DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Are people really shocked that ROH came off as amateur in their big moment to shine and dragged the show down? I think most on here saw it coming from a mile away. Fuck, I've had a busy fun weekend so I have yet to see much of this but reading it didn't live up to the expectations and the ROH nonsense has killed what hype I had to watch it today. ROH can get fucked as far as I'm concerned and the sooner New Japan ditches them the better. 

ROH is fucked in the dumper without any lube if New Japan decides to end the partnership.

• Like 2

Guest Edwin

For those of you who attended and/or watched this -- was the production really as bad as they are making it out to be or is a total overreaction? I personally don't follow ROH obviously, but from the clips I've seen the production seemed fine. And if it was as bad as I'm reading, what exactly was bad about it?

Bully was on Jericho's podcast and he was really pushing for ROH to become the unpredictable surprises type company. So if he is a powerful voice behind the scenes then I fully expect more moments like that. 

35 minutes ago, Edwin said:

For those of you who attended and/or watched this -- was the production really as bad as they are making it out to be or is a total overreaction? I personally don't follow ROH obviously, but from the clips I've seen the production seemed fine. And if it was as bad as I'm reading, what exactly was bad about it?

Production live was fine. The broadcast was apparently a disaster with countless production botches.

• Like 1

Angles could have been worked out better, no argument there, but I think that RoH kinda needs to show that they are alive and things are happening. As for NJPW dumping them, I'm not sure why this would really be the case since RoH didn't really do anything worse than they usually do.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

They would switch to the wrong camera at the wrong time and you would miss the spot. The stream had no issues and ran smoothly. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Angles could have been worked out better, no argument there, but I think that RoH kinda needs to show that they are alive and things are happening. As for NJPW dumping them, I'm not sure why this would really be the case since RoH didn't really do anything worse than they usually do.

There's also the fact that AEW has an agreement with AAA which would be a deal breaker.

I'm still recovering from the show last night. My knee and those back of the seat cupholders just don't mesh. I thought it was fun top to bottom, but man did some of those ROH matches just drag. Seeing The Great Muta in that battle royal was amazing though. I knew he was in town for some other show, but I never expected to see him. 

Like the Women of Honor title match was good, but the crowd could care less about it. I was amused though when Kelly came out with her I guess dojo students. I was like "when did Kelly start ripping off Taz's gimmick". So I guess The Beautiful People are in ROH now. That could work. But it's ROH and no one cares about the women.

I'm glad Koda won. It's sad Kenny wasn't there for that special moment, but whatever. They have to be building to Koda/Okada at the dome.

The ROH/IWGP Tag title match was insane. I read the card wrong and thought it was just G.O.D. vs. Villain Enterprises and The Briscoes vs. Evil/Sanada. That PCO entrance was so over the top and God I thought he was dead when he took a powerbomb to the floor. Then the crazy bastard sat up.

Best part of Matt Taven's entrance was someone near me screaming "HEY BILLY JOEL...PLAY SOMETHING FROM THE STRANGER".

New Japan needs to say fuck it to affliliating with any American promotions, and just run here on their own if they want to break into the North American market . ROH is shite, and AEW took a bunch of their talent, and then managed to steal a guy who NJPW was planning on moving up the card.

Bully Ray, Bookerman seems like a terrible idea. Whoever decided to book Mandy Leon as anything more than a pretty lady who can kinda talk sucks too. Dalton assaulting the boys might be the most intersting ROH thing that happened on this card.

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

There's also the fact that AEW has an agreement with AAA which would be a deal breaker.

AEW would drop AAA like a hot potato if it meant working with NJPW.  Agreed on NJPW being better off going it alone and just contracting guys out themselves- maybe have individual agreements with guys.

Edited by alstein

48 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I mean they do keep talking about wanting to be open to working with everybody. I wonder how serious they are on that front. 

Everyone understands that working with AAA means that CMLL is likely not interested in working with you and if CMLL does not want to work with you then NJPW also probably does not want to work with you and then RevPro is probably also not interested. You can add RoH to that chain as well or you can works backwards from RoH since they have their own reasons to dislike AEW and they'll bitch to their partners about it. So basically NJPW would likely have to dump not only RoH, but CMLL as well in order to work with AEW.

So to me it reminds of politics. You declare one thing, do something else completely and then pretend that it is others who are at fault for not working with you.

Yeah, I know there's some wishful thinking, but with how intertwined NJPW/RoH/RPW/CMLL are talent, storyline, and promotion wise, there's not a split coming anytime soon, nor do any of those 4 want anything to do with AEW for various reasons, most of which are how badly their long term booking got screwed by the split.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

They would switch to the wrong camera at the wrong time and you would miss the spot. The stream had no issues and ran smoothly. 

I highly doubt NJPW would stop working with them over that when the biggest company in the US (the world?) still often miss spots.  Hell, there was a couple times in the pre-show last night where they cut to the wrong camera at Wrestlemania. 

Isnt thevreal reason people are wanting NJPW to cut ties with ROH because they want them to partner with AEW?! Really ROH could have run a flawlessly booked, flawlessly wrestled and flawlessly broadcasted show on Saturday and still a large portion of NJPW fans would be moaning about it because they want Omega et al. back with NJPW.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't know. Some of that stuff from around 2010-2012 was really, really bad.

It was, but it's bad now, too. And least there was an effort to make it seem like things were happening during Cornette's run. I'll take ether rags over general ennui.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Raziel said:

Considering his first big idea was bringing in Enzo and Cass and doing a worked shoot overshadowing a tag title switch, I'm gonna lean torward bad.

Obviously, Bubba has taken way too many shots to head over the years.

I thought the broadcast was sub-bushleague. I've watched ROH TV before and it looks like dogshit, but I still figured that for a huge show like this, Sinclair or whoever would spring for better production values. Nope.

Like others mentioned, tons of missed spots, shitty camera work, swing pans with the camera for no fucking reason, and on my end, the audio was all fucked up. Like, people were chopping each other all night and I rarely heard the chop. I could hear some other stuff, but the ring was so poorly mic'd up. If that wasn't enough, I kept having an issue where the audio would be out of sync with the action. I should also point out that I watched this on NJPW World, but I don't think I've had any other problems with NJPW World before, so it really makes me want to chalk this up to ROH's production values being awful.

I also can't stand any of the commentators aside from Kevin Kelly. Ian is like a bootleg Mauro and Colt is kinda dull on commentary. Kevin Kelly is fine, but I only really like him when he's with Callis. 

If this was supposed to be any kind of coming out party for ROH then they fucked up. The NJPW stuff was good, but almost all of the ROH stuff was shit.

It is really sad that Sinclair seemingly wouldn't bump up the production budget for the biggest ROH has ever been part of. They're sitting on a fucking gold mine if they ever fully got behind them, and maybe also put Gabe era shows up on Honor Club. Of course, Delirious would have to go. No, Buh Buh Ray Dudley is not the answer. 

• Like 1

I don't get it, look at RoH TV and look at their MSG stuff, to me it looks fairly obvious that more money/effort went into MSG even if they ended up doing many mistakes.

1 hour ago, caley said:

Isnt the real reason people are wanting NJPW to cut ties with ROH because they want them to partner with AEW?! Really ROH could have run a flawlessly booked, flawlessly wrestled and flawlessly broadcasted show on Saturday and still a large portion of NJPW fans would be moaning about it because they want Omega et al. back with NJPW.  

Pretty much. Hot takes about RoH shitting up the show had started already when card was announced.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Like the Women of Honor title match was good, but the crowd could care less about it. I was amused though when Kelly came out with her I guess dojo students. I was like "when did Kelly start ripping off Taz's gimmick". So I guess The Beautiful People are in ROH now. That could work. But it's ROH and no one cares about the women.

"Camp Klein", as they've been referred to, get all kinds of side eyes from me lol. I dont get their purpose other than trying to make people care about KK. 

WOH needed some stars, but they cant possibly have felt that re-doing the Beautiful People was their best option. I loved the gimmick in its prime, but even TNA/Impact knew it needed a break. So are they trying to turn KK into a face after booking her as their most hated female character for several yrs? She also lacks charisma and suffers from being a heat vacuum. If we MUST get Mandy vs KK I imagine the dynamics of a wrestling match will work better with the heel antics of TBP to cover up the lack of Mandy's ability, but it's going to be a hard story to tell. 

• Like 1