DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

14 hours ago, Oyaji said:

They've probably lost a sizable chunk of their audience to the elite split. Now they're best hope for the foreseeable future is trying to maintain their audience from the past two years. 

I don't think they've lost it yet- I mean, AEW hasn't put anything out yet, and it's not like you can't watch and like both.  

Yeah - it seems like the doom and gloom for ROH may be a bit misguided. This talent reload is pretty eye opening and ROH has more depth than they've had in a while. My big question is how effective their play for the lucha audience will be. Also, top of the card booking feels stale with the champs. I get why they have the belts but guys like Lethal and the Briscos just feel like relics of a bygone era. They should immediately pull the trigger and shoot some of these new signees to the top of the card. 

Per Meltzer - Rush contract is for 1 year, $155,000 deal. He is exclusive to ROH for the US and Ontario market. His CMLL deal expires in 2020.

Basically CMLL had to approve any deal Rush was going to sign so he was only ever going to be allowed to sign with ROH

Because Paco Alonso had Rush under contract for two more years, he had the power to decide where he was going and had to approve any contract in the U.S. market. Bauer had been in talks with Rush and Alonso about a contract for the U.S. market, which would not have been exclusive for North America, but would have given MLW the right to keep him from going elsewhere.

The MLW offer included them agreeing to a number of deal points Rush had asked for, including using his two brothers, Dragon Lee and Mistico, which Bauer would have wanted to push anyway, and some involvement of his father Bestia del Ring, although perhaps not in the ring. Also part of the deal was not just getting him a new working U.S. visa (he had a visa that just expired), which ROH is now working on doing, but also on getting his wife and children U.S. citizenship and they would move to the U.S. Another aspect of the deal was that Bein Sports would use him as an analyst for their Mexican soccer coverage in Spanish so he could break into sports broadcasting.

Alonso’s main demand was that he would have the right to use Rush on Fridays and other major dates. MLW was willing to run for the most part on Thursdays and Saturdays, which don’t coincide with major CMLL shows.

Which seems to explain Bauer's tweet about "politics getting in the way" of the Mania match against LA Park

From what I was told, Bestia is not allowed in the US. 

At this point, of all the Munoz family, I’d actually only miss Dragon Lee in CMLL. 

It seems Rush is only motivated some of the time (in a way can’t blame him). 

FWIW, ROH ticket sales early this year are  looking somewhat down from their last few trips through the same markets and buildings, although if the talent reload takes, they could easily bounce back.

26 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

FWIW, ROH ticket sales early this year are  looking somewhat down from their last few trips through the same markets and buildings, although if the talent reload takes, they could easily bounce back.

Has anyone collected and posted this data somewhere?

This week's episode featured a burning hammer -> springboard shotgun kick combo which got a 2...

It was cool to see Rush though.

But then we got Rhett Titus in a thong and oiled up.

The Silas/BCB no DQ match was ok.

So this show was all over the place.

On 1/21/2019 at 7:13 AM, Archibald said:

My jaw dropped after that sequence of events. Serious candidate for "dumbest shit in 2019" trophy.

I didn’t really think it was that bad because it wasn’t a headdroppy burning hammer but more of a reverse reverse Attitude Adjustment.  It wasn’t particularly nasty or anything so I didn’t find it any more egregious than other things you see on your standard ROH show. I was more upset that Isom won over Facade because Isom is still really bland and undeveloped to me.  

Also have to give Facade credit for possibly saving Isom’s life on that dive where he was initially out of position.  Scary stuff