DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL LUCHA LIBRE THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Yeah the main thing I have gotten from the last part of this show is that Matt Striker is DESPERATE for an AEW contract   

Okay the idea of watching the hype video or this match face to face is fucking awesome 

This has been the most interesting Blue Demon Jr match I have ever seen.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Agreed. It was fun, chaotic, and presented like it was a big deal. Could live without Omega deciding he wants to be the AAA Mega Champion to prove that AEW is better.

yeah, totally. Honestly I could have done without wasting Fenix and Laredo on that match in general, but it is what it is.

Every other match over-delivered in some way: the indie dudes doing their wonderful thing in the pre-show, a totally solid mixed tag four-way,  the Cain/Taurus exchange, the good violence (even just the good intentional violence) in the TLC match, the awesome trios title match (which wasn't really bogged down at all by being a three way like I was worried it might be), and of course that brilliant red painting of a main event.

Maybe, it's because I haven't seen that much violence and brutality in a wrestling match in a while but I absolutely adored that main event. I remember Blue Demon Jr. being pretty bland when I saw him a long time ago, but that match was just perfectly done with the hatred escalating and finally coming to the crescendo. The hammer stuff was disgusting. Both guys were fantastic. I'd probably have it as a MOTYC but I haven't seen a ton of wrestling this year.

I was pretty surprised by the Wagner/Demon match.  Those two are so past their prime that I usually can’t watch anything either are in.  But this was the best match you could have ever asked for between them at their advanced age!  The whole show was great fun

One of the best Triplemanias of the decade... maybe the best?

Thought the 3 way trios titles match was best match of the show and a MOTYC. Vikingo is amazing but really everyone was just great in that match.

Pre-show opener was psychotic when they got going and lost the nerves.

Nothing was really bad. The weakest stuff was probably the women's mess which was expected & the semi-main which should have gone on before Cain came out and for the 3rd time now the Bucks (& now Omega) have proven they just aren't stars in Mexico yet nor do they care to work the style that foreigners should use in Mexico. But they were clearly doing their match for the AEW camera at ringside so they got whistled. The post-match promo stuff was terrible for the live crowd to but AEW is the boss here, not AAA, so this is what we have.

Main was not much of a match as much as a spectacle and it was a fantastic spectacle. The hammer spots were great & puddles of blood is why I love wrestling!

It was a very AAA show which is a good thing. AAA is unique and I would never change that.

Didn't watch in English but heard it was much better with the subtraction of Vampiro as expected. Hopefully Joe keeps coming in for major shows.

Joe was awesome. Striker increased his suckage level, because Vampiro was not there (and sucking up to Cody to get an AEW gig).

Demon and Wagner were not going to have a classic match against one another. But have a big, plundery, cluserfuck brawl with blood and with the mask and hair on the line, and it was awesome.

I don't watch a ton of AAA, but their big shows are must see. Something insane is going to happen, and as long as Vikingo is around, there's going to be one match worth watching.

19 minutes ago, SouderDrew said:

Just curious, but has Blue Demon Jr even been decent/good when he was starting out? I always kept hearing on the boards how great El Hijo del Santo was back in the 80s-00s, but never heard much about Demon Jr. 

Not really. 

I watched most of the show I think from the third match on. Didn't bother with the English commentary since I didn't feel like hearing Striker. Plus the English twitch stream seemed to be way more choppy with less people watching it.

LA Park's return was amazing. I haven't been watching any lucha so I had no idea about the context of him coming back and attacking who he did. But man those spanish commentator's losing their shit when LA Park did the attack and then destroyed the trophy...that kind of moral outrage and anger is missing in commentary. 

I know I couldn't have been the only one who thought they pulled a switch of some sort and had someone else other than Cain Valasquez under that mask. I mean when he hit the lucha spots I was convinced it was someone else. I hope he continues to wrestle. 

I'm all for AEW and The Bucks/Omega. But man their matches get so paint by the numbers. SPOT SPOT SPOT SUPERKICK SPOT. Omega pulling the mask off was a great moment though. I'm surprised people didn't try to go after him.

I went into Blue Demon vs. Wagner Jr not knowing anything about the feud. The entrance with them on dueling forklifts with the video was something else though. I was rooting for Dr. Wagner Jr. But I should have known Blue Demon losing his mask would be something on the level of El Santo losing his. The emotion was over the top which was great. The hammer and the brick spots were a bit much, but still a great match.

He just showed up and said the trophy meant nothing if he wasn't fighting for it. Ran down Pagano, called him a motherfucker a couple times, threw out the generic mask/hair challenge, tried to yell at Marisela Pena (AAA owner) but they hit his music before he could be too mean. It was really good stuff.

The hammer spot worked great because Demon doesn't really have any submissions that would cause any serious threat of Wagner losing if they teased it. But once he smashed his fingers and then put on the armbar submission while squeezing his hand the crowd reacted like OH SHIT THIS IS SERIOUS. It wasn't just about using the hammer for the sake of using a hammer. Also apparently the hammer shots were cut out of the live TV broadcast.

7 hours ago, Robert said:

He just showed up and said the trophy meant nothing if he wasn't fighting for it. Ran down Pagano, called him a motherfucker a couple times, threw out the generic mask/hair challenge, tried to yell at Marisela Pena (AAA owner) but they hit his music before he could be too mean. It was really good stuff.

The hammer spot worked great because Demon doesn't really have any submissions that would cause any serious threat of Wagner losing if they teased it. But once he smashed his fingers and then put on the armbar submission while squeezing his hand the crowd reacted like OH SHIT THIS IS SERIOUS. It wasn't just about using the hammer for the sake of using a hammer. Also apparently the hammer shots were cut out of the live TV broadcast.

I noticed the hammer spot getting cut out. The night of the event I was seeing tweets of videos of Blue Demon hitting Wagner in the back with the hammer. Then the next day when I watch a YouTube video someone posted of the TV broadcast it cut away to the fans. But it did show when Wagner was on the ground and Blue Demon was smashing away at his hand and arm. Which goes perfectly with your submission point.

——

Clarity on the retirement. The loooooong Goodbye.

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I'm not that caught up on my lucha so I thought I'd ask there. How excited should I be about seeing Caristico, Soberano Jr and Stuka Jr vs Cavernario, Hechicero and Templario at Summer Supercard?

Pretty excited. 

4 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I'm not that caught up on my lucha so I thought I'd ask there. How excited should I be about seeing Caristico, Soberano Jr and Stuka Jr vs Cavernario, Hechicero and Templario at Summer Supercard?

5 really good workers and 1 okay worker (Stuka). If given time, should be good. And they know they will (presumably) be performing in front of Rob, so they better make it good. ? 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Haha 2