DVDVR Message Board

2019 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA

RIPPA

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Definitely a YMMV situation.

I rarelywatch the channel these days, but I could not think of someone who makes me change the channel that him (or Bayless when he was there.) 

But I'm not remotely in their demographic anymore (especially someone that loathes the football industrial complex)

I don't listen to a damn thing Stephen A. Smith says.  I generally see twitter clips or LeBatard occasionally cuts over to him ranting, but otherwise, I don't see or hear him at all.  With that said, he is the only person who moves the ratings needle.  People actually tune in to watch him.  As someone who pays attention to media, it's kind of fascinating to watch all the swings and misses, when the writing is on the wall of who and what is effective sports television.  Charles and Kenny.  Mike and Tony.  Stephen A. and a live microphone.  None of those people are giving great sports commentary, but they are all entertaining.  

15 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Is he polarizing? Yes.  Is he often wrong? Yes. If you look at him real close, does he look like a Muppet?  Yes.  But he's also the best in the business at what he does.

Getting people to talk about him in a "Can you believe what this fucking idiot just said" kind of way?  I guess someone had to be the best at that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Contentious C said:

Getting people to talk about him in a "Can you believe what this fucking idiot just said" kind of way?  I guess someone had to be the best at that.

That's the game though.  That is a reason to watch him.  There is no reason to watch Mike Greenburg, they could replace him with anybody competent and you lose nothing.  In a space where viewers equal dollars, that matters.

With that said, the most ridiculous but great moment in sports talk history was Stephen A. Smith talking about him winning the O.J. Simpson trial.  Him thinking that is absurd, but the fact that he punctuated his point with, "I've often said that," takes the cake.

https://thebiglead.com/2016/06/13/stephen-a-smith-on-o-j-simpson-case-no-way-in-hell-that-johnny-cochran-would-have-beaten-me/

Guest The Magnificent 7

I have a lot of time for Stephen A.  It’s not that I agree with him often and forget about inside voice he doesn’t even have an outside voice, but he clearly loves arguing and generally doesn’t give a damn. He’s entertaining in short doses and I always get a kick out of when an NBA player tries to come at him he acts like he’s a mob boss or something who can have people whacked if he decided to wield his power. 

I frequently disagree with Smith, but, yeah, the dude is passionate, usually intelligent, and can definitely talk.  

I liked Greenberg when he was paired with Golic, and was a big fan of Mike & Mike for a long while, but I always felt he needed Golic more than Golic needed him.  As noted, Greenie tends to be competent at delivering typical "talking head" opinions.  Golic was usually the one with the more interesting takes.

Smith is an instant channel change for me as well. Oddly, I think I was literally the only the person that liked Quite Frankly.

On highest paid, I know they have Rick Reilly an insane amount of money (even he called it "ballplayer money")

On 4/5/2019 at 4:14 PM, RIPPA said:

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Carton that judge making a cheap and unnecessary remark to get her name in the papers is an excellent example of how the American legal system is a disgusting embarrassing toilet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The great Tony Paige announces his retirement from WFAN effective September 15th.

If more people in sports talk radio were like Tony the genre would be in a much better place than it is right now. Pure class and a joy to listen to. The thought that his replacement will be that awful degenerate gambler wiseguy who I won't even dignify by giving his name just makes me sad. When the Shmoozer, Richard Neer and Chris Moore no longer work there I probably won't listen to FAN ever again.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

The great Tony Paige announces his retirement from WFAN effective September 15th.

If more people in sports talk radio were like Tony the genre would be in a much better place than it is right now. Pure class and a joy to listen to. The thought that his replacement will be that awful degenerate gambler wiseguy who I won't even dignify by giving his name just makes me sad. When the Shmoozer, Richard Neer and Chris Moore no longer work there I probably won't listen to FAN ever again.  

Carton's in jail for 3.5 years, so he won't be replacing Paige until then, if WFAN even deals with him when he get's out.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Carton's in jail for 3.5 years, so he won't be replacing Paige until then, if WFAN even deals with him when he get's out.

Thinking of JJ the frequent late night fill in. 95% of his shows are on gambling and he has the whole Deadspin wiseguy act I find as fun as having a hangnail down pat.

• Like 1