DVDVR Message Board

2019 WRESTLING MERCH

RIPPA

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Bray Wyatt/The Fiend is now the # 1 merch seller in the company according to Dave Meltzer. Not surprised. Hell of a turnaround for Wyatt in 2019.

...And certain people scoffed when I said that “Lars should be jobbed out to Bray” to instantly put him over. But I don’t believe he should be champ. He should be in the Undertaker position of being the clean up guy that permanently gets rid of the heel act that’s run it’s course.

See the thing with these AEW Merch announcement tweetpics?

EKJYPTiW4AAVMV9?format=jpg&name=large

A lot of times, the picture on the left (which is not the shirt design) looks better than the picture on the right (which is the shirt). I don't know why there is a feeling that you merchandise for someone should never involve having a picture of them on it (except Orange Cassidy), but there you are.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 10:02 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

...And certain people scoffed when I said that “Lars should be jobbed out to Bray” to instantly put him over. But I don’t believe he should be champ. He should be in the Undertaker position of being the clean up guy that permanently gets rid of the heel act that’s run it’s course.

But honestly that's WHY Bray should be champ- because he's like the Undertaker.

Undertaker was always in the "He's not The Guy. But quite frankly, you don't HAVE The Guy right now. No one on the roster has anything resembling the momentum to be The Guy. So, it's not a bad idea to put the strap on someone the fans believe in as a badass monster and have them murk people until somebody catches fire and can be The Guy."

We really ought to create a thread for pro-wrestling shit that you would wear in public. I will freely admit to wearing three of Christopher Daniels "Fallen Angel" shirts to pieces as my darts shirts and I don't know how many NWO shirts I wore to pieces over the years. (One got torn in a bar fight, this guy asked me "What does that stand for?" and as I started to explain opening with "New World Order", he called me a commie and took a swing at me.) Over the years I have learned that guys tend to be more reasonable, or at least more compliant if you kick them in the balls and then the head when they double over... But I digress... 

What wrestling merch will you wear in public? I don't even think about it, but then I'm 5'11 and 260 lbs., even troublemakers at the pub will tend to look elsewhere for their entertainment.  The big guy drinking coffee at the bar just doesn't seem like the best choice to fool with...

• Like 1

The W*ING shirts I got recently have gone over pretty well around Halloween time though that might be kinda sorta cheating.  I proudly wore the LIJ DOTD shirt on the actual day though I'd wear that year-round with no issue.  Oh, and the shirt of Minoru Suzuki visiting Washington came in handy when Cheeto sped through Baltimore a couple months ago.  Aside from that there's not many that I'd consider ones worth wearing in public.

But I will say that Sami Toy Story shirt is one I'm thinking to get.  Not only is it a neat design but also is donating to his charity.  While I'm not sure if I'd wear the shirt in public I'll at least feel good about buying it.

• Like 3

Fortunately my work has a super chill dress-code so I rock t-shirts every day, but the only wrestling ones I wear are:

- Ciampa's Blackheart shirt, since everyone just thinks it's a band shirt.

- Desperado's Hecho in Mexico shirt

- Minoru Suzuki's The King shirt and the new SPLX SZK-GN shirt.

26 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I have no problem wearing my Macho Man, NWO, LIJ, Elite, or Naito "Destino" shirt out in public.

With the exception of the NWO shirts, I'd say our taste in what wrestling merch we'll wear in public runs pretty similar (I'm not knocking the decision to wear NWO merch, I just haven't got any).

I've got a purple version of the classic Macho Man "sunglasses" shirt that I've worn to a variety of different cities, music festivals, wherever. I've probably gotten more (positive) comments and compliments on that shirt than just about any other piece of clothing I own. At the very least, a stranger or two is good for an "OH YEAH!" each time I wear it.

Other than that, most of the stuff I own is NJPW-centric, or Elite-era Bullet Club shirts. I admit I occasionally feel a bit self-conscious wearing anything Bullet Club out, due to some of the stigma attached from certain segments of wrestling fandom. But, so far I haven't had any negative real world interactions with people over it. 

I wore an Okada shirt to a very loud venue, and a very, very drunk person got quite curious about it. I count myself kind of lucky that she wandered off in a daze before I had to shout "HE'S A JAPANESE PRO WRESTLER!" over the band.

• Like 1

I generally don't buy anything I won't wear in public, but I don't have a thriving instagram. My go-to wrestling shirts are my Okada "Too Awesome Dropkick" and my Takayama Everest German Suplex shirt(below). That was the first shirt I managed to actually get from Japan. I posted this a few months ago, but my Mr. Danger Steakhouse shirt is my #1: https://imgur.com/a/mzY76Db

TFhIwy5.jpg

Edited by JetBlack83
Fixed the spacing.
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I have no problem wearing my Macho Man, NWO, LIJ, Elite, or Naito "Destino" shirt out in public. I think one of my parameters for buying shirts is "would I wear this in public"? Lol

Why is that girl flipping us off? Something we said? Seth Rollins fan?

• Haha 1

On 11/29/2019 at 7:36 PM, AxB said:

See the thing with these AEW Merch announcement tweetpics?

A lot of times, the picture on the left (which is not the shirt design) looks better than the picture on the right (which is the shirt). I don't know why there is a feeling that you merchandise for someone should never involve having a picture of them on it (except Orange Cassidy), but there you are.

Someone should let the AEW Merch people know that there are T-Shirts colors other than black.

7 hours ago, JetBlack83 said:

I generally don't buy anything I won't wear in public, but I don't have a thriving instagram. My go-to wrestling shirts are my Okada "Too Awesome Dropkick" and my Takayama Everest German Suplex shirt(below). That was the first shirt I managed to actually get from Japan. I posted this a few months ago, but my Mr. Danger Steakhouse shirt is my #1: https://imgur.com/a/mzY76Db

TFhIwy5.jpg

If anyone remembers who the person on this board was that did a run of those Takayama shirts in a million different colors on American Apparel shirts was, I would be WAY fucking into getting another couple, as the two I bought 10 years or so ago are now dead and gone.

7 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Again, my work has a chill dress code and looks the other way for me wearing them, so I wear whatever I have. I mean, if you are willing to buy a shirt and not wear it, what's the point of owning it?

Wanting guys to get a merch check? 

I think the only wwf stuff I have bought in years are a regal shirt and a goldust shirt. Dont think I ever took them out of their bags. 

On 12/1/2019 at 2:01 PM, OSJ said:

Over the years I have learned that guys tend to be more reasonable, or at least more compliant if you kick them in the balls and then the head when they double over... But I digress... 

Strong advice. You should write books of some sort. Oh, wait. Carry on.

7 hours ago, Goodear said:

Someone should let the AEW Merch people know that there are T-Shirts colors other than black.

Not for large chunks of the wrestling fanbase. Emphasis on chunk.

• Haha 2