DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL LUCHA LIBRE THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

I know Mexican wrestling has been hit harder than American and Japanese by covid but if anyone has a rundown of their favourite lucha matches of 2020 that would be appreciated.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:53 PM, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

I know Mexican wrestling has been hit harder than American and Japanese by covid but if anyone has a rundown of their favourite lucha matches of 2020 that would be appreciated.

I am keeping track of my favorite stuff here but keep in mind the empty arena stuff is not really my thing. Wrestling without fans is not pro wrestling to me.

https://robviperlucha2.blogspot.com/2020/01/2020-motycs.html

• Thanks 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
5 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

I read Volador Jr vs Templario from the same show was good as well but all I can find for it are highlights sadly.

I found it, not great quality but better than nothing. I'll DM a link.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:53 PM, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

You're probably tuned in but I updated the NFF Master List. I can't imagine anyone in the world would be better served watching a bunch of COVID 2020 lucha  opposed to all of the old lucha that's been unearthed this year:

https://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2019/09/new-footage-friday-master-list.html

• Thanks 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

You're probably tuned in but I updated the NFF Master List. I can't imagine anyone in the world would be better served watching a bunch of COVID 2020 lucha  opposed to all of the old lucha that's been unearthed this year:

https://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2019/09/new-footage-friday-master-list.html

Oh for sure I love checking out the old stuff you lads unearth. 

Triplemania was largely what you'd expect. Kenny Omega-Laredo Kid was excellent and had some good selling from Kenny. Crazy finish. 

Pagano-Chessman belongs in the BLOOD SUCKING FREAKS thread. Chessman diving from the ring head first into an open chair was nasty, a lot of nasty bumps in this. Hugo Savinovich bled!

• Like 3

L.A. Park pretty much saved Monster Clown’s life on that dive. Lots of bad ideas on this show.

That said, I enjoyed it from top to bottom. I’m maybe turning the corner on Omega. I’ve never really *disliked* him, but never saw what everyone else saw. The last few matches I’ve watched, though, have been pretty great. 

I thought twice El Hijo Del Vikingo was on the verge of a bad fall and twice he turned into a smooth twisting dive. Him vs Kenny would be fun, no idea when that'll happen.

I normally don't follow lucha too close but quarantine lead me down a rabbit hole.

Hugo Savinovich occasionally switching to English to keep the gringos up to speed on the rules, customs, and other happenings throughout the show was the best English commentary pro wrestling has heard in years.

That main event was fuckin’ GNARLY for all the right reasons. Finesse shouldn’t be a big part of grudge matches IMO, and two dudes beating the mortal shit out of each other and recklessly tossing themselves at each other is high quality lucha libre.

Also; I half expected Randy Savage to show up during that Marvel promo match.

• Like 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Enjoyed Omega v Laredo Kid alot, though I would have enjoyed it more if the commentators had been able to STFU for a second to let things breathe. 

I found Triplemania via surreptitious means and Pagano/Chessman is pretty wild. Pagano destroying the tiny ladder, Chessman destroying his braincells on the chairs, Hugo getting wrecked with the guitar out of nowhere, it's all fun stuff. I realize that not only does Pagano have an LA Park tattoo but he has Jesus Malverde on his trunks, thus I suppose making his gimmick that of a Juggalo who works for the cartel. Them continuing to work with the tiny ladder was a dumb decision; I thought someone might've ended up puncturing a lung or something. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...