DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL LUCHA LIBRE THOUGHTS

RIPPA

It’s a little harder to do legends matches when the guys you have to bring in for those matches are so very old. I haven’t seen any 2010s Mil Mascaras, but could a Mascaras in his 70s outwork some of the guys they exhumed for last night?

also harder when certain legends who can be slightly better are very unlikely to show up to work for your company (Like, El Hijo Del Santo would probably be a “holy shit, he’s back?” guy for one of these shows but they’re not paying that booking fee)

Mascaras is done too. We've definitely crossed the threshold where watching some of these guys went from a fun throwback to just plain sad. At least for me. Do we need to see Super Astro slipping off the ropes & almost crashing on a tope? Do we need to see Negro Navarro reaching to reverse a hold but not having the flexibility to grab Virus' arm so Virus has to very obviously move himself closer? Do we need to see Canek being helped to the ring by a child because he can't walk for an extended period on his own. I wish these guys had more self-respect.

I assume that whatever bookings they take these days don't involve walking down steps or leaving their feet.

Two extra things

1) considering the conditions of some of these guys, why not have some of them make their appearance as cornermen for a title match between younger talents?

2) one of the guys in the legends main event was in a main event hair match 6 months ago, which should tell you that the regular CMLL roster is already relatively old, and they probably could have slightly less depressing legends matches in the near future by nudging some of their regular guys into being in the "Giant Baba comedy six man tag" troop instead of leaning hard on them. But then again, considering the talent that they should have been able to keep around but ran out of town... i'm guessing the old guys that are around are reliable enough to not bolt so quickly.

They tried the corner thing with Cien Caras like a year ago in a match with Rush & one of his brother vs Sanson & Cuatrero. Originally it was a trios I think with Cien Caras/Rush's dad involved but they realize oh fuck Cien Caras can barely move. So they figured the safe thing was to just have a match where the ***ONE THING*** he needed to do was an easy spot to counter Bestia's interference. So of course the time came for the spot and Cien Caras forgot it was his moment. Which led to Bestia freezing. And the entire match freezing. Then Caras remembered it was his turn to interfere but the timing made it seem like he was trying to cost his own kids the match. It was a giant humiliating mess for all involved. And we never saw Cien again. What a way to go out.

On 12/7/2019 at 8:37 AM, Cobra Commander said:

It’s a little harder to do legends matches when the guys you have to bring in for those matches are so very old. I haven’t seen any 2010s Mil Mascaras, but could a Mascaras in his 70s outwork some of the guys they exhumed for last night?

Mascaras worked a show around this time last year where he legitimately needed someone to hold his hand while he climbed the top rope for his dive. 

On 12/10/2019 at 8:35 PM, clintthecrippler said:

Mascaras worked a show around this time last year where he legitimately needed someone to hold his hand while he climbed the top rope for his dive. 

He also works with his entire body covered most of the time because he has open sores all over like many 70+ year olds tend to have. Still won't do a job though because "it wouldn't be realistic".

• Haha 2

Sin Cara (using that name) showed up in AAA tonight. 

Also (from Cubs)

• the new AAA version of Los Ingobernables was unveiled as Rush, LA Park, Konnan, Killer Kross and (the non-present) La Bestia del Ring. Rey Escorpion filled in for Bestia but disappeared when it was time for that group. LA Park & Rush made a point of attacking Blue Demon and putting him on their enemies list. 

• 2 weeks later...

I can't help but have memories of 1998 Owen Hart when I see El Terrible in CMLL matches after practically the rest of his group left the company. Hopefully Terrible will get to move to a Nation of Domination Owen Hart phase soon.

Edited by Cobra Commander

12 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I can't help but have memories of 1998 Owen Hart when I see El Terrible in CMLL matches after practically the rest of his group left the company. Hopefully Terrible will get to move to a Nation of Domination Owen Hart phase soon.

Poor guy lost Texano Jr first and Shocker and Rey Bucanero are both old and busted if he wanted to reform TGR.

Edited by Matt D

• 3 weeks later...

Despite some problems with the card I found the show very enjoyable and thought that Mistico/GG was a great match. Also, next week we are getting rematch of that main event. I'm not sure where this is going? Is Cavernario going to destroy all his old pals now? Hey, more Cavernario is always good in my book.