DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

They desperately need to get the belt off of Lethal. He's so cold and represents the old old ROH. I liked VOW's idea of going all in (har har) on Scurll while they have him and then have your next Guy beat him before Marty goes to AEW or WWE. Makes the most sense and maybe some of the bullet club bros will stick around for that. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

They desperately need to get the belt off of Lethal. He's so cold and represents the old old ROH. I liked VOW's idea of going all in (har har) on Scurll while they have him and then have your next Guy beat him before Marty goes to AEW or WWE. Makes the most sense and maybe some of the bullet club bros will stick around for that. 

Lethal tied the ROH record for successful title defenses last night with his thirty-eighth.  I believe they also said that counting the time until his next scheduled defense, he's guaranteed to be the cumulative longest reigning champion in the company's history.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I've been saying Marty should get the belt at MSG.

On 1/25/2019 at 10:08 PM, hammerva said:

Well that is okay because MVP is at the show.  What? ?

The pictures of this show is just depressing.  They are definitely in a building about 5 sizes too big for them.  In markets I am not sure they are even strong in 

ROH doesn’t even have local television in Houston. It was an odd choice altogether. 

It's disappointing that life after The Elite (and SCU) isn't off to a great start attendance wise. They've brought in a nice array of talent. Unfortunately, Delirious is still there, which is probably the biggest change needed. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but is there a point where Sinclair decides to get out of the wrestling game? How far do things have to fall? Things will look pretty grim if New Japan severs ties with ROH. Does it matter to Sinclair since ROH is such a small part of their empire?

• Like 1

It saddens me a bit to see ROH turn out this way.  But Elite leaving seems to be doing more damage than even they realize.  If they don't go back to smaller venues while they rebuild then things are going to get pretty depressing for awhile.  Part of me also considers this a weird kind of karma for Sinclair who are the main reason why I won't pay another cent for ROH stuff (that and watching the shows days later for ratings sake)  But as much I wish Sinclair would back out ROH needs them to stay afloat on TV.

I'm really curious to see how the true attendance is going to be for MSG.  Sure they sold it out but it was when The Elite were still around.  Part of me thinks people will either sell their tickets or just not go in favor of some other show.  It'll be interesting to see if the NJPW talent alone is going to be worth everybody actually attending.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It saddens me a bit to see ROH turn out this way.  But Elite leaving seems to be doing more damage than even they realize.  If they don't go back to smaller venues while they rebuild then things are going to get pretty depressing for awhile.  Part of me also considers this a weird kind of karma for Sinclair who are the main reason why I won't pay another cent for ROH stuff (that and watching the shows days later for ratings sake)  But as much I wish Sinclair would back out ROH needs them to stay afloat on TV.

I'm really curious to see how the true attendance is going to be for MSG.  Sure they sold it out but it was when The Elite were still around.  Part of me thinks people will either sell their tickets or just not go in favor of some other show.  It'll be interesting to see if the NJPW talent alone is going to be worth everybody actually attending.

I'm going to go. I won't get back what I paid for it, and there is always the possiblity of Marty Scurll winning the world title. 

I think my dream match for this show might be PCO vs. Minoru Suzuki. I want to see them chop the bejeezus out of each other.

• Like 2

It’s too bad people are tuning out because the show is the best wrestling show this side of NXT (Which I don’t see as I don’t have the network but hear good things). This week was so fun: the great squash by Taylor, the healing of the Kingdom, the VE debut and the Bully promo to cap it off.  Billy needs some backup that he can boss around and take the falls for him.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, caley said:

It’s too bad people are tuning out because the show is the best wrestling show this side of NXT (Which I don’t see as I don’t have the network but hear good things). This week was so fun: the great squash by Taylor, the healing of the Kingdom, the VE debut and the Bully promo to cap it off.  Billy needs some backup that he can boss around and take the falls for him.  

Bully Ray, Shane Taylor, and Silas Young would work.

Cheeseburger, Eli Isom, and Ryan Nova got way too much offense against VE. I can't wait until someone destroys Taven's fake world title. It's going to get a huge pop if it happens.

I liked Juice vs. PJ Black until the DQ finish, although it made sense and helps lead to what's next for Juice. I was hoping PJ was going to slap Juice with his glove when he took it off. I liked Aldis on commentary and love him having his own NWA microphone with him. That was a nice touch.

• Like 1

I think the MSG show will do fine, if they have Okada and Naito on there.  Those two are draws in America.   At the CEO show, Naito was getting every bit as much pop and interest as Omega, and there was just as much LIJ merch among the CEO attendees as there was Omega merch. 

Also, folks who hit the New Beginning shows were upset they weren't getting Nagata.  Nagata's cool as hell, but at this point in his career he isn't Naito or Okada.   There's going to be a lot more NJPW fans in NYC than there are in Charlotte, even if I think NJPW does best in old WCW areas where WWE has never truly been loved.

Also Lethal is ROH's ace , you can't just move him away from things without a good reason.  I'm expecting Lethal to pick up a big win (if Naito beats Taichi, I won't be surprised if Lethal pins Naito to set up another IC match- I watched the Naito/Lethal match from 2016 last night and it was really good)

I haven't seen any numbers, but from watching the shows first and third nights looked okay as far as attendance goes? And lets be real here, night 2 building would have looked just as bad with The Elite around.

Honestly watching these three shows and reading some of the reactions, here and in other places, I kinda wonder if I don't get something.

Is Lethal cold? Personally I'm not really a fan of him, but it looks like he gets reactions and carries himself well as the champ. Only one who feels like capable replacement at the moment is Marty.

So should they go with Marty? Marty got a cool new faction, stopped acting like comedy wrestler and is getting wins while Lethal is dealing with stuff has piled up. They probably are going to do a match at MSG or Anniversary show and I doubt that he is winning. Like whole idea of "we lost The Elite so to prove that we are totally viable company without them we are going to go immediately with last remaining The Elite member" sounds weird to me. Would they sell more tickets with him as the champ? Probably, but I doubt that it would be a big difference and it would just reinforce this belief that RoH is nothing without The Elite guys.

Delirious gets shat on for his booking almost every time someone brings up RoH yet I don't see what exactly was wrong with booking on these three shows?

Tag Wars ended with Brody/PCO winning it like everyone wanted. I would have picked Lethal/Gresham over Juice/Finlay for their opponents, but it probably makes more sense to have Lethal lose in 3-way semi-final rather than in finals. LifeBlood also started feuding with Bricoes/other bad guys second night so in a way it looked plausible that Juice/Finlay might win and continue their feud.

Bandido got "injured" on first night so that he could do big return on night 2 and save the day. Personally I think that he overdid it with his leg and back selling, but I don't really see anything wrong with that angle.

TK O'Ryan/Gresham and Vinny/Lethal built towards eventual Lethal/Taven showdown and I think it was fine?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Kelly Klein is awful at wrestling. 

She has been ok in her Stardom appearances, but I rarely watch ROH outside of joshi matches and the Twisted Sisterz so she could be worse there. Thought Klein had a nice match with Momo last year during the 5*GP.

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

I got it on BluRay might look for ya what seen and what so you look like cuz you're not Scott Ian in real life unless you actually are.

when Randy The Ram is making his entrance for the match with The Ayatollah

• Like 2

ROH is running Lakeland this Saturday. Not sure I'll make it as I'm not sure I want to make the drive just to see Rush, Gresham, the Briscoes, Haskins, Hot Sauce and Cobb. The rest of the guys on the roster I don't like that much.

I think ZSJ can be OK with the right opponent, but not Rocky Romero.

Tickets are cheap, so if I'm bored and free I may make the trip.