DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL LUCHA LIBRE THOUGHTS

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Jay Lethal should win it and stay in Mexico. 

What will really happen though is Andrade shows up as the fifth guy and wins

Unless there's a sixth,  they already announced the 5th.  It's Vikingo vs Lethal vs Fish vs Samaray del Sol vs Bandito.  Vikingo is the only guy that works for AAA.  Bandito runs his own promotion and the other 3 are AEW guys.  But hey AAA.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Hechicero v Cavenario from a couple weeks ago. 

First CMLL I've seen in a while. It was good. There's a weird feel to everything, diminished, like watching a very good AWA match from 88. It was only one fall but they still segmented things out, with early matwork, rope running an exchanges in the middle, and a finishing stretch with exciting nearfalls. Hechicero controlled for a while, then Cavernario did. Cavernario seemed less toned than I remember, but he worked hard, was charismatic, and had the crowd to a degree. I thought Hechicero's rope assisted/slingshot drop toe hold where he bounced Cavernario off the ropes with it after ducking a shot and then hit the drop toe hold was nice and novel. Both guys had big dives, with Hechicero having a big wipe out too. He was a little more hubris-driven, going to the overly complicated entry point well once too often (maybe for a second conjuro) and ended up in the arm trap cradle suplex which started Cavernario's control. I would have positioned the Cavernaria tease later, after the splashes (inside and outside the ring). The finish was very well done. It was good, but for someone who hasn't watched CMLL in a bit, it was weird too.

AAA Triplemania Regia spoiler:

Spoiler

Credit to @DEAN for this:

LOVE #FTR, Vickie Guerrero and #FTR wearing Eddie Guerrero/Los Gringos Loco attire. #FTR are so thoughtful about their attires here and the Midnight Express look. Best tag team in the world 6 years running.

• Like 1

Here's the results in spoilers

Spoiler

https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/results/aaa-triplemania-regia-2021-results-new-champion-crowned

- Taya is gonna do both Impact and AAA which is great, those promotions really will be hers. AND, if she wants to show up in AEW, they have the connection with both of them that would allow her. So it really is the best of all worlds for her and that's both pretty damn smart and a nice place to be in. 

- Dave the Clown is wrestling in Mexico. I'm sure there are some people that will be fine with him staying there. 

- Cain went back to wrestling?! Okay. 

- The obvious person won the Mega title. They now have time to build it up and I hope they take advantage. 

The English commentary was pretty bad. I'm normally pretty ok with Matt Striker but he sounded totally bored and disconnected. Like 2 beardy dudes on a podcast talking about that one time they watched some Lucha. 

Loved the FTR promo before the ladder match, the finish felt wonky with Vickie just pushing over ladders and throwing powder in eyes right in front of the ref but it's Mexico and it's a ladder match so sure. I'd be ok with Vickie being FTR's international manager while Tully handles business at home. Never thought I'd see La Parka and Cain Velasquez get into a pose-off, that ruled too.

• Like 1

The Lucha Bros/FTR match might've been affected by that Fenix may or may not be hurt, as evidenced by him only being in like, 3 minutes of the match and teh finish coming out of nowhere.  It wasn't a ladder match until like, the intros..  So it was wierd, even for AAA.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AAA today announced three Triplemania events for this year which will feature a tournament that will culminate in October that will see someone lose their mask.

During their 30th anniversary press conference today, the company announced that the first Triplemania of 2022, Triplemania Regia III, will take place on April 30 in Monterrey. The second show will take place in Tijuana at Xolo Stadium on June 18, and the third in Mexico City on October 15. These shows will be broadcast live on FITE TV and will have both Spanish and English commentary.

The shows will feature an eight-man ruleta de la muerte tournament, where losers will advance. The “winner” of the tournament will lose their mask. Participants announced for the tournament include Ultimo Dragon, Blue Demon Jr., Pentagon Jr., Psycho Clown, Canek, Rayo de Jalisco Jr., LA Park, and Villano IV.

AAA last held a Triplemania event back in December, Triplemania Regia II. El Hijo del Vikingo won a five-way match on that card to win the vacant AAA Mega Championship.

The company also mentioned during the press conference that they plan on running shows in Dallas, Japan, and Colombia in the future.

That is very, very AAA.  I also can't see any of those guys mentioned actually losing their masks, so...

Let alone job on 3 consecutive major money shows. 

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The shows will feature an eight-man ruleta de la muerte tournament, where losers will advance. The “winner” of the tournament will lose their mask.

Animations by SimplySonia — …WHO? WWE Legend & Tough Enough Trainer Stone...

EDIT: Oh god and I just noticed they want to go to Columbia. So Konnan has an in with somebody out there but doesn't read the news. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 10:52 AM, odessasteps said:

Looks like Mascara Dorada was on cmll Informa today.

I'm really happy that this is where he ended up.  He can be slotted in right away with CMLL's current top tier guys, no doubt.  CMLL desperately needs someone of his caliber right now, and his style should mesh well with the likes of Titan, Hechicero, Templario, Cavernario, Soberano Jr., even Mistico.  The reasons for it all happening notwithstanding, they're all finally getting the opportunities they've long deserved, and he belongs right up there with them.  

That all being said, this is still CMLL, so let's just say I'm cautiously optimistic.

Edited by Evil Otto

• 4 weeks later...

So I was reading up on Mil Mascaras after someone brought up the match he had with Foley in 1990. Apparently a lot of promoters tried to get him to put over their champions cleanly, and that didn't work for him, brother. Also, apparently he wasn't too keen on selling for his opponents. Are there any examples of this floating around on video?

hq720.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEcCOgCEMoBSFXyq4qpAw4IARUAAIhCGAFwAcABBg==&rs=AOn4CLBi1ZtLFvj-U6lXQvldHgUgdDuOLw

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 9:16 PM, Thomas Bugg said:

So I was reading up on Mil Mascaras after someone brought up the match he had with Foley in 1990. Apparently a lot of promoters tried to get him to put over their champions cleanly, and that didn't work for him, brother. Also, apparently he wasn't too keen on selling for his opponents. Are there any examples of this floating around on video?

For US fans, the tip of the iceberg is usually his Royal Rumble '97 appearance when he refused to have anyone eliminate him and instead hit Pierroth with a plancha.

But the proper answer, as previously stated, is "every match".

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 9:16 PM, Thomas Bugg said:

This is my least favorite match of all time.

• Like 1