DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

So... what about that Taven/Lethal match? I actually liked it.

Spoiler

Lethal probably should start looking for new finisher since Taven got hit by like 10 of them and kicked out of 4 or 5. Taven was robbed and I think Scurll is getting pinned at MSG by Taven.

They place filled out about a half hour in. I guess 6pm on a Friday in Vegas you’re gonna have some stragglers.

There was maybe some questionable booking decisions but from an in ring standpoint it was a really fun show.

Marty is super fucking over I think he should beat Jay at MSG but they are probably throwing Taven in the mix to protect Marty. I think he’s getting the NWA strap.

Cobb vs Taylor was tight as hell.

I loved Lethal cs Taven live and in person idk what it looked like on TV but holy cow that was an exciting match to watch live. Sure they had some Sports Entertainment sprinkled through but it was a kick in the pants to be a part of.

Rush and Bandido I was got like 6 more minutes. That match was a trip. I think I’d have Lethal drop the belt to Rush at Best in the World come June and run with Rush as your heel champion and build Bandido up to take the strap at Final battle.

Rush vs Dalton at MSG should be epic if Dalton is healthy enough to kick it into 3rd gear once the bell rings.

• Like 1

I skipped around through this show and I'm more than okay with letting my Honor Club subscription lapse. Jay Lethal and Matt Taven wrestling for 60 minutes? Hard pass. Rush/Bandido was good, really good even, but the atmosphere just killed it for me. Brody King continues to be a sloppy, dangerous, overpushed goof. That piledriver off the apron, my God. He is no Rhino. 

Edited by Oyaji

Spoiler

If somebody told me I was going to watch a one hour Jay Lethal/Matt Taven match, I'd apologize and ask what I did to offend them.

Matt Taven is like Armie Hammer to me. People keep saying they're a star, and I'm just not seeing it.

• Like 2

The match was awesome live. Taven in the last 7 years has grown on me and has grown as a performer. I don't want to like him but he keeps overperforming imo and its hard not to like him.

@Oyaji what do you mean by atmosphere? Was it the group of people in the crowd that wouldn't boo Rush no matter how hard he tried be heeling on Bandido? 

Edited by Web Conn

I don't see it with Taven as a main event singles guy. I thought he was fine with Adam Cole, Bennett, and Maria. I think he's a better tag wrestler than singles. The problem with that now is O'Ryan and Marseglia aren't at the level of Cole or even Bennett. O'Ryan's match with Jay Lethal in Japan was especially bad. You could see Jay having to slow down to lead him by the hand. It seems like Taven's reactions have been been changing lately, so I eventually see O'Ryan and Vinny turning on him. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Oh btw Teddy Hart was in the crowd giving out cards to go to a wrestling show at a bar in Vegas at midnight. Willie Mack was also on that show. I should have went to that show. I got another picture with Teddy Hart.

• Like 1

I hope they don't add Taven to the MSG match. He had his title shot, didn't get the job done. That's the way ROH used to be, a draw is a successful defense, move on to the next challenger. Lethal and Marty had a great match on PPV at Final Battle '17, and I want to see it on an even bigger stage.

And I don't dislike Taven, but I'm not sold on him being a main event guy yet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Reveal hidden contents

I hope they don't add Taven to the MSG match. He had his title shot, didn't get the job done. That's the way ROH used to be, a draw is a successful defense, move on to the next challenger. Lethal and Marty had a great match on PPV at Final Battle '17, and I want to see it on an even bigger stage.

And I don't dislike Taven, but I'm not sold on him being a main event guy yet.

A Taven title reign seems like it would be a lot like Xavier's reign. That means Jeff Cobb would have to be the one to beat Taven.

@Brian Fowler You have a point.

Spoiler

I don't necessarily want Taven in the match either but I don't know if Scurll goes over at MSG. I think it'd be a dumb decision not to strike while the iron's hot with Scurll. If he's not gonna renew then just have him be champion until then.

When's his contract expiring? Some reason i want to say I heard October. Don't they run Glory By Honor in October. Build to Marty vs Rush in October with rush going over.

The reason I don't think Marty is going to go over Lethal is I think he's going over Aldis for the NWA title. And the way ROH does things I can't see them letting Marty be double champion and making NWA defenses in other promotions for very long.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 1

If they want a breath of fresh air, David Starr should beat Lethal in Israel at the end of April.

Starr has some buzz he's a fresh face, he's really good. It'd be unpredictable and exciting. Especially considering last time Starr was in ROH he lost to Josh Woods and the Philly card shit all over it.

Lets have David Starr show back up on TV as Champion. and give him a run as champion like a longish reign maybe going until Wrestlemania weekend next year. Thye have to compete with All Elite and they are gonna have to be different.

Why not have an "anything can happen in ROH" aura. 

• Like 2

I'd have Starr go over in Israel. I'd also show the match in it's entirety on the maine vent of that next weekends tv and close out that show with a pretaped promo from David Starr with the Championship. 

• Like 1

Lethal is a really really good wrestler. But he's not a real exciting choice as a world champion.

But after Dalton's body fell apart, and with Cody on his way out, I totally get why they went with the reliable guy. But it's time for Marty.

I don't think Marty gets the NWA belt because I don't think ROH will let him do anymore with it than they did Cody. And William Patrick already went down that road and got the exposure. Marty won't bring anymore than that already did.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Rush vs Dalton at MSG should be epic if Dalton is healthy enough to kick it into 3rd gear once the bell rings.

Based on what we've seen lately, that's a big "IF." Maybe he can pull out something great and not do too much more damage to himself and then take some time off. Give him 4-6 months off and I bet the crowd would go bananas for his return. 

• Like 2

I think that Dalton and Rush could do lots of character stuff in the ring without going too crazy and people would accept it. But if Dalton can go then sure, kill it.

Even if you don't see Taven as the champ I think that nobody is seriously going to argue that he isn't good enough to at least be upper midcard guy. And well, The Kingdom has to go I think. Match would have been better without their interference, but it had to happen because thats what logically should happen. And it is not only that they are doing shitty interferences, but as already mentioned they aren't very good if good at all. Basically undercard guys participating in main event storylines.

So here is what I'd do. Have them turn on Taven. Like, lets say that Kingdom guys got mad with Taven because he "can't get the job done" and instead decided to crown new king... Kenny King. Then have Taven feud with them that would end with some PPV singles match against Kenny King with Taven going over. And well depending on how crowds react to this development you could easily have him challenge for world title again after that.

Taven worked well in CMLL as tecnico so I don't see a reason why he wouldn't work as a face in RoH, just dial down melvin stuff that nobody likes anyway and he could work as arrogant face/tweener.

• Like 1

Marty looks good with the belt btw. Them making it a ladder match makes me think Taven is going over. That or he's about to go over and The Kingdom turns on him and knock him off the ladder.

Edited by Web Conn