DVDVR Message Board

2019 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA

RIPPA

On 5/28/2019 at 8:57 AM, RIPPA said:

And now it's publishing and media operations are being farmed out to a company where the CEO proudly boasts of running his business line a frat boy, and intentionally being an arrogant rich elite.

https://deadspin.com/sports-illustrateds-media-operations-pawned-off-to-unpr-1835588571

On 6/21/2019 at 8:05 PM, odessasteps said:

For you Canadians, today was bob McCown’s last day on 590. 

Bob's salary and his worse than usual out of touchness with what is going on in the sports world plus Sportsnets bloated on air roster and the huge losses from that ridiculous NHL broadcast deal Rogers signed equals doom

On 6/25/2019 at 9:49 AM, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Bob's salary and his worse than usual out of touchness with what is going on in the sports world plus Sportsnets bloated on air roster and the huge losses from that ridiculous NHL broadcast deal Rogers signed equals doom

I had thought this could lead to a Bobcat podcast down the road, but people in the business put a heavy doubt on that. 

I had given up on PTS mostly due to all the basketball content. 

I don't know any of my local sports dorks names, but they usually seem okay. Green Bay area. They were bashing Florio the other day for seemingly hating anything related to the Packers. I'm not sure if tha'ts good or bad as I pay no attention to Florio.

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I had thought this could lead to a Bobcat podcast down the road, but people in the business put a heavy doubt on that. 

I had given up on PTS mostly due to all the basketball content. 

People seem to think TSN Radio and TV might grab him as a fuck you.  Bob isn't a big effort guy.  He was the highest paid radio broadcaster in Canada I can't see him hustling a podcast, especially at 67 years old.  I'm waiting to see what other guys get axed.  The FAN 590 routinely have done this.  The last time they fired McCown they had to beg him to come back and let him do the show from his poolside in Las Vegas

I’d assume he has a no compete to keep him from TSN. And given that Overdrive actually dented PTS ratings, I don’t know they would abandon it for Bob. 

I could have seen Bob doing a podcast from his house, where everyone comes to him. But like I said, i had someone throw a giant bucket of water on the idea. 

• 3 weeks later...

BTW, I'm saying it's 50/50 if we hear from Bristol today saying Dan LeBatard is getting suspended for basically saying their "stick to sports" mantra is complete horseshit on his show yesterday.

(He apparently hasn't been on the show yet today, so...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

BTW, I'm saying it's 50/50 if we hear from Bristol today saying Dan LeBatard is getting suspended for basically saying their "stick to sports" mantra is complete horseshit on his show yesterday.

Somewhere Will Cain is jumping in the air for joy.  Whenever  someone from ESPN makes comments like this, Cain seems to be benefit under the "we aren't all liberals look"

This statement from Keri's lawyer (via Deadspin) is uhhhhhh, not great.

“Death threats are sometimes said in a moment of anger especially when there’s an emotional situation of divorce and you’re seeing your family go down the drain,” Morena told reporters.

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I love this man so much.  

As a daily listener, I just knew it was a matter of time before he broke the dam on ESPN’s company-wide policy. 

Amazing.  The man is an inspiration to me.

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well that's not good

Wow this makes me sad. His book on the Expos is one every baseball fan needs to read.

Edited by sabremike

38 minutes ago, Jrag said:

I love this man so much.  

As a daily listener, I just knew it was a matter of time before he broke the dam on ESPN’s company-wide policy. 

Amazing.  The man is an inspiration to me.

Say what you want about the man, but Dan LeBatard is one of the few people in the media who will stand his ground and say, "fire me," over his principles.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wakes up and sees Jason Whitlock is trending on Twitter

Don't even need to look why to see that Jason is getting exactly what he wants... attention

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Wakes up and sees Jason Whitlock is trending on Twitter

Don't even need to look why to see that Jason is getting exactly what he wants... attention

That puts him in the same clubhouse with every take artist hired by ESPN/FS1/*insert talk radio or podcast here*.

He just catches more flack because he's a little outside of Twitter's echo chamber. He has some really bad takes occasionally, but it's also cool to hate on him for many.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

That puts him in the same clubhouse with every take artist hired by ESPN/FS1/*insert talk radio or podcast here*.

He just catches more flack because he's a little outside of Twitter's echo chamber. He has some really bad takes occasionally, but it's also cool to hate on him for many.

Nope.  He's catches flack because he's a black person who's entire career is based on stereotyping other black people.  

• Like 2