Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
RIPPA

2019 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA

Recommended Posts

If you want to see a good reason to say "Fuck Barstool", here's a good read:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God Dammit

Per Deadline - Sinclair is buying the YES Network

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2019 at 11:26 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

If you want to see a good reason to say "Fuck Barstool", here's a good read:

 

There are bad reasons to say "Fuck Barstool"?

 

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

God Dammit

Per Deadline - Sinclair is buying the YES Network

It's a combination of Sinclair, Amazon, and the Yankees themselves.  I think the deal is Sinclair just handles airing the games, Amazon handles streaming, and the Yankees do everything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I blame PWI's shitting reporting of Deadline's story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

God Dammit

Per Deadline - Sinclair is buying the YES Network

Actually that's great because I bet they start showing ROH on YES.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2019 at 6:20 PM, sabremike said:

Actually that's great because I bet they start showing ROH on YES.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Mets beat writer Marty Noble passed away Sunday, apparently had at the ballpark in spring training. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently a turkey vulture crashed through Stephen A. Smith's office window today.

Must have smelled some of his opinions.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Apparently a turkey vulture crashed through Stephen A. Smith's office window today.

Must have smelled some of his opinions.

Everybody should stop what they are doing right now and go listen to the LeBatard show from yesterday.  They went into full news gathering mode to get to the bottom of this obvious attack.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upon further reflection, I would like to apologize for equating Stephen A. Smith's opinions with roadkill.  It was inaccurate and unkind.

At least the vulture can subsist on roadkill.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My question is, who was higher paid than him?  That dude seems to be on either ESPN television or ESPN Radio for 12 hours a day.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The story seems to imply that Greenberg, Wilbon and Kornheiser were all making more than him. (All in the $6.5 million range)

I wonder what Chris Berman's max salary was and if he was the previous holder (though again - salaries are much different today than even say 10 years ago)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have thought Berman or Gruden. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

A good April Fools joke:

 

 

"she blew me off" is probably not the best turn of phrase to use for clarity's sake.  And this guy's a professional writer?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Wilbon and Kornheiser were making more for their 30 minutes a day than Stephen A. Smith's 12 hours a day, I'd be screamin' too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, I can easily imagine Kornheiser and Wibon making more.  They've been their a lot longer and PTI was a juggernaut for the network in the early years.  The afternoon talk show block maybe never becomes a thing if PTI tanks.

Michelle Beattle was supposedly going to make $5 million/year for co-hosting Get Up, so I assume Greenie makes at least that.

Is Get Up still a thing (I assume I would have heard if they canceled it)?  I usually forget it's on.  I actually stopped turning on ESPN TV in the am and listen to Golic/Wingo on the radio.

I feel like Golic will fare better in the split.  Get Up doesn't look like it's going to become an institution, so Greenie could be hunting for a job some day.  Golic will have a job at ESPN as long as he wants it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TK also had the years on MNF, so that likely got him a pay bump. 

(The MNF years and moving to Red Zebra is when I got off the TK train. And when PTI moved from the ATF building I think to the ABC station.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Eh, I can easily imagine Kornheiser and Wibon making more.  They've been their a lot longer and PTI was a juggernaut for the network in the early years.  The afternoon talk show block maybe never becomes a thing if PTI tanks.

Michelle Beattle was supposedly going to make $5 million/year for co-hosting Get Up, so I assume Greenie makes at least that.

Is Get Up still a thing (I assume I would have heard if they canceled it)?  I usually forget it's on.  I actually stopped turning on ESPN TV in the am and listen to Golic/Wingo on the radio.

I feel like Golic will fare better in the split.  Get Up doesn't look like it's going to become an institution, so Greenie could be hunting for a job some day.  Golic will have a job at ESPN as long as he wants it.

Here is why I'm surprised Stephen A. Smith hasn't been the highest paid ESPN employee for years.  He works everywhere they put him.  Since the talk show in the early 2000s, Stephen A. has performed at a high level everywhere else.  If you need an opinion on anything on Earth to be presented passionately and entertainingly, there is no one else in the world who is consistently as good as him.  When you have a 24-hour network where you are going to need to ask somebody a question, he almost always has the most entertaining answer...no matter what the subject.  Is he polarizing? Yes.  Is he often wrong? Yes. If you look at him real close, does he look like a Muppet?  Yes.  But he's also the best in the business at what he does.  This is what people seem to miss about sports coverage, we don't actually need it.  We need the games.  There is enough talk about sports that launching a show with someone as bland as Mike Greenburg isn't going to move the needle.  I honestly can't think of a single interesting thing that Mike Greenburg has ever said, he's just a guy on television.  The only person who seems to actually drive ratings at the entire network is Stephen A., and it isn't because people care about his sports opinions, it's because he's entertaining.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Definitely a YMMV situation.

I rarelywatch the channel these days, but I could not think of someone who makes me change the channel faster than him (or Bayless when he was there.) 

But I couldnt stand him years ago when he was still at the Inquirer in the era of mostly local sports media content. 

But I'm not remotely in their demographic anymore (especially someone that loathes the football industrial complex)

Edited by odessasteps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Here is why I'm surprised Stephen A. Smith hasn't been the highest paid ESPN employee for years.  He works everywhere they put him.  Since the talk show in the early 2000s, Stephen A. has performed at a high level everywhere else.  If you need an opinion on anything on Earth to be presented passionately and entertainingly, there is no one else in the world who is consistently as good as him.  When you have a 24-hour network where you are going to need to ask somebody a question, he almost always has the most entertaining answer...no matter what the subject.  Is he polarizing? Yes.  Is he often wrong? Yes. If you look at him real close, does he look like a Muppet?  Yes.  But he's also the best in the business at what he does.  This is what people seem to miss about sports coverage, we don't actually need it.  We need the games.  There is enough talk about sports that launching a show with someone as bland as Mike Greenburg isn't going to move the needle.  I honestly can't think of a single interesting thing that Mike Greenburg has ever said, he's just a guy on television.  The only person who seems to actually drive ratings at the entire network is Stephen A., and it isn't because people care about his sports opinions, it's because he's entertaining.  

I think you've just explained to me why I don't even know what channel ESPN is in my cable package now.  If Stephen A Smith is the best in the business (and I have no reason to doubt that he is), then I don't need the business.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...