DVDVR Message Board

2019 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA

RIPPA

Someone already tried to edit Jim Spanfeller's wikipedia article to proclaim him a "smooth-brained incompetent who killed Deadspin.com". I don't disagree.

Just for the hell of it, this is currently moving up the G/O Media (what a stupid name) big board of most trafficked posts.

And Dave Portnoy and his barstool bootlickers can all go screw themselves.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Rocco said:

Deadspin is a trash site filled with trash people. 

I can see how you believe this, but sometimes you need trash sites with trash people who are willing and able to report on things that no one else is willing to report.  Seriously, can you think of one media outlet that would have reported on gamergate and all the bullshit around it?  How many sports media outlets don't have any ties to the people and leagues they cover?  Were they huge assholes a lot of the time? Yeah, but sometimes you need someone who is a big enough asshole to actually say what needs to be said every now again.  

• Like 4

Maybe you could have made that case back when AJ Daulerio was editor, but it has been like 6 years since then. There are definitely writers I tend to skip by, but I would say that Deadspin has been doing quality work now for 5+ years. And Splinter, imo, was doing downright important writing (especially Hamilton Nolan and his articles on union fights across the US), while still maintaining a similar tone to Deadspin and its sister sites.

2 minutes ago, elizium said:

Maybe you could have made that case back when AJ Daulerio was editor, but it has been like 6 years since then. There are definitely writers I tend to skip by, but I would say that Deadspin has been doing quality work now for 5+ years. And Splinter, imo, was doing downright important writing (especially Hamilton Nolan and his articles on union fights across the US), while still maintaining a similar tone to Deadspin and its sister sites.

We're on the same page.  My overall point is that they are one of the few places where you can get sports coverage that has nothing to lose from the major sports leagues.  There is a huge value in quality journalists covering sports on that level.  There is also a value in having journalists who have the desire to piss off the establishment.  The biggest issue with pretty much all media these days is the lack of people who are willing to speak truth to power, when that is kind of the spirit we need from people in journalism.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, lostinube said:

And...a whole bunch of people at Deadspin just quit. Lauren Theisen, Tom Ley, Laura Wagner and others are all gone.

Also, have they turned off comments?

They turned off comments last week sometime

They just posted 3 stories on the site, two of which are about pro wrestling (lol).   

Honestly, Deadspin turning into a pro graps site just because some venture capitalist didn't know what the fuck they had bought is an amazing outcome. 

• Haha 1