantage. To tell the story that KK turned a new leaf and is now about honor is kinda insulting. 

• Like 1

The ROH TV before G1 did plant the seeds for a face turn for Klein she did mention she was revaluing her values going in the match with Mayu, she wanted to face Mayu all on her own by sending her entourage to the back and wanted the handshake with Mayu after the match. 

nZo and CazXL will be the two fuckheads' names in ROH.  They will be collectively known as The Free AgentZ.  

Spoiler

giphy.gif

MSG Security was told about the angle. Tonga & Loa were not. No one from NJPW were told. ROH wanted it to look as real as possible so they worked it very stiff.   

Of course, ROH forgot that as soon as fans saw MSG Security doing nothing, everyone knew it was an angle.   

And if you haven't seen, the first 3 seconds of this will show you what the RoH Tag Team Champions think of their titles:

• Haha 2

Tama Tonga is a treasure. I wish in ring he was half as good as his personality is, but I still like the guy.

Real smart booking too. This is like NWA booking Shane Douglas to win the NWA title only for Shane to throw it in the trash and bury the company.

• Like 1

So wait they can't call themselves the Free Agents they have to put a stupid Z at the end.   Not like "kids these days" are doing that shit

Also nothing says ROH under Delrious more than not telling the people who can literally beat the shit.  Part of me hopes that Tonga and Loa went after everyone in the back before finding out  for taking it easy on those goofs.   Also a part of me hopes that they told Enzo and Cass that everyone did know and now be scared shitless of them.

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

Tanga and Loa were busy doing the NJPW angle of Yano stealing the belts, then on their way out of the ring, they finally noticed what was going on and stared at it, I suppose realizing that if security wasn't beating on those goofs, it was an angle so they just left it alone.  

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Also nothing says ROH under Delrious more than not telling the people who can literally beat the shit out both of them without knowing what is happening.  Part of me hopes that Tonga and Loa went after everyone in the back before finding out  for taking it easy on those goofs

You will be disappointed

In this one, after the match, Mark Briscoe started swinging wildly with a fan out of the crowd, which turned out to be the former Enzo Amore. Amore was sitting with the former Big Cass, at ringside, surrounded by some planted fans and kept disguised. The idea was to make this look like it wasn’t part of the show. Those at ringside could immediately tell it was planned because security did nothing. Security was alerted ahead of time that an angle was being planned and to let it happen but weren’t told exactly what it is. The punches being thrown were really stiff because they wanted fans at ringside to think it was real. The idea was to fool everyone but as it turned out, while some fans were, most saw through it. They went so far as to keep this a secret from almost everyone. Tonga & Loa, who had just won, were not told, nor was anyone from the New Japan side told. They saw it, looked like they were mildly disgusted by it, didn’t fall for it and just walked away. Multiple sources have confirmed nobody in New Japan was told about it ahead of time. Tonga even tweeted sort of about it, just saying Enzo & Cass jumped the losers of the match not the winner and called it “ROH booking at its finest.” A number of people complained that this angle being booked at this time took away from the impact of the double title change.

The two will use the names nZo and CazXL and their tag team name will be the Free AgentZ.

A big brawl ensued, none of which was shown to the streaming/PPV audience with the idea of presenting it like it wasn’t supposed to happen. In addition, they sent Bully Ray out there with the idea that he’s a big tough guy and would be the guy who would handle things for ROH if it was a real fight. Security when it was over got Enzo & Cass out. The key thing is they weren’t handcuffed or kicked out. Cass looked very out of shape, and was blown up with bloodshot eyes. He may have gotten hurt because the punches being thrown were very real because they wanted the ringsiders to believe it was a fight and he got several potatoes from the Briscoes.

The cameras pulled back and wouldn’t show any of it. The commotion continued while the focus was on the announcers killing time, and ignoring it but not ignoring it, noting how some guys were looking for publicity but they weren’t even getting on television.

Regarding this situation, while it was most definitely an angle, and will play out, the two at press time had not signed contracts with ROH and have no future dates confirmed, although obviously they’re expected to appear. Withing the company, them being there was an issue that not everyone was on the same page on. Aspects of it remind me of Bully Ray’s retirement angle, which was largely his own angle. That isn’t to say this is his, but the idea of not shooting it to make it feel real, the real punches in the brawl, do come from the 90s Paul Heyman ECW mentality.

33 minutes ago, Archibald said:

I like that Delirious is blamed for Bully's ideas. I imagine that if he'll get fired then few years later people will still complain about his booking being bad and ruining RoH.

Well, then allow me to be the first here to say that Bully needs to leave that position as well.  He can be a wrestler and do whatever but if he has ideas like this then he has no business calling the shots.

• Like 3

But he's bringing back the unpredictability of ECW, and that was like, the greatest promotion that could never do any wrong and will never die.. or something like that.

If there were fan plants sitting alongside Enzo and Cass, you would think that they would've had someone take some good cell phone footage of the whole situation so it could've been "leaked" without it being ROH footage. But that makes too much sense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hide contents

giphy.gif

MSG Security was told about the angle. Tonga & Loa were not. No one from NJPW were told. 

Jesus. If that is true that is some "WCW not telling AJPW about the Clash of the Champions six-man tag with Tenryu" idiocy, and equally worthy of cutting ties.

Seriously, when you present a match that was as awesome as Naito/Ibushi was, and give Okada another checkmark in the "greatest of all time" achievement list, but all anyone can talk about a week later is how much Ring of Honor shit the bed, it's time to get another dance partner. 

• Like 2

Okay - god and my memory is shit but I think it is something like this

Animal beat Dusty in a singles match and was awarded the 6 man titles (I think Dusty was about to quit/be fired)

The Road Warriors picked Tenryu to be their partner as champions

The problem was NWA/WCW didn't talk to Giant Baba first and Baba was promoting a match in Japan that was the Road Warriors vs. Tenryu and someone (This is the part I might be messing up a little bit)

Baba basically had to apologize to the Japanese fans for not being able to run a match he advertised and that pretty much torpedoed the work relationship

The titles whre then vacated and Tenryu went back to All Japan

Mildly disgusted?  Tama Tonga was pointing and laughing at them on his way to the back.

Were they there the whole show?  That one dude's 7-feet tall.  You can't disguise that.

Bully being the only one to hit the ring made it look like a work more than anything.  He came out so fast out of the stage like he was just waiting at the go position for his cue.  At least send out the rest of the Who's That of professional wrestling from the ROH side of the Honor Rumble too.  And then he exited back through the stage so everyone could see him instead of off to the side like everyone else.

• Like 1