DVDVR Message Board

2019 WRESTLING PODCAST DISCUSSIONS

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Conrad's handling of the Jericho situation isn't a good look.

Also, I need to know the identity of the unnamed individual in the "puke burger" story from this week's E&C. 

The obvious suspect is Dreamer, but I think they would not have shied away from naming him. 

The MVP stuff, while nothing really new, is compelling.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Cornette's general argument is that a fed with mainstream ambitions needs to appeal to an older audience. Now could you remove 80% of what Cornette hates without ruining the product. Yeah, probably. But the idea that the 45+ demographic is going to come a runnin' is questionable at best, and that will be a 50+ demographic soon enough. Nonetheless, if you implemented about half his suggestions you'd probably have a better show.

If Cornette knew what would draw, how come his booking never has?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cornette is getting some pushback on Twitter about being homophobic in relation to his reaction to Sonny Kiss in the battle royal. 

My read was that he lumped Kiss in with the other wacky characters in the battle royal but seemed too fixated on Kiss being a gay character and continued to go back to it in conjunction with the ‘guy with no legs’.  I would agree with Jim that there was too much wacky in the battle royal and if this is the roster, 40% of it can’t be comedy workers.  I think it’s slightly unfair of the people calling him homophobic when the Kiss character is clearly supposed to expressly stereotypically gay.  That being said, Jim went too hard on that minor part of the royal when the overall match was problematic.

In conclusion, everyone is wrong. Everyone is terrible.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Ben Kissel (of Last Podcast on the Left "fame") is starting a wrestling podcast soon. I assume this is the place for me to post this "news." 

Carry on. 

Saw them on Thursday in the 'Couv and had a wonderful time. Sounds like it will be focusing more on WWE alternatives by his brief mention of it during recent shows. He was at DoN and said it was fucking awesome. I will give it a listen.

It jumps around with each of the trio getting time to shine. It's the second time I've seen them live and I watched the live show they posted on their website as well this past December, so there's definitely a pattern. They start with cryptids -> Henry talks of aliens -> Ben talks about something wrestling related (Brody this time - surreal seeing so much of my favourite shit converge in one time and space) -> Marcus does a relative deep dive on a topic (this time it was Mama Cass and the counterculture conspiracy that the CIA was involved in so many of the deaths) -> then they finish with the disgusting "one for you, one for us" montage of rancid videos ranging from guys getting their fingers chopped off to awful medical conditions with the audience getting cute animal videos thrown in there to save their sanity and help manage their constitution (about a dozen people left at this stage, lol). I would say they are much tighter in presentation now than they were two years ago and it's the most enjoyable comedy show I've been to outside of the Mr. Show's tour in '02 or '03 where I just about died from laughter. Highly recommended if you enjoy their podcast.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you enjoy the absurdity of WCW 98 booking and focusing on that eclectic mid to lower card roster they had I found the podcast to you.

Days of Thunder is all about WCW Thunder. The concept is they watch only Thunder and the PPVs and see if they have any understanding of what’s going on in WCW based solely on Thunder. 

I’m a big fan of Thunder for how completely bananas it truly is.

• Like 2

Has anyone else listened to Keller’s podcast with Moxley? It is longer than Jericho’s and he explains some stuff a little more, to where it seems his gripe boils down to “Vince has lost his touch but everything is still booked by him/to please him, especially by the writers/producers who are afraid of being immediately fired for fucking something up.”

That said, he seems to confirm the rumor that Vince likes “good wrestling,” at least the way a lot of people here would define it. Keller asked him if he thought Vince was a fan of wrestling, and he said Vince likes anything with a good story, and that he’s seen awesome matches with a bunch of high spots that Vince will rip apart and year to shreds. It made me realize Vince would fit in well here: Bad (fantasy) booking and love for a good story in the match.

I did think when he laid out the run-up to the Brock mania match that was pretty insightful (assuming we take Jon fully at his word) in how a non featured match gets treated and Brock’s attitude when he’s not feeling the programme, versus how he appeared to be more engaged with Bryan/Finn etc

Keller is taking the piss with the intros to the two Moxley  podcasts. 15 minutes of plugging his shit and telling us what we will hopefully get to hear Moxley talk about if we dont die of old age while Wade is rambling. 

And I will never not find the way he says "WWE" incredibly annoying.

4 hours ago, bazzil said:

Keller is taking the piss with the intros to the two Moxley  podcasts. 15 minutes of plugging his shit and telling us what we will hopefully get to hear Moxley talk about if we dont die of old age while Wade is rambling. 

And I will never not find the way he says "WWE" incredibly annoying.

If we're commenting on cringe-inducing pronunciation, I'm sick of the trend of people pronouncing "both" like it has an L in it ("BOLTH").  Garrett Gonzales does this and it drives me up a wall.  Sounds like Fred Norris imitating Bababooey saying "boss."

Yeah anyone who complains about Jericho awful (and in the Moxley case beyond awful) segway into commercials has had to sit through the first 18 minutes of Part 2 with Keller.  Maybe the members version gets rid of this shit but man it was so long I thought I messed up the download.    And then it goes to commercial in the middle of the Brock story 

Edited by hammerva