DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL LUCHA LIBRE THOUGHTS

RIPPA

• 3 weeks later...

In terms of the major shows this weekend I thought Rey De Reyes completely eclipsed H2L. Not really surprising as the CMLL card wasn't too hot on paper so you would need a good crew of workers to salvage it. CMLL just doesn't have a good roster any more & the few who are left that try are quickly beaten down by the system that discourages effort. It's kinda funny how CMLL has evolved into the pure entertainment for the simple fan company the hardcore fans always associated with AAA.

Neither show had any standout MOTYCs or anything like that. Probably best of the bunch was the Rey de Reyes match itself or the CMLL semi-main if you don't watch regularly and haven't seen those teams do that same match but much better in the past.

AAA appeared to draw a good house but not a sellout & of course the most interesting thing to the outside world is the Bucks getting absolutely zero reaction to both appearing and eventually winning the belts. But that match/angle was only done for various political reasons so it accomplished it's goal & is nothing some audio overdub can take care of.

CMLL drew great for a nothing card which is not surprising and only makes it all the more frustrating that they can literally draw with anyone since their major shows are considered big events to be at... yet they still manage to pick the worst people possible and not even throw a bone to the guys who work hard and show up for every Puebla/GDL show they are booked on weekly.

15 hours ago, Robert said:

In terms of the major shows this weekend I thought Rey De Reyes completely eclipsed H2L. Not really surprising as the CMLL card wasn't too hot on paper so you would need a good crew of workers to salvage it. CMLL just doesn't have a good roster any more & the few who are left that try are quickly beaten down by the system that discourages effort. It's kinda funny how CMLL has evolved into the pure entertainment for the simple fan company the hardcore fans always associated with AAA.

Neither show had any standout MOTYCs or anything like that. Probably best of the bunch was the Rey de Reyes match itself or the CMLL semi-main if you don't watch regularly and haven't seen those teams do that same match but much better in the past.

AAA appeared to draw a good house but not a sellout & of course the most interesting thing to the outside world is the Bucks getting absolutely zero reaction to both appearing and eventually winning the belts. But that match/angle was only done for various political reasons so it accomplished it's goal & is nothing some audio overdub can take care of.

CMLL drew great for a nothing card which is not surprising and only makes it all the more frustrating that they can literally draw with anyone since their major shows are considered big events to be at... yet they still manage to pick the worst people possible and not even throw a bone to the guys who work hard and show up for every Puebla/GDL show they are booked on weekly.

The age old question: is way, way too much booking better than absolutely no booking at all. 

Their match in Chile against the Hardys was super hot and the crowd was every bit into the Bucks as they were the Hardys. This is more of a Mexico thing where the only foreigners who are instantly over are WWE guys. 

I was gonna make the point that the Chile shows were intended for "hardcore fans" but realized they drew 7,000 people with a mix of ex-WWE guys and indie All-Stars. The same formula failed in Mexico a few years before (including a canceled show in my city). And yeah, Archibald makes a good point on how there's a certain "AAA crowd", "CMLL crowd" and so forth, pretty much like Japan, were people identify themselves with the companies as a whole.

On 3/18/2019 at 4:58 PM, Raziel said:

Bucks showed up in AAA, got handed the belts to zero reaction.  That's about normal for them outside of the US.

Bucks were super over when they worked CRASH about 2 years ago. Before you could argue their popularity in the US exploded with the BTE stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

So everybody's favorite Twitter account,  Los Coliseinos, had an interesting thread awhile back in regards to Oro . A lot of the politics from that time period are murky to me, but he mentioned that Oro succeeding in AAA wouldn't have been a guarantee as the same detractors that he had in CMLL, were in AAA. I was just curious as to whom exactly these detractors were? 

https://mobile.twitter.com/loscoliseinos/status/1041519061589405696

Nothing has been announced, at least as far as something that I would say, "OK, this is 100%", but PWR here in California put out a super short hype video for their June 22 show in SF. Caristico is coming back, and Barbaro Cavernario is apparently on the card as well. 

Normally, I would take any kind of big deal booking like this with a whole lot of skepticism, but in the last year or so, they've booked Jushin Liger, Jun Akiyama, Ultimo Dragon, Caristico, La Parka OG, Misterioso, Puma King and more. I don't have any doubts that they will come through on this booking as well. 

I'm pretty fucking jazzed. 

Tix here if anyone local wants to go:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pro-wrestling-revolution-san-francisco-june-22nd-tickets-57936603942?aff=rss

a sign that I was not paying enough attention to things: I didn't find out until tonight that Gilbert El Boricua was Mil Muertes.

Not sure if I wanna learn the name of the "Fat Ref" from CMLL. I think "Fat Ref" will suffice (I think that he's related to Paco Alonso). But Fat Ref is no El Tirantes in regards to quality unbiased officiating.

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

a sign that I was not paying enough attention to things: I didn't find out until tonight that Gilbert El Boricua was Mil Muertes.

Not sure if I wanna learn the name of the "Fat Ref" from CMLL. I think "Fat Ref" will suffice (I think that he's related to Paco Alonso). But Fat Ref is no El Tirantes in regards to quality unbiased officiating.

Do you mean Edgar? 

For what it's worth, edgar is probably their best referee by miles over tirantes and all the very old guys like pompin.

Wonder why they sped thru the show tonight. Under 2 hours and they were rushing thru entrances. 

Vamp was a very lonely guy at Wrestlecon - did little business, wasn't booked on any shows. He dressed up in his Guardian Angel outfit and took his friends around taking pics with wrestlers who were actually working, all the while telling them all how much he loved them. Lucha Underground is all but dead.

Basically what I'm saying is Vamp needs a reason to be relevant these days & has never been one to tell a story for attention. Let's see how this one plays out.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Vamp was a very lonely guy at Wrestlecon - did little business, wasn't booked on any shows. He dressed up in his Guardian Angel outfit and took his friends around taking pics with wrestlers who were actually working, all the while telling them all how much he loved them. Lucha Underground is all but dead.

Basically what I'm saying is Vamp needs a reason to be relevant these days & has never been one to tell a story for attention. Let's see how this one plays out.

I posted about it in the general thread stating how my grandmother died from it and how it worries me.  So assuming it's real I wouldn't wish that on him or anybody and hope he gets through it.

If it's just an attempt to be relevant then I'll immediately say "Fuck him"  and lose all respect I had.  Hoping it's a case of the former though because faking it for attention is bad karma and sad.