DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL LUCHA LIBRE THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Somewhere, the following phone conversation is happening:

"Yo Willy, its Manny.  You and your bro should come to Florida, get yourselves big pay checks and tall blonde white girls, its awesome."

All in Spanish. 

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 6:25 PM, Raziel said:

Tessa Blanchard (c) vs. Taya Valkyrie for the Reina de Reinas. 

Finally got around to watching this on AXS from my DVR and I really dug this match.  Super stiff and the postmatch was sooo fucking simple and awesome.

3 minutes ago, Robert said:

Your CMLL is dying a rapid death, odessa. Very sad to see the current state of the company.

I know. I was sad listening to your pod today withCubs. 

I have hopes that Virus’ singles match with Audaz will be worth watching. 

Annoying thing to me is that nobody can really do anything about it. Guy who doesn't watch nor like lucha decides that they should spend less money when competition is getting stronger. Unless he changes his mind due to some reasons I don't see any path forward for CMLL as it is.

Ironically it is good that CMLL hasn't been great for a while now so it doesn't hurt as much, but imagine if CMLL was actually doing everything right and then same thing happened?

• 2 weeks later...

Dumb Spanish language question: Have I always misheard the phrase for "three count" or is that phrase "Tres latinos"? it's something else really similar, right?

also, when was the last time that a time limit was actually used in any lucha (since every intro notes that there's no time limit)

Lucha is a land of complexity sometimes, that's why I don't think about why Canadian Destroyers are legal and Piledrivers are illegal

Upon turning on YouTube closed captioning on an old CMLL show.. I found that they had been saying "latidos" on pinfall attempts, not "latinos".. So basically I might only speak enough Spanish to get somebody to insist on speaking English instead. The benefits of living in the Midwest, far from any international border.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

...and piledrivers haven't always been illegal; it started with AAA. Right? 

Nope, they were illegal in CMLL before AAA debuted. The Love Machine/Blue Panther apuestas match famously ended on a DQ for using it.

Skayde has kinda been MIA. Navarro missed lots of time due to his heart condition. Black Terry has been on and off injured as well and still had limited mobility with his one arm. So there isn't much unless you are stretching to find good stuff.

In other news - CMLL did a rare good thing and put Star Jr. over in the Gran Alternativa. A talented and deserving guy. Curious to see if this was a one-off and he just moves into the mix where Dragon Lee was booked or if he gets a little push as a new star.

20 hours ago, Robert said:

Skayde has kinda been MIA. Navarro missed lots of time due to his heart condition. Black Terry has been on and off injured as well and still had limited mobility with his one arm. So there isn't much unless you are stretching to find good stuff.

Ah, that sucks, I followed them pretty heavy up until a few years ago and they were always good for atleast a few great matches a year still until then.

Are there any new generation guys carrying on the matwork style they do I should seek out?