DVDVR Message Board

2019 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA

RIPPA

On 2/5/2019 at 1:35 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Quick follow up, Virk is apparently going to sue for wrongful termination.  My guess is they'll settle by giving him a small severance and that will be that. 

What he actually leaked, btw, was a conference call where MLB was letting ESPN slide on contractual obligations for studio time in return for moving the Sunday Night game to 7pm ET. 

Yeah but I can sorta see where Virk is coming from he just signed a four year deal and for everything we know this was a first strike. Why not suspend him for a few weeks and limit his ability to do interviews outside of the mother ship for like a year.

To be honest, I don't know that anybody did anything wrong there.  Costas voiced his opinions and criticized the "Football is Family" ads.  NBC decided he was mouthing off too often and let him go.  That all sounds reasonable. to me.

8 minutes ago, Tabe said:

To be honest, I don't know that anybody did anything wrong there.  Costas voiced his opinions and criticized the "Football is Family" ads.  NBC decided he was mouthing off too often and let him go.  That all sounds reasonable. to me.

He made a critical comment about the NFL, you know the type of thing we used to expect from credible and honest journalists, and he was sacked for it.  NBC just sent word to everyone that their "journalists" are nothing more than paid shills and sycophants with no credibility whatsoever. If you are OK with that then I just don't know what to say.

5 minutes ago, sabremike said:

He made a critical comment about the NFL, you know the type of thing we used to expect from credible and honest journalists, and he was sacked for it.  NBC just sent word to everyone that their "journalists" are nothing more than paid shills and sycophants with no credibility whatsoever. If you are OK with that then I just don't know what to say.

Bob Costas isn't a journalist.  He's a studio host.

9 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Did they just discover who Bob Costas was six or seven years ago? I assume by mouthing off, you mean "he was trying to do credible journalism on the elephant in the room". Maybe it's because I've been following the UFC for a long ass time and they always catch flack for stuff like this. People always trot out the "real sports would never do something like this" line. Here is the NFL essentially looking down at NBC and saying "we don't care if actual brain matter hits the turf...silence him." Anyway you look at it, it's fucked up. Even if you don't like Bob Costas.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Bob Costas isn't a journalist.  He's a studio host.

Jim Lampley is a studio host for many programs. That ain't stopped him all. Even though I find Lampley to be insufferable at times, I can't imagine boxing without him. 

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

Did they just discover who Bob Costas was six or seven years ago? I assume by mouthing off, you mean "he was trying to do credible journalism on the elephant in the room". Maybe it's because I've been following the UFC for a long ass time and they always catch flack for stuff like this. People always trot out the "real sports would never do something like this" line. Here is the NFL essentially looking down at NBC and saying "we don't care if actual brain matter hits the turf...silence him." Anyway you look at it, it's fucked up. Even if you don't like Bob Costas.

"Mouthing off" meaning being his normal sanctimonious gasbag self.

What did he say about concussions that makes him a gasbag? 

Criticizing the "Football is Family" as if there was something wrong with them.  

Jim Lampley is a studio host for many programs. That ain't stopped him all. Even I find Lampley to be insufferable at times, I can't imagine boxing without him. 

I wonder if Lampley would survive the Domestic Abuse stuff in 2019. 

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder if Lampley would survive the Domestic Abuse stuff in 2019. 

There are guys who go into the ring with domestic abuse charges. Adrien Broner, Marcus Browne, and Sergey Kovalev (caught a felony assault charge against a female he allegedly tried to rape in Big Bear) all fought to start the year. Boxing is still the wild wild west. Lou DiBella even said as much just recently.

8 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Criticizing the "Football is Family" as if there was something wrong with them.  

There should be pushback in that you can't pretend this isn't a gladiatorial sport. No one smart enough should look at those ads and believe that's not part of the NFL propaganda machine. It's a machine designed to make sure housewives don't play a factor in people changing the channel when some guy gets absolutely laid out going across the middle because she is picturing her little son in that exact same spot.

I think Lampley, being in the media, even if it is the boxing media, would not save him if the domestic abuse was publicized enough. And if it was from when he was married to Bree Walker (don’t remember if he had also any incidents when he was with her or just his wife after her), he would be DOA. 

Also, those Verizon ads with players putting over First Responders is another nauseating PR campaign for the football industrial complex. 

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Also, those Verizon ads with players putting over First Responders is another nauseating PR campaign for the football industrial complex. 

On the one hand, I think the stories are kinda cool.  On the other hand, they absolutely are nauseating for exactly the reason you mention.

49 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think Lampley, being in the media, even if it is the boxing media, would not save him if the domestic abuse was publicized enough. 

The problem is if we're being honest...besides like Mike Coppinger and a select few others...Jim Lampley is boxing media. Dan Rafael is more concerned about buffet lines and the media room grub and Kevin Iole (I like Iole unlike Fat Dan) is too busy checking the internet connections, hanging with his dog, the Las Vegas Golden Knights, and golfing. All those dudes love Lampley. Kellerman was basically Lampley lite for a few years and then worked alongside with Lampley for several years. Plus, Kellerman has his own history with domestic abuse and got suspended by ESPN in 2014 for saying he slapped a woman. That's your boxing media.

Lampley being the standard bearer for the entire sport is why he has a job for life with HBO even when they got rid of boxing entirely.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 6:12 PM, Tabe said:

To me, it's even more simple than that.  Costas basically did two things to earn his humungous salary at NBC: the Olympics and the NFL.  He "retired" from the Olympics and has become critical of the NFL.  Which left very little for him to do at NBC to justify his salary.  

i look at it more of a case of a relationship running it's course and less like one party did another party wrong.  

• Like 1